Lake City or Red Wing the aftermath

• james
    Ankeny Iowa

Well things went right to plan. Left here at 5 am and got to Pepin around 10:30 and hit the water. With the wind and rain and cold weather the day started slow and stayed that way. We (walleyetracker) and I managed 4 small ones and left the water around 4 pm and headed up to Everts . I forgot to check the post before we left so wanted to talk to Steve and see what was going on. He gave us some real good advise . Thanks Steve. We hit the water around 8 am on Sat. and headed to the dam . It was not long until we had some good eaters in the boat along with two sturgens ,one mudpuppy,two carp,one sheephead, all these were released . We managed to boat 9 saugers and one eye for the day.I don’t know how many smallers ones we released . We should have used sonars but did not most came on split shot and hook in 12 ft. of water. Went back Sun. morning for about 3 hours and boated 5 nice saugers in the 19 to 20 inch range and one eye before 11:00 . At one point I had 4 keepers in about 10 minites . Some came on dead stick and if you did not see it move you missed them. One came on plastics. When we were leaving two guys came in with a real nice catch of eyes 12 in all with most in the above 19 in. range all on sonars they said. Wish we would have used them now. You know 20 /20 hind sight. Sunday was the best day and we spent it driving back home .Hope to make it up there again next month. Again Thanks Steve for the info Steve I hope your hunting trip was a big success. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did the day on the water.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Wow Jim, sounds like a lot more fun then I had on Saylorville this weekend! If you are headed over to Red Wing again anytime soon and are a guy short, give me heads up, I would love to go.

Thanks!
    Dave

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Thanks for the nice report. I will be heading to Red Wing next week. Do you know if Everts has sonars?

james
    Ankeny Iowa

Luckydog2 – Yes Steve has just about everything you will need except luck and it sounds like you have that. The bite should be better next week according to what they were saying up there if the weather holds and the water temp goes down. Talk to Steve he will not steer you wrong. Good Luck and I wish I could go with you but I have to take the Misses up to look at the leaves. Will stop at Everts on my way through and see how things are going so I can plan next trip in Nov. Jim

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

Ia James is right on with the sonars. I ran across Ia and Walleye Tracker at the dam Sat and Sun. Sonars did take the larger fish and more eyes than jig combinations in most boats that we saw. Its a long day if you choose to sonar all day with two poles. One fella in another boat put on a good clinic bouncing sonars with two poles. See ya up there again soon I hope.

james
    Ankeny Iowa

D Man – I have to take the Misses up in that area to look at the leaves and plan on stopping at Everets and check out the bite this Sat. the 23 rd. It is a shame to go all that way and not be able to fish. The best part is that the other day Steve Zamzow (zamer) called and said he had an open seat on his trip the 28th to the 31st so I jumped on it. I guess I will be back up then. I’m looking forward to fishing with him. Hope the bite is going stronger by then.I enjoy fishing with others as you can always learn from one another. Hope to see you up there. Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.