Vortex Scope Options

• waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

For those of you who have experience with Vortex scopes, I’m looking to put new glass on my .270 this year (Tikka T3). I currently have a Bushnell Elite circa 2007, but she has seen better days and it’s time to move on. I’m torn between three options. The Diamondback 3-9×40, the Diamondback Tactical 3-9×40 (VMR-1 Reticle), or the Viper 4-12×40. I really don’t want to go up to a 50mm objective size, so that’s why I’ve stuck with the 40mm. I was pretty much set on the Diamondback HP, but they have since discontinued those models. Fortunately, I can access their industry pricing through work, so the price gap shrinks a bit between these three options. Primary uses are currently northwoods whitetails, but will be venturing out west semi-regularly beginning next year. For those of you with experience with these scopes, do you think the Viper is significantly better than either of the Diamondback models?

Thanks!

tornadochaser

Have you looked into the new Diamondback first focal plane models?

I like the diamondback HP line, wish it wasn’t discontinued. I have a 4-16? on my 6.5 creedmoor ruger. I’d like to find another one for an 18″ AR upper I’m building. Great balance between clear glass, features, and price point for my budget minded accuracy geared guns.

If your Tikka is a shooter, can’t go wrong with a Viper though.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I also have and love my Diamondback HP, which I think uses the same glass as the Viper models.

But since this is no longer an option, and I don’t know much about the tactical, My vote is for the viper. I own one of each and would recommend them both. I think you’ll be happy with any of those you suggested for use in MN.

If planning to go out west, I’d opt for the 4×12 of the ones listed but I’d REALLY consider going to a 4×16 minimum for the west….IMO.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Great recommendations guys. I definitely think I was leaning towards that 4-12 Viper. Given the discount it almost makes too much sense. And yeah, that Tikka is a shooter for sure. I’d really like to add one in either 6.5 Creed or the harder to find 6.5×55.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.