Any Pool 8 walleye help for a bassin brother????

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Got the day off tomorrow, and told my dad I would take him out walleye fishing. I can catch these critters when I find them, but finding them is often the challenge for me. I notice the current is down, around 40,000 cfs this morning coming through Pool 7. I had the pooch out swimming last night, water was WARM and pretty clear. Says wing dams to me. Correct?

What part of the pool would be my best bet to start trying wing dams? Dam 7 to Cass Street bridge? Cass St to Goose Island? Or lower Pool? Is the walleye bite this time of year usually best real early morning, real late evening, or is any time of the day ok?

Thanks for an advise you can give me.

Anonymous

Moss Boss,

Ive always liked the ones in the south end of the pool. I think fishing walleyes is better down that way anyway. Fish the rocks down by Stoddard like you would for bass, throw cranks on the shorelines by hwy 35 or pull cranks there.

But the dams around Brownsville and Lawrence Lake should hold some fish.

Steve HougomFTR Webstaff

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Thanks for the quick reply Hougie. How does Pool 7 compare to Pool 8? I live on French Island, Stoddard is a long drive, Pool 7 is short. For some reason, I just always assumed Pool 8 was better for walleyes than Pool 7.

Anonymous

I think overall pool 8 probably is better it just seems more complex to me. Pool 7 is short and has more wings. Also, Im of the opinion that pool 7 gets less of a pounding on it and that can make a big difference at times. I would think the easiest way for you to get on pool 7 would be to drive over to that sailboat club landing on Lake Onalaska put in there and go fish pool 7. Stoddard is a long drive, but it may be worth it!

There are some good smallie spots down there too.

Steve HougomFTR Webstaff

WalleyesInc
    Il

Often overlooked areas are above the I-90 bridge on the black river there are many deep holes and quite a few bars that people dont work try the weed/sandbar directly across from the airport tower and beach goes from 18 feet to 3 feet realy nice bar that extends out into the river

lairnbear50
    Pool #8-Goose Island Campgrounds

I fish the goose island area a lot-All i want to mention Walleye & Sauger are there,its worth the trip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.