SaugEyes and 15″

• BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Just got done talking with our CO. He said he didn’t know for sure what year they changed the rule but saugeye are no longer classified with a walleye on the Iowa side of the river. And there is no size limit but bag limits do apply. And he also told me he was not the co who wrote a ticket for a short saugeye and never heard of one being written.

Its been that way since they started the slot. Black spots on the dorsal = livewell

I got a 20″ saugeye last year, guy at the ramp saw it and said it looks too big. I said its a saugeye and he said “its not brown, its a walleye… you better hope the dnr doesnt come” I said ok, closed the livewell and went home to enjoy my diner.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If in doubt check for scales on the gill plates, saugeyes have them, walleyes don’t, no mistaking that clue.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

My own personal thought, If I have to keep a fish under 15″ I’m desparate !!!! “Let Em’ Go & watch Em’ grow !!!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I agree, but the concern presented was around the consumption recommendations for P4.
    Any idea what they ACTUALLY are??
    I personally don’t even know what the levels are, except that my BIL, who is ex DNR said one meal a week was real.
    Now, I’m 63, BUT, i would like a shot at pitching when i’m 85 too…hehehehe

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Stuwest, I would say if you have one meal a week of walleye or pan fish, it would be o.k. however I wouldn’t make a habit of having catfish too much..just my thoughts.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

however I wouldn’t make a habit of having catfish too much..just my thoughts.

Yes, gingerly put the catfish back into the river. It’s the mercury that’s going to give us the next state record cat!

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Quote:

Quote:

however I wouldn’t make a habit of having catfish too much..just my thoughts.

Yes, gingerly put the catfish back into the river. It’s the mercury that’s going to give us the next state record cat!

Right On BK!! that Mrecury can add some serious weight …

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.