Motor Problems?

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

My first problem with this motor in six years. I have a 1995 Johnson 115 on my boat and it seems to be caughing and idleing bad at low speed and idle speed…. and then it just kicks after some throttle. It sounds as though another plug starts after added throttle (about 2800 RPM’s). … but just generally idling like it’s running on 3 cylinders. It also doesnt seem to be able to reach top end. At full throttle, I can only achieve 4800 RPM’s +/-. It used to run about 5600 RPM’s at top end. I changed plugs after winter storage burnout, but no change. I maintain the boat and motor like taking care of a baby. I have replaced the fuel filter and done other standard maintenance, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Can anyone recommend a good Johnson/OMC mechanic in the south metro that won’t take 3 months to do a days work? I need to fish! I need to have it corrected in a short timeframe (during a week/on the weekdays). Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

herb
    6ft under

splitshot, I had the same problem with my 88spl rude. Idle rough in neutral and rough idle in gear, sometimes even dying. Talked my dealer into letting me try a new powerpack and that took care of it. BUT, durring this trouble period I could still reach and maintain wot.

Hope I helped.

herb

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Talk to Jimmy Meyer at 61 Marine North of Hastings. He is a top notch mechanic, and the only guy who I trust with my boat! 651-437-3522

Tuck

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Thanks for the info. The 61 marine dealer was who I was thinking of first anyhow. You’ve just provided the support I needed to make my move.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Splitshot, I had very similar problem with ’89 Johnson 60H.P. I had a very good mechanic, and it took him a while to find a hairline crack in the “choke” injector. Engine was sucking air in through the crack and would not reach top performance, would not idle very well, and started harder than usual.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.