Let’s talk technique….

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Let’s talk about about “3-way” fishing methods a bit. Specifically, line weight (and type) at all 3 sides, length of line between hook and swivel and swivel and bouncer, bouncer weight and style/color. Running a combo jig and crank/live bait rig? Does it matter much in live bait riggin vs. cranks? Reasons…..? Opinions….? ….Teach me something….. I’ve fished some of these techniques before and understand the basics of course, but am interested in the “secrets” of others’ success. Do you have different techniques for deep water lakes/rivers/basins rather than structures like a wing dam in a river? Water current issues? Talk technique! Spill your secrets…… I’ll patiently watch during the week to see what’s up. Thanks.

dan(or)
    Portland, Oregon, USA

Out west where the current is generally stronger and the bottom is rock (n, not sand or mud) three ways and plugs are my favorite method of going after those Walleyes. I use fire line 6 or 8 lb diameter 25/30 test to the swivel to the three way. Dropper line is 17lb about 10 to 14″ long with a 3 -10 oz weight, depending on current and depth. Line to the plug is 17 lb about 3-5′ long. Swivels in all direction from the three way, a snap at the plug and a loop through the eye of the weight as part of the dropper line.

Find the bottom with about a 45 degree or less angle, slowly sweep your rod forward and follow it back. This is a great aide in keeping from gettin snagged up. Fish usually hit on the drop.

Speed=barely make progress upstream.

have a loose drag and a flexiable rod.

dan

Our in Oregon Land where the walleyes are bigger and we keep releasing the big ones -)

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

i tried this technique last weekend on the upper part of pool 4…from rod to 3 way i used 15 pound test then for a drop i put a 1/4 oz. plain led head adn a power bait twister and fromt he swivel to plug i used 8 pound test…i had about 8 feet from swivel to plug which was a #5 shad rap….caught lots of fish going upstream, just barely moving and about half the fish came on the plug and half on the twister…..i set this up for my girlfriend just for something to “test”….she was outfishing my plain shadrap rig 3 to 1

jigger2001
    Rochester

Some of the thing that has given me good production using 3 ways are; When shallow say 2′ to 6′ I use a lighter wieght and a short drop line from 6″ to 12″ and a feed line from 2′ to 3′ and kick it out from the boat w/a tx-6 mini board as not to spoke skinny water eyes. In deeper water 6′ to 12′ I go heavier on the drop 1oz to 5oz depending on speed current and conditions and shoot the feed line out 6′ to 10′ as to get the bait down just off bottom. Same when using spinners on the a 3 way I will shorten the feed line just enought to keep it just off the bottom. 1 key thing about spinners that I started doing is I make my own spinner rigs not with line but with wire this allows the blade to spin easier and the is no mono to chew up allowing you to use a smaller dia. feed line.

For jig and crank rigs I mainly use this in the spring and fall.This a good way for the fish to tell ya what it wants. Do they want the bait bounce or dragging off bottom or are they going to chase a bait suspended. Plus if you are fishing tight drops you can cover 2 different depths at 1 time. And same as 3 ways I tend to use a 3 to 1 ratio depending on jig weight and crank. But the key is to let the fish tell you what they want and even better what the dont want. Hope this helps and good luck.

Jigger2001

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Haveing never used colored weights on a three way,… can anyone tell me if it’s worth checking out? Anyone had better luck using colored bouncers vs. plain lead? Does it make a difference?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

if your going to use “colored” weights on a 3 way, you just as well go with a dubuque rig and use a jig with a heavy 1 oz+ head…… this works really well and in fact the largest eye I caught to day I nailed on the dropper jig of this rig…….

other than that… I have not seen any difference with colored 3ways or other trolling weights…. I think thats more to catch fishermen than fish…… jmho

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I have worked with colored sinkers for a couple of years now. On Pool 1 of the Rum River I feel it does make a difference for me. Just like the colored hooks that seem to attract more and larger fish. I have a good supply of powder paint and I think I own every color made. I plan on using them on the river to see what it may do and today is the day. I will be on Pool 2 at 4pm , unless the weather changes my mind.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Hey Dinosaur-knocking off work early tomorrow to hit Pool 2. Can you give us an update on how you did? Looks like things really cleared up for a great evening on the river.

Good Luck!

predator_2

I have used both colord and un colord side by side…. I can”t tell a differance…….but I know guys that will not fish with an uncolored sinker.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

It was a very warm evening on the river. We launched at 494 and worked a couple of spots north up to the airport. Did not catch a thing. Saw fish on the locater but could not get anything to bite. Also spent some time scouting some wing dams for action. Even without fish it was an evening out. Did see plenty of bird activity. Many egrets , herons and cormorants but no eagles.

~D

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Dave,

Let us know how you do tonight. I’m gonna try and sneak out tomorrow evening for a few hours after work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.