Upper Mississippi and P2

• JasonP
    Twin Cities

Back down we go at almost a half foot per day. Was out 3 times over the wknd. Fished above Coon Rapids Dam on the opener in the evening and got a couple nice eating fish. River is quite high up there as well but the clarity is much better and fish were willing to eat jig/crawler or jig/leech combos.

Tried P2 on Sunday morning and while it looks a little better than last week the clarity is still very poor and is the only thing I can tell that’s making the bite so tough for me right now. Everything else looks good. I did manage one sauger and one eye but left after a couple hours a little disappointed. Back up to the upper for another shot Sunday evening…found a couple more willing to eat jigs w/crawlers in the eddies behind points.

I like to get up to the upper stretches a couple times/year and fish smallies but some stretches hold decent number of eyes and its nice to keep a few fish once in a while.

Hope the clarity on 2 gets better and this stable weather brings better fishing for others this week down there.

JP

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

I was skunked twice this past weekend. Once on 2 and once on 3. Not good at all… I only fished a couple hours Saturday morning. Sunday was tough because my wife was with, and all she wants to do is troll. Otherwise, there several slower presentations that I would have tried on Sunday.

I was a little surprised that the water clarity wasn’t increasing more quickly. Hopefully, it will come around sometime in the middle of the week. I’ll be heading out numerous times this week to figure out at what clarity the bite starts picking up again.

-Drew

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The leaves and other debris were half as bad Sunday as it was Friday. Still a pain though.

gary_r
    MN

I was out today and the river is down some with much less debris coming down. But the water clarity is still very bad. Still not much of a bite going on, I got skunked. But the good news is after replacing the CDI unit on my 30 hp Johnson it ran like a top.

fishdale

Pool 2 water/flow was down a lot yesterday compared to the weekend. Fishing seems to be improving also. 9 eyes and a Sauger (16 – 22 inches). Crawlers/Gulp on jigs took all the fish. Had a 7 species day.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.