One more reason to launch at Everts

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

One more benefit to launching at Everts.

Well, besides the current bite info and your rig being watched over, there’s the river conditions that are always changing.

Reports are there’s a few lower units and hulls damaged by a sunken Red Nun navigational marker between Everts and Red Wing.

If you watch the river closely, you’ll see the disturbance on the top of the water.

As we approach the rivers crest on April 17th there is a very good chance of other debris floating down stream.

It’s ok to wear your PFD. No one will call you a Nancy, unless your name is Nancy.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

RE:
    Reports are there’s a few lower units and hulls damaged by a sunken Red Nun navigational marker between Everts and Red Wing.

Is this stationary?
    Is there a recent GPS location?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yes it’s stationary.

I’m guessing that’s why it’s just under the water.

No gps numbers at this time.

According to one of my insured’s who had a run in with it yesterday, Its one of the red cans just south of White Cross. There’s also a green can south of the Red Wing Bridge that’s almost under water as well.

tweak

Been there, done that. I hit a green one a few years back just after the bridge heading toward Pepin. A horrible feeling and sight when you trim up to see what happened and there is no lower unit attached.

To make matters worse, the corp put the buoy back where it belonged, later that same day. Dooh!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

We hear about these yearly. I know the anchors are heavy enough to hold the can under but debris can often relocate them too when they get snagged.

Has anyone considered adding an extension rope or chain with a smaller bouy say an old 20# propane tank before the water rises?
    Maybe the corps would remove such a device, or maybe they get snagged more?
    Just thoughts. Insight BK?

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

There is a red one sunk and out of place down by the can line as well.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s the Coast Guard that handles the Aids to Navigation.

If you happen to run across one (sorry for that) that’s out of place, try to have the gps numbers or at least a river mile marker number and call

314-269-2610.

If they can’t get to it right away at least it will show up on the Local Notice to Mariners email that’s sent out once per week.

The Coast Guards Wyaconda places, replaces and relocates navigational markers when she gets up here. I’m not sure where she is at this time.

As far as trying to mark a submerged aid, ummm I don’t think so. They are free wheeling in the current and I would rather stay far far away from them!

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

There is a red one sunk and out of place down by the can line as well.

Like “right-in-the-middle-of-the-cans out of place.” Almost got me on maiden maiden vogage last week. Eerily close to distaster…it was under a ways yesterday…glad Pepin was open to finish putting break in hours on…like others, I noticed several cans just under / or poking above water…stay safe….pfd’s a good idea, as always this time of year!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

We hear about these yearly. I know the anchors are heavy enough to hold the can under but debris can often relocate them too when they get snagged.

Has anyone considered adding an extension rope or chain with a smaller bouy say an old 20# propane tank before the water rises?
    Maybe the corps would remove such a device, or maybe they get snagged more?
    Just thoughts. Insight BK?

There was someone a year or two ago that was going to go around pool 4 and mark all the hazards with their own markers. Not sure what happened to that.

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

The Coast Guards Wyaconda came though la Crosse on Wednesday (4/16/14)around 5:00 PM

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

As far as trying to mark a submerged aid, ummm I don’t think so. They are free wheeling in the current and I would rather stay far far away from them!

Prior to water rising was the idea not while it it submerged. While submerged is just plain not safe/sane…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Quote:

Prior to water rising was the idea not while it it submerged. While submerged is just plain not safe/sane…

Gotcha. I was wondering!

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

Believe you may get into trouble modifying a Coast Guard marker. It is illegal to even tie your boat to a marker.

Most of the time the chains are long enough for high water. Many times the cans go under because there is a log caught on the chain and the current will drag the can under.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The red can in the can line is just upstream from the day marker and is right in the middle. Last Friday it was just barely under, so it is probably a couple feet down now.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

The red can in the can line is just upstream from the day marker and is right in the middle. Last Friday it was just barely under, so it is probably a couple feet down now.

I hope they get to that one before it takes someone out…I’ve got it marked on my GPS…if I didn’t, I’d take it slow by the day marker for a while. Loosing a lower unit would be the least of my worries…that pointed buoy would puncture most boats at on plane speed I believe.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.