Venison Jerky

• Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

Anyone else working on getting the freezer cleaned out for the upcoming season? I made a nice batch of jerky from some deer and antelope. Ended up with roughly 8lbs. Packaged them into smaller packs for upcoming hunts/fishing.

What’s your favorite cure or recipe for jerky? I’ve found myself using the Hi-Mountain blends. Haven’t tried much else honestly.

Attachments:
    1. 18533751-A0B7-4AA2-9F6C-999D291802AF.png

2. 8CB18411-0F0E-4C0C-8D31-2CDE0AAD5D95.png

3. 12C4A36E-7297-4C46-AC14-A69EFB946BB0.png

Coletrain27

looks tasty! ive used high mountain, lems and nesco seasoning for beef jerky and have liked them all toast

tornadochaser

I never really make the same flavor twice. I just buy mortong quick cure and mix my own seasonings & marinades. The last batch of snow goose jerky I made was marinaded in Jalepeno juice and then seasoned with CJ’s and brown sugar.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I use Walton’s Colorado or Spicy Colorado for my jerky. Had super good results with either. No plans to change.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

never really make the same flavor twice. I just buy mortong quick cure and mix my own seasonings & marinades.

X2 It is also a lot cheaper.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Looking good.

I’ve been on a search for low sodium jerky and sausage seasonings. Tried Walton’s and one other, can’t recall the name. Absolute garbage. LOADED with salt. The Walton’s mix was over 60% pure salt and one serving of the finished product was over 120% of the USDA recommended sodium intake.

Would love to hear if anyone is doing jerky and sausage without adding huge amounts of salt to the mix.

Grouse

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I never really make the same flavor twice. I just buy mortong quick cure and mix my own seasonings & marinades. The last batch of snow goose jerky I made was marinaded in Jalepeno juice and then seasoned with CJ’s and brown sugar.

Morton Tenderqwik and equal parts of dark brown sugar makes a great base. Coarse ground pepper make a nice add-in. Rub in into the sliced meat on both sides and stack the slices in a glass 9X13 baking dish covering with plastic wrap, not foil. Place in fridge over night. Give each slice a quick run under cold running water, then set on the smoker rack. Leaves a real nice shiny finish on the meat when done.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Looking good.

I’ve been on a search for low sodium jerky and sausage seasonings. Tried Walton’s and one other, can’t recall the name. Absolute garbage. LOADED with salt. The Walton’s mix was over 60% pure salt and one serving of the finished product was over 120% of the USDA recommended sodium intake.

Would love to hear if anyone is doing jerky and sausage without adding huge amounts of salt to the mix.

Grouse

Maybe just call and ask about salt content of the products if salt is an issue for you. I know I mentioned Waltons to you a couple years ago but you never made mention of having sodium issues. Sorry.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I use this quite often and people really like it. Maybe 1/2 the cayenne on your first batch to see how you like the heat.

Hot and Sweet Venison Jerky

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.