Cumberland Followup…….

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Alright,.. you guys asked for a followup to my efforts in Cumberland… Here it is. Every lake I fished (4) had water temps in the 79-80 degree mark. Water clarity averaged about 15 to 20 feet. Weedline out to about 18 feet on average. Fished 4 lakes – early AM – and late PM. Fished weedlines hard. Anything shallower was too warm and clear. Anything past weedline dropped to 40-90 feet usually. None of the lakes had mid-lake humps/flats. 1 walleye (3#) for the 4 day vacation! Way too many pike to count! ….Got tired of the slimers! 4 LM Bass with three about 5# +/-. I did not Musky fish at all (sorry). No matter what went into the lake (live bait/cranks, etc.) and no matter the technique, – only PIKE! Oh well, … at least I was fishin. I did not get to spend as much time on different techniques as I wanted. (Wife and Kids….) But it was OK. Before I can get back on river, have to head to western MN on next 5 day vac. …Be fishing Minnewaska/Reno/Emily areas of western MN. A lot differnt water conditions from WI., but I know lakes better and fishing will be better too. Good Fishin to all !!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Those darn pike! I suppose they were all hammer handles too?!?! Any chance you’ll tell us what lakes you were on? The bass sound cool!!! Nothing wrong with a one-handed score of 5 pounders! Do you suppose it had anything to do with the clarity? And did you by chance try any crankin’ after dark? I’ve read, but not experienced, where a lousy day bite can turn around dramatically when the sun goes down, especially if there’s a strong moon. Don’t remember last week’s phase………………At least you WERE fishing! That’s important to remember when the expectations find disappointments. Did you talk to any locals, baitshops, guides……………..? I’m gonna try and hit the Chippewa River soon……….I’ll have to let you know how that goes and share anything I can for your next trip up that way.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

normally with water clarity like he was posting… night fishing eyes is your best bet by far…….. been there done that… it works for sure…..

Birdboy

Sounds like some typical fishing for NW Wisconsin…. walleyes are certainly hard to come by this time of year, so don’t feel too bad! I was up at our cabin (near Turtle Lake) this last weekend, and FINALLY decided to focus on catching crappies and bass on the home lake…… instead of NOT catching walleyes. Sometimes it’s better to take was given to you and be happy. Actually it was incredible fishing… my gal and I caught nearly 100 crappies in a couple hours, then had our way with the largies… nothin’ big, but sometimes catchin’ is better than fishin’!!!

Birdboy out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.