SaugEyes and 15″

• stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Which side of the line are SaugEyes being enforced on, i.e. do they have to be 15″???

Does it matter which side of the river you are on??

Curious minds want to know…

redneck
    Rosemount

The way it was explained to me is that the 15 inch rule applies to walleye and nothing else. If it has spots on the dorsal fin then I am comfortable keeping it under 15 inches if I so desire.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

The WI DNR responded with a like opinion: spots on dorsal as the sole determiner…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Page 6 2011 MN Reg Synopsis…

Walleye/sauger (saugeye) hybrid fillets are counted as part of a walleye possession limit during
    transportation.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m going to say a CO would really want to have to write a ticket for a 14 in saugeye in your live well.

Many less avid fishermen don’t know the difference between a sauger and a walleye much less a saugeye.

But then I’m not a CO either.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

well, it would seem that he’d have to have a GPS reading to get a conviction.
    Guess we have to put this on our list of P4 conundrums…

Let’s see, if you catch it on the Wi side, it’s legal until you drift across the line…

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Given the rate of occuerence on the river, I think we need to see some “arrangement” between MN and WI CO’s to clarify this and to remove any of this “individual call” per CO’s. Of course I think they should have uniform rules all the way across on border water so everyone , including the co’s from both states, have a constant to go by.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

a saugeye is considered a walleye every place i have fished, including p4, so, yes, they have to be 15 inches to be legal.

spots on the dorsal are the biggest determining factor in telling them apart. saugers have spots; saugeyes and walleyes dont.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

IW- my Pierce Co CO says no, they do NOT have to be 15″ i.e. “only a WALLEYE is a WALLEYE, if it’s got a spotted dorsal, it’s legal to keep…”

(not that I keep sub 15″ fish, but i had a fishing partner the other day that did want to keep them),

PS- nice pix

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

15″ in WI too as long as i’ve been fishing the river

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I like pictures Illi!

Quote:

Of course I think they should have uniform rules all the way across on border water so everyone , including the co’s from both states, have a constant to go by.

Tom, there is some talk about this inside the MN DNR at least. I believe there’s a directive out there to “simplify” the border water rules.

Hopefully we’ll see it in our life time.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nice pics IW… FWIW, those colors vary a LOT… The Spots on the dorsal are the best ID for most anglers. The white belly combined with spotted dorsal and fewer than 16 dorsal rays tell me its a Saugeye. The white tip tail is not a 100% determiner of a Saugeye, but has been on many I have caught.

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Not a fan of how the DNR handles things

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

From looking at the pictures, it would seem that saugeyes ARE walleyes by the law, i.e. their dorsals do NOT have spots…

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

Quote:

IW- my Pierce Co CO says no, they do NOT have to be 15″ i.e. “only a WALLEYE is a WALLEYE, if it’s got a spotted dorsal, it’s legal to keep…”

(not that I keep sub 15″ fish, but i had a fishing partner the other day that did want to keep them)

sounds to me like the co is contradicting himself.
    first he says you can keep a saugeye under 15, then says it has to have spots on the dorsal to be legal under 15, meaning only saugers are legal under 15???

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I have a GREAT idea then…if in doubt and it is 13″ throw it back…..if you need fish at days end go to the community hole and jig up some saugers to satisfy the limit needs.

redneck
    Rosemount

I think there are alot of different variations of saugeye out there. I have caught fish with spots on the doral fin that had a very distinct white tip on their tails. I assumed them to be saugeye but not sure I guess. I know I have seen fish that looked very much like walleye that had the spotted dorsal fins. I go strictly off the dorsal fin and I have been checked many times and never had a problem with either states game wardens on Pool 4 and I know I have had fish under 15 inches at times. When the boy and I are camping and prefishing a tourney we always keep a meal of under 15 inch sauger for our fish fry. It is definitely a gray area but one I no longer worry about because it has never been an issue.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Redneck- I went by your specs with the new partner, i.e. no spots, back in. It’s pretty clear in the boat, even under LEDs…
    As I posted above, saugeyes are walleyes under the law in both states, it would seem…

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Ive fished the river my whole life and not 1 warden wi or mn had a problem with a saugeye being 14″ Thats over 40 years worth of of fishin the miss between mn and wi

fireline
    Rochester

What is a Saugeye ?

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Illinois and Iowa waters on the Mighty Miss, just like saugers there is no minimum size limit on Saugeyes and they are not protected by the slot either.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Quote:

Page 6 2011 MN Reg Synopsis…

Walleye/sauger (saugeye) hybrid fillets are counted as part of a walleye possession limit during
    transportation.

I could be wrong, but im guessing this rule cant be used to enforce size, since its “fillets”, just used to determine possession limit.. And it probably pertains to LOW more than pool 4 since they have different limits for walleye vs sauger

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

ok, i did some research and i found that tony is correct and i have been misinformed.

dnr personnel confirmed the length requirements – at least on the big river between illinois and iowa – apply only to walleye.

guess you cant believe everything you hear from fishermen and what you read on the internet

but i’m not going to start keeping under 15 and over 20 inch saugeyes.

herb
    6ft under

Last time I read the rules, saugeye are treated the same as a walleye as far as size and bag limits on the Iowa side of the river.

Might have to read it again.

Just went through the 2012 Ia fishing regs and there isn’t even a mention or picture of a saugeye.

Just because it isn’t in the book doesn’t make short saugeyes legal.

I heard of a guy getting checked and a ticket for a short saugeye by our warden a couple weeks ago. But hell, it’s Iowa for kris-sake.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thier a heck of a fish to catch too. They feed like a sauger and get as big as a walleye. They stocked them years ago below the Coralville reservior and it was good fishing for around 5 years. I got one around 8 lbs and a few between 5lb and 7lb, I think they should consider stocking them more then they do.

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Quote:

I have a GREAT idea then…if in doubt and it is 13″ throw it back…..if you need fish at days end go to the community hole and jig up some saugers to satisfy the limit needs.

herb
    6ft under

Just got done talking with our CO. He said he didn’t know for sure what year they changed the rule but saugeye are no longer classified with a walleye on the Iowa side of the river. And there is no size limit but bag limits do apply. And he also told me he was not the co who wrote a ticket for a short saugeye and never heard of one being written.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I keep it simple. For all 3 I don’t keep anything under 15″.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

Just got done talking with our CO. He said he didn’t know for sure what year they changed the rule but saugeye are no longer classified with a walleye on the Iowa side of the river. And there is no size limit but bag limits do apply. And he also told me he was not the co who wrote a ticket for a short saugeye and never heard of one being written.

Hey Herb, did you get that in writting and then notarized?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.