BfishN Moxi AuthentX

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Wondering if there is a size preference 3″ or 4″ in the moxi jig for fishing below the dams on the Mississippi river pool 4&5 redwing & Alma in the spring? Any favorite colors?

alphabass

I have more luck with the bigger size.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

I have good luck with white and purple chartreuse up on pool 2.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

We’ve caught a ton of fish on both the 3″ & the 4″ moxi’s.
    When the bite slows down, that’s when we switch to the smaller size.

Some of our best colors:
    Chart Pepper
    Oyster Shell
    Purple Chart Tail
    Pro Blue
    Chart Orange Core
    White

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

I think both sizes work equally well. Depending on how aggressive the fish are.
    Colors
    Char./Pepper
    Purple/Char.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Like others recommended I like:
    Purples, Chart, Pro Blue, Firecrackers
    Now for the size I would go with some of both. You never know what they want.

Good Luck

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ive always stuck with the larger size. Fish hit them so havent changed yet.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Change colors often as the amount of sunlight and water clarity will determine which colors they see best during those conditions…Dirty water bright colors, clearer water natural colors.

I fish smaller sizes more in spring…larger sizes summer thru fall, when I come in November I break out the big K Grubs

BBKK
    IA

Match the forage size! This time of year they are eating the stunned or half-dead shad rolling along the bottom. Bigger size will do great!

Later in the summer when the shad have spawned and the fish are chasing shiners or silver dollar shad the 3″ moxi rocks! But if they are feeding on perch or bigger shad, forget the moxi and go for a 4-5″ grub!

The other time to switch to the 3″ is when the fish are short hitting the bigger ones.

My PB (personal best) walleye came on a white 3″ moxi, and last fall I caught several 10″ saugers on the 4″. So the old saying big bait big fish doesn’t ALWAYS work.

So get both sizes in an array of colors and you will be set! Best colors for me have been white and chart/white core.

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

I assume then the Shad spawn the same time as the walleyes? And do the the Shad once they spawn out die?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Shad tend to spawn a little later.

Early May if I remember correctly.

Do they die after spawning?

No. I don’t believe they do.

BBKK
    IA

They spawn about the same time as crappies, in May.

Some die, most do not. But when the shad are spawning they are up in the shallows getting hammered by bass and catfish. When this happens is been my experience that the walleyes start feeding on shiners and small perch/bluegills as their main food source. By then its post spawn. A lot of people call it the post spawn blues, I call it time to break out the 3″ gulp minnows and 3″ moxis and hammer some eyes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.