The “unofficial” Everts Resort – Pool 4 Report

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I sat in for Steve Vick, manager at Everts Resort, this past weekend and here’s my unofficial Everts Resort report….

Fishing was very good Friday and Saturday and I found it hard to find a boat of guys NOT smiling ear to ear at the end of the day as they came off the water. Reports of BIG numbers of fish running from itty-bitty up to around 20″ were the norm. What caught the fish? Lets see…. jigs/minnows, jigs/plastics, hair jigs, sonars, jigging spoons, one-eyes, 3-was and cranks, 3 ways and bait, 3 ways and bait on flutter spoons,. lindy rigs/minnows… you get the picture. I heard of no big fish being caught, seen or rumored. Largest saugers hit the 20″ mark and a couple walleyes in the 21″ range got caught…. but nothing big. Guys talked of fast action on “eaters” though. Best fish reported came on larger plastics or 3-ways and stickbaits.

Sunday seemed to be a bit slower for most although some guys always seem to find a way to catch a good bunch of nice fish. Several boats fishing pink ringies had good fish in a short amount of time while the jig/minnow guys generally came off the water early and reported a slow(er) bite with more small fish in the mix. Largest walleye I heard of came from Dustin Stewart’s boat, a 23″ ‘eye, caught on a electric blue ringie and we had a couple saugers caght and CPR’d that made 21″+ brought in by others for photos, including a dandy by Bucktail Wayne.

Where? On Friday and Saturday, everywhere! From the dam to the head of the lake from what I was told. Best depths reported were 27′ – 32′ for numbers and slightly shallower for the better fish. Hay creek was being worked by a number of boats as was any deeper stretch of water on south. Sunday Hay Creek was good in the early AM from reports and then slowed to a dead crawl but guys fishing the dam did well in the afternoon.

It was great to get a chance to meet and talk shop with so many of the guys that went out of Everts this weekend. Hope to see many of you again on the water or elsewhere soon.

Looks like some more nice weather in the short-term. Go fish!!

Brian Lyons

Spent Saturday12/14 on pool 4 with BFD. We caught fish all day and in several locations. The largest sauger all came from areas down stream from Haycreek. I caught all my better fish on super doos, BFD made almost every bait he tried work. I had so much action on doos that I really never gave anything else a chance. What a great day to be on the water!!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Have a first hand report for Sunday..No big fish 17 18 inchers the biggest..But we had numbers right from the get go!
    Jiggede all day…hair and plastics..Super do’s best plastic..The top side of all the deep water breaks held fish for us..Down river haycreek..Late afternoon we worked the Y and continued to take fish just a little slower.. Later

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

what color of superdoos are they hitting on. do they call the “y” the T.P. thats located down river by the marina or park. is hay creek located down there also.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

The “Y” refers to the split where the dam is on the right and the lock is on the left if you are traveling upriver.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Color really, Didn’t matter but here are the colors I used..started the day with black/green and black/blue,went to yellow/white and orange/brown..all produced fish..Black and green caught more fish only cause I used it more…The fish were deep for us..and caught more walleyes than I thought we should…

ProV2
    Rochester,Mn

Hey GOOFY HAT did you try FUNKY PURPLE????!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I agree with bunny head ( )…. last time I was down color did not seem to be a big issue… though I usually have at least 8 colors laying out and I switch frequently… chatruese pepper finally made a comeback for me.. it had been pretty much roundly rejected all fall…. but last time out it was fairly effective… and really dark colors did NOT work for me… kind of the opposite of the last few times….. my BEST color for the day and it has been for the last 2 trips was a dark green (almost black!)/light green….. I fished with mostly plastics… but the Doo was still the killuh…. I also tried jigging spoons and sonars… but the Doo smoked them too….
    I also found Walleyes deep… my biggest came out of 32 feet!!… but it was only 19″….. the fish have been dropping deeper and deeper…. as the water temps drop… and I guess the current has been dropping too…

Brian Lyons

I caught most of my fish on gold or purple glitter head and purple tail. Some on a green tail. I don’t know exactly what colors BFD was using because I try never to look directly at him. All were caught without minnows, The tall guy woking at Everts said we didn’t need them and he was right. BFD said he looked unreliable and bought minnows anyway LOL!!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

SHHHHHHHH Pro V you be quiet about my funky purple!!!!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

That “tall guy” has a pretty good grasp on how to fish on pool 4, or anywhere for that matter!…..Don’t let his goofy looks fool ya! LOL. By the way James…thanks a ton for all your help this past weekend. It was easy to relax knowing the resort was in good hands while I was away!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My pleasure good buddy! Any time.

See what I get for trying to help guys out?! Pot-shots from the peanut gallery. That’s gratitude for ya’. Just lay off the “goofy looking guy” comments… you might bruise my delicate self-image!

Next time I’m suggesting guys use teardrops and waxies…. slipbobbers and crawlers… maybe even casting bubbles and dry flies…lol To heck with ya’ all

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Hey James…this must have been the last time you worked a “real” job in a LONG time. Not including your “reel” job of course-which as we all know-isnt really working.

BTW-do you know anything about bond trading? I could use some more time off around the holidays.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

We know, don’t we James……………..Am I your first “old geezer” plastics convert?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

*geeze* TBO….. you dont look like an “old geezer” to me!!… heres a pic out of the RiverEyes photo archive…. (thats right people… Im taking pix of you guys on the water!! )
    I had the pleasure of meeting TBO on the water last week……

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

If I win the 160 million in tonights lotto I’m going to buy me a real friend and then I won’t have to fish with a real fiend. I only fish with him now because his wife pays me to take him away as much as possible. By the way fiend, are we doing anything this weekend if I don’ t win the lotto?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

hmmmm checking the official (oops this is an unofficial report… so I guess this better be an unofficial archive!) RiverEyes archives… what do I see…. but Big B… and his fiend.. errrr… friend BFD… and even another friend yet!….

guess they call me River Eyes for more than ONE reason…. the ol glass eye is a snapping….. here the deadly duo was fishing the morning of 11-06 just down from the Y…. (about the same place I caught up with TBO!)…..

notice how I tend to sneak up from behind!…..

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

Who is that fat old man???????? He looks cold.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

geeez TBO!!….thats not true at all… fat? old? nope, nope!….
    cold.. well.. maybe ….. you can see the snow out there after all!!…. I guess its only fair for ME to post a pic of ME from the archives!!… (well come to think of it… thats probably NOT fair to all you innocent bystanders!)

so anyway… There I am… obviously wondering… WHY are they pointin that THING at ME?? Im JUST standing here in the back of the boat doing an exceptionaly good job of lookin stupid…… hey… now wait a minute… DONT take that shot… *argh*…!!….

Brian Lyons

Ah yes, fishin was great the day you snapped that pic Rivereyes. And it was great saturday,I was serious about the minnows. Late in the day I thought BFD was catching more fish than I, so I put a minnow on a ringworm. I never caught another fish until I went back to an untipped Doo, then bang I starting popping em again. Thanks for the tips tall guy

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

LOL! I’ve known for some time that the look of wonderment comes very easy for you but you look downright befuddled!
    I really like the EFN accessory wear! It’s hard to see the smaller print though……….wondering if it’s official EFN wear or if the deviant mind of Rivereyes might be twisting the acronym some
    Extra Fun Neighbor?
    Exceptional Forget-me Nut?
    Entertainer From Newport?
    Evert’s Fishing News?

The possibilities are many but the probabilities are few. You’re great on fish but not always on fashion so I’ll assume it’s the real deal! No matter, I love this look! It just SCREAMS “Local”! While it’s not as expressive as a camo-cap and blaze orange blazer, I find it rustically appropriate for the gray atmosphere! It’s a fantabulous compliance that aligns your inner statement with nature’s aura and blends as sweetly as sugar and cinnamon! And it’s so wonderfully sporting of you to show us your winter ensemble so we can all recognize you as you come jigging down the runway…………..errr, I mean channel. Those of us who are a bit more reclusive and camera shy will find this knowledge quite valuable, as we will looking for a corridor to escape the ever watchful “Rivereyes”!

***This “elbow” came from a safe distance, courtesy of the NBIC (Natural Born Idiots Club). Do NOT try this in person!

Seriously, keep the pictures coming guys!! It’s one thing to hear what’s going on but to see what’s going on……………it’s the strawberries on the shortcake!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hey James if the woman can”t find you handsome, at least let them find you handy??? Do you sell any Duct tape at the EFN store?????hee hee… Thanks for the tid bits!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.