Vension processing shortage

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There was an article recently posted in the star tribune that a lot of smaller local meat lockers are completely booked until spring and may not be accepting deer to process this fall. The reason is because demand soared when some of the big meat processing facilities had temporary closures and/or reduction in production. I will admit I am not great at processing my own deer and I have taken it to the same place now for about 15 years but I could do it in if I had to. The primary issue is cooling. I don’t have a large walk in cooler to hang the deer if I can’t cut it up right away and if its warm out, I worry about spoilage. Has anyone heard this from the local meat locker? They interviewed several in the article and a couple said they aren’t going to accept any deer at all this season simply because they don’t have the manpower/time to do it.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

It all comes back to taking care of ourselves. If your not an expert I’m sure you know someone that has always cut there deer up and could probably teach you some tricks of the trade. If there is a true shortage you can always buy ice and cool the meat down in coolers and when cool put in fridge or freezer. We will figure out a way and get threw what ever they throw at us. Makes you wonder if all the luxury’s are making us not teach the ways of the past?

Angler II

YouTube is your best friend. Fill the chest cavity with ice immediately after washing it out.

Snap

Most people would be able to skin, quarter and de-bone a complete deer in about two hours or less solo. Split the de-bone pieces among 6-10 ish small garbage bags and pack them in a cooler with ice around them. You can keep an entire de-boned deer in a cheap 48 quart cooler for a couple weeks if you swap out the ice occasionally. Kind of a poor mans hanging locker. Process the larger pieces individually into smaller trim, cuts or grind as you have time.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have my garage setup to process so im not super worried. No walk in cooler though so that Cooler idea snap is something I will for sure give a try. The only thing is I will still have to bring in trim to get processed. But that is not big deal.

tornadochaser

2 area lockers here in SD are already advertising they are taking de-boned wild game only.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I would gladly process venison for a small fee, to be paid in venison )

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Haven’t heard that, but if you can’t get it in just quarter it out and debone and you can store it in coolers or the beer fridge until you can cut it up. I get mine done professionally also, but have done it myself a number of times and it’s pretty easy.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I shot it.
    Gut it.
    Skinned it.
    Deboned it.
    Freeze it.
    Buy some great pork. (This year I’ll be butchering my own hog)
    Buy the best casings.
    Buy your favorite seasonings.
    Grind it.
    Mix it. (add in your favorite beer – OLD MILWAUKEE toast )
    Stuffed it.
    Packaged it.
    Freeze it.
    Cooked it.
    Watched them take the first bite. See the smile, and enjoyment of them eating the best brat they’ve ever consumed.

…and I smile the whole way though.

What is not to like!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve processed my own deer since 1976.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Ive processed my own deer since I started hunting. I did it on my own for many years until my bro in law and father in law joined in a couple years ago then last year we had 3 others join in on the fun. All said and done last year we processed over 300lbs of meat and it cost about $40 a person. Cheap, delicious and fun with a group of folks on a saturday. Getting a bigger stuffer this year though, 5lbs at time just doesnt cut it.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Billy and I used to process our November deer together in the garage, often with beers on the table, and a fresh cut of meat on the grill for dinner. My hand would freeze from the cold meat, I usually cut myself at least once, and cleaning the garage fridge after we were done weren’t my favorite parts, but it was totally worth the hard work and hanging out with my best friend. 😌

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I shot it.
    Gut it.
    Skinned it.
    Deboned it.
    Freeze it.
    Buy some great pork. (This year I’ll be butchering my own hog)
    Buy the best casings.
    Buy your favorite seasonings.
    Grind it.
    Mix it. (add in your favorite beer – Blue Moon toast )
    Stuffed it.
    Packaged it.
    Freeze it.
    Cooked it.
    Watched them take the first bite. See the smile, and enjoyment of them eating the best brat they’ve ever consumed.

…and I smile the whole way though.

What is not to like!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep, what he said! x’s 2

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I’ve processed my own deer since 1976.

I was probably just a plan after the deer season then lol

What are the laws on processing game for people? I have always done my own but thought about at least quartering and cutting if it is not too expensive to get setup. I personally love butchering.

My understanding in the past was as long as you do not cook or turn into anything into sausage your do not need a license?

Has anyone looked into what you need to acquire for this?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I don’t cut for anyone anymore. People can be real fickle so I quit trying to do favors.

As I have gotten older my feelings are that if you are going to shoot it, take care of it yourself and really appreciate what’s yours.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I called the place I often take my deer to and they said although they have more business, they are still planning to do venison processing as they normally would this season.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I called the place I often take my deer to and they said although they have more business, they are still planning to do venison processing as they normally would this season.

What locker?

I’d like to drop off a deer that has been sitting in 90 heat the past 3 days. Even though it don’t smell right, it usually tastes alright after the locker combines it with your meat )
    hah

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

^^^^ EXACTLY why you take care of your own meat. Gross, but true. Some people think you can add enough pork, seasonings, and smoke to a dog turd and it turns out ok. Maybe so, but it’s still a seasoned dog turd.

It’s very simple. When you trim your meat just ask yourself would you fry this in a fry pan and eat it right now? If not, why the hell would you save it for sausage/burger?

I use to teach a community ed class on venison processing and one on sausage making/smoking. That was a long time ago. Now I just cut up and process for friends/family. If you aren’t confident doing it yourself AND you and your son/daughter are interested in helping and LEARNING (not just drop it off and pick up packaged) I’d be willing to help out a few sportsmen/women in the Lakeville area this fall. PM me if you wish.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

My understanding in the past was as long as you do not cook or turn into anything into sausage your do not need a license?

I think as soon as you charge for making sausage or jerky or for cooked venison you need a license/permit along with inspection certificates. If you are just cutting/grinding for anyone else I don’t think there is any license or permit required but you need to have the hunting license’s registered possession slip with every deer in your possession. If you’re found with a deer that doesn’t have the proper registered possession slip you’re going to see some serious legal issues.

A big thing is to have a CLEAN work area. When I cut my own deer I have nobody else in the area with me. I have several tables set up and each has a plastic table cloth covering it so meat laid out is on a very clean surface. I have at least two ice cream pails with warm bleach water with a sponge to wipe down table surfaces as they are cleared of meat, then dried with paper towel. I have at least a couple pails of bleach water to put used knives in after being wiped clear of any blood or meat debris. I use clear plastic painters drop cloths to cover meat chunks as they wait their turn for the knife. In short, there is no such thing as being too clean.

And this, while not really the legality of things, KEEP your knives shaving sharp. If you need to force a knife, stop cutting and clean it well then sharpen it. Also on knives: if you’re a clutz, wear a stainless cutting glove and thank me later.

catmando
    wis

Before I got my grinder I had the local butcher grind the trimmings, we were talking one day about why some had strong meat ,He looked at me , and said follow me,we went in a cooler, he grabbed a couple deer said those still have the ass still in them, looked a little more, and pointed to one that one still has its lungs in it. And some wonder why their deer taste bad. I bought my own grinder! DK.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What locker?

Grand Champion Meats in Foley

You can do whatever you want with your venison so long as you don’t start selling it to others. If you start selling it, that opens up a box of worms on liability, taxes, labeling, etc.

riverruns
    Inactive

We do all our own venison. It starts from the skinning process and moves through the finished product. I was fortunate enough to have a great teacher, my father in law. He had all the equipment we needed. When he passed away, I inherited all the processing equipment wave . I was very fortunate.

I have a small core of friends that come over and we process our venison. Everyone’s is kept separate and processed separate. Labels go on everyone’s product as it goes through the flow of processing. Once you have a crew that is familiar with the process it goes well. waytogo

riverruns
    Inactive

I did buy this last Friday on an online auction. We picked it up today. It be an awesome addition to our meat making and fish cleaning. waytogo

It was a 9 hour trip round trip but well worth it. The table is 11′ long and 36″ deep. Sinks measure, 20″ wide, 30″ in length and 14″ deep. 3 sinks. Draining surfaces on both sides of the sink measure 36″ long.

I have to replace drain seals but the sink is like brand new.

Not bad for a $253.20 purchase online auction! woot

Attachments:
    1. 20201012_192001.jpg

2. 20201012_192019.jpg

3. 20201012_192047.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Now that’s a nice rig Shaun. What I’d give for that. lol

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    What locker?

Grand Champion Meats in Foley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gunsmith89 wrote:</div>

You can do whatever you want with your venison so long as you don’t start selling it to others. If you start selling it, that opens up a box of worms on liability, taxes, labeling, etc.

I charge a few old Milwaukee’s, and it’s possible a backstrap might disappear during cutting 😁

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

it’s possible a backstrap might disappear during cutting 😁

Gotta keep a close eye on those back straps! They tend to disappear!

Snap

Lawmakers agreed, and they also extended licensing requirements for the first time to the processors who were working out of their garage, a move the meat lockers supported, Muhl said.

Anytime you hear that we need more regulations to reign in big business remember that big business LOVES regulation because it squeezes out the little guy who’s trying to compete with big business. Every new regulation is a WIN for big business and a LOSE for the little guy.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.