Pepin Report Friday, Saturday and Sunday

• OldCoot
    Cedar Rapids, IA

A buddy and I fished Lake Pepin on Friday the 28th. We started our day on the water about 10:30 am at Huk-si-la pulling lead core and SR5’s in orange craw. This bite was very strong until about 2:30 and things slowed for us so we went over to the rip rap shore line below Maiden Rock. We longlined in that area, again witn SR5’s in craw and firetiger. We found the bite to be good there also. We caught fish until dark and called it a day. At Huk-Si-La there were mostly sauger, while Maiden Rock gave up more walleye. We ended the day catching over 40 fish, but nothing over 20 inches. Saturday and Sunday found us on the river and back water areas. My buddy has a bad back and there was no way for him to take the punding on the lake those days. We had a tough bite above the lake. We hit a bunch of spots. We finally ended up catching some fish in the 4th cut area and the area around goose lake. We tried pulling cranks to start with and ended up using crawlers on a jig or 3-way. For us the Lake bite was much better than the backwater bite. I read about how good the backwater bite can be during high water, but have little luck with this bite. I’m not sure I am fishing the right spots. Although, I recognized Dustin and he was fishing in a couple of spots Sunday that I also fished earlier in the day, so I must not be too far off. Anyone else find the bite tough Sunday? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have one other question. A couple years ago we fished walleyes in the willow trees that line the banks in some of the areas down in the lake and did very well with weezle jigs tipped with a crawler. Now that the water is pretty high, has anyone been doing this yet or will this bite get going soon?

mendr01
    Maple Grove

We fished on Mon heading out@1:30pm, We hit MaidenRock area and did ok..We trolled boards w/lead core=#5ssr craw in 8-18 feet just off that blue/purple colored house on the hill. Picked up 2 eyes 20,22 w/15 other small eyes and saugers. The weather made it fun rain,wind,&hail my kind of day. We stayed till 7pm. good luck..

labsrule
    Elko

Nothing about pepin here, sorry. If you are fishing the pooh bear this weekend please go to the tournament forum and read the post about the rule clarification. thanks and sorry for bothering the non-tournament guys in this thread.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.