Pool 14 Tournament

• big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

So, what were the results of the walleye tournament on Pool 14 sunday? There was a boat on every wingdam as far as the eye could see. Lots of guys running around hunting fish.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

So, what were the results of the walleye tournament on Pool 14 sunday? There was a boat on every wingdam as far as the eye could see. Lots of guys running around hunting fish.

Didnt know there was one, who put it on?

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

I believe it was the IL Walleye Trail 2012 State Championship. JigFan took 4th (CONGRATS ). 22 boats if I recall correctly.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Congrats jigfan!

BBKK
    IA

Was this a weigh in or a boat release tournament? I dont want to point fingers but today I found 6 dead walleye 17-22″ on pool 15 stuck in a back eddy. They were limber but clouded eyes and skin starting to fade. Obviously died yesterday or last night. When I saw them I was wondering if they were from the tournament.

cupspits

I highly doubt there from tournament those guys run a good tourney and are very professional at the weigh in. Also that is a full pool lower and most likely wouldn’t end up in same place so I say no way there from the tournament

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I highly doubt there from tournament those guys run a good tourney and are very professional at the weigh in. Also that is a full pool lower and most likely wouldn’t end up in same place so I say no way there from the tournament

Pool 14 isnt that big. They were maybe 20 miles from the launch. With the current flow, that would be less than 3 hours travel time. They were directly below the 14 dam caught on a side eddy along the main channel that was picking up all the junk coming down the river. Was full of foam, weeds, sticks, logs, and dead walleye. What doesnt make sense is that they were all keepers (except for the one too big). Most times when I see dead fish they are little ones that swallow the hook and guys cant keep them. Rarely do you ever see 5 keepers floating together. Water shouldnt be warm enough for a fish kill, right? Maybe they took a crank too deep or got a gill with a treble.

I’m not saying they had to be from the tourney, but its vary rare that I ever see more than 1 floating dead and I found 6 that were not more than 24 hrs old a day after a 22 boat tourney 20 miles upriver. Just seems odd

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

Max Actis and Mike Stuckert won with 12 fish weighing 20.79lbs.Congrat’s guys. We ended up in 4th with 16.04. In response to the dead fish comment. All of the 128 fish were released alive. If any did die post release , with as low as the flow is I do not think they would have made it that far down in that short of time. I do know they have been catching lots of eyes in hoop nets in front of the power plant in that pool , that might be the culprit .

john mannerino
    Chicago IL

I know for a fact that Adam really cares a bunch about taking care of fish and releases. I also doubt they came from the tourney. Congrats Mica!!! sounded like a tough one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From what you’ve described those fish COULD have come from any old angler that didn’t want to clean them just as much as from the tourney…and might be more likely.

/rant

Congrats Jig Fan!

3way
    eastern iowa.

way to go mica………my money is on hoop nets/or any other kind of entrapment killing walleyes during these extreme warm water conditions. there very possibly caught in those nets for 8+hrs. not a very favorable condition for any game fish. everyone knows they how vunerable they are to hoop nets.

korn

It would be nice if all Walleye Tournments would go to the CRR format, like the AIM Tournments.Then you could use those slot fish.No stress on the fish or any mortality rates.CRR means Catch, Record, Release.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Need to keep mentioning to the folks running the tournaments that you want to see this. This will be our 2nd year running a CPR format up here on pool 2. Jessie runs a weekly summer CPR format on the St Croix to that looks to be doing well.

You could also just put one together yourself.

ajw1975

Quote:

Pool 14 isnt that big. They were maybe 20 miles from the launch. With the current flow, that would be less than 3 hours travel time

Well i dont post on here much but the current flow cant be more than 1-2mph and where the fish were released there is severaal eddies the fish wouldve been pushed to shore just my 2cents

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

No way fish got from an Albany weigh in to pool 15 in one day! Barely any current out there, and the odds of them making it to the same place that far down stream are minute.
    Congrats Mica on a good showing in very tough conditions!

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

No doubt about it, hoopnet or trammel net. When river conditions like this occur, it’s inevitable. As far as CPR tournaments, we ran a charity one for a couple years and couldn’t get any boats. Part of that was timing, but everyone loves a weigh-in. IL/IA waters are prime for such a tournament with the protected 20-27″ slot. You don’t even need a tournament permit to hold a CPR tournament in IL (and I would assume IA is the same).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.