Lights Out Fun

• fredbart
    St. Paul

I spent Friday with a buddy fishing the Pool 4 sauger bite. After launching at Everts we headed up to the dams. Fishing was very slow, we tried blades, minnows, plastics. Nothing happening so we headed down and began fishing below the Y. Switched over to a paddle tail, 3/8 ounce lime jig on a blue paddle tail with a chartreuse tail and man it was lights out good. Fishing between 23 ft and 28ft of water we didnt go five minutes without a fish or hit. Staying vertical with a slight lift and fall, nothing fast but just enough to make the tail move was the key. The fish would usually just mouth the bait and any slight pressure, anything just a little different in feel set the hook! By the end of the day I am sure we easily managed over 50 fish. Most of these were sauger in the one to two pound range with an occasional walleye mixed in. The bite was all day steady and the fish are in really good shape. Fat and sassy.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Sounds like a great time..

jasono00
    cities

sounds like a good time. this time of the year back trolling with a three way rig with 1/2 ounce drop weight and a plain hook and a minnow has been working great for me in the tough bite.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There were three guys in an anchored boat just downstream of the scour hole today jasono00, fishing just that way but anchored.

The sure sounded like they were haveing a good time and the sturgeon they caught brightened up day even more!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for the report Bart! It was a hoot out there today!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.