Uvalde

• Gitchi Gummi

Haven’t seen much of the Uvalde incident mentioned anywhere, seems like they are trying their best to sweep it under the rug. Anyone watch the video? It made me sick to my stomach. Feel terrible for those kids and parents who had to sit for over an hour before the cops did anything. Of all places for something like this to happen, Texas is the last place I’d think to see this.

CaptainMusky

The handling or lack thereof that situation is absolutely infuriating. They wasted valuable time and innocent people were killed while they sat there and did nothing.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There are people in Texas who are going to be sued into the stone age over this.

CaptainMusky

There are people in Texas who are going to be sued into the stone age over this.

Starting with the Police Chief or whoever was in charge.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Starting with the Police Chief or whoever was in charge.

Thats the problem, they can’t find ANYBODY besides the shooter who was in charge.

Ripjiggen

Haven’t seen much of the Uvalde incident mentioned anywhere, seems like they are trying their best to sweep it under the rug. Anyone watch the video? It made me sick to my stomach. Feel terrible for those kids and parents who had to sit for over an hour before the cops did anything. Of all places for something like this to happen, Texas is the last place I’d think to see this.

It’s been on every news outlet I look at.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anyone watch the video? It made me sick to my stomach.

I couldn’t watch the whole thing, it was too infuriating. And I agree I still can’t believe this happened in Texas of all places. There needs to be a long list of police leadership held accountable.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Keep in mind here, that had police rushed in their guns blazing and additional people had been killed by either police gun fire or by the shooter himself people and parents would be questioning that as well. I’m not saying I agree with the way the police handled this situation, I’m just saying had they responded differently and additional people injured or killed they would be questioned about that as well. The thing that surprised and angers me the most is why that school was not locked down sooner than it was. It seems like the school had enough notice to get those doors locked prior to the shooter getting to the door. Once again this is a case where I believe a teacher that is trained and willing to carry a firearm may have been able to make a difference. If there was ever a state that would allow teachers to carry a firearm I would think that Texas would be near the top of the list. This like most all mass shooting is just a SAD situation. I truly believe its not a gun problem but a mental heath problem. Guns have been available for things like this to happen for a Long time. But the issue is a fairly recent problem. I also think all the media coverage does not help. Seeing this play out over and over on TV and online just gives other mentally ill people a idea of how they can be noticed.

CaptainMusky

I truly believe its not a gun problem but a mental heath problem.

This. Last week there was a 20 year old in the cities having a “mental health crisis” who was hold up in his apartment shooting through walls into neighboring apartments. The standoff ended as expected and wouldnt you know it they organized a GoFundMe in his “honor” and at one point it had more donations that the single mother who she and her children were terrorized by him shooting into her apartment. Its an absolutely messed up world we live in now. You may have seen the video of her when she was addressing the protestors at the apartment and they were yelling back at her “but you are still alive”. Well, tell that to her children who will have nightmares and suffer ill effects probably their whole lives now.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Haven’t seen much of the Uvalde incident mentioned anywhere, seems like they are trying their best to sweep it under the rug. Of all places for something like this to happen, Texas is the last place I’d think to see this.

Who’s the “they” who are trying to cover it up? Every news outlet on Earth covered it for weeks and it still makes the news when there are developments.

Not sure why anyone would think there is any state or geography that is safe(er) when it comes to domestic terrorism. No matter how gunned up or gung ho a state has a reputation for being, that doesn’t mean anything to the perps who are planning these killings. Biggest lesson here IMO is that NOBODY is safe until hard changes are made.

And Texas’s tough guy “reputation” sure didn’t translate into an effective response in this case. Big hat, no cattle is the phrase that comes to mind.

IMO one of the things that has to be looked at is national standards for stress testing law enforcement commanders. You can have all the training in the world, but as Uvalde demonstrated, if the commander breaks under stress and starts clucking like a chicken, all the training does nothing to help.

munchy
    NULL

Keep in mind her that had police rushed in their guns blazing and additional people had been killed by either police gun fire or by the shooter himself people and parents would be questioning that as well. I’m not saying I agree with the way the police handled this situation, I’m just saying had they responded differently and additional people injured or killed they would be questioned about that as well. The thing that surprised and angers me the most is why that school was not locked down sooner than it was. It seems like the school had enough notice to get those doors locked prior to the shooter getting to the door. Once again this is a case where I believe a teacher that is trained and willing to carry a firearm may have been able to make a difference. If there was ever a state that would allow teachers to carry a firearm I would think that Texas would be near the top of the list. This like most all mass shooting is just a SAD situation. I truly believe its not a gun problem but a mental heath problem. Guns have been available for things like this to happen for a Long time. But the issue is a fairly recent problem. I also think all the media coverage does not help. Seeing this play out over and over on TV and online just gives other mentally ill people a idea of how they can be noticed.

Exactly! Monday morning quarterbacking is so easy, if everybody questioning their decisions thinks being a cop is so easy go sign up.

A few things you may not know about the police response.
    -their radios did not work in the building, using the phone and texting were their only options

-they thought they had a barricaded subject, not an active shooter, everyone was briefed on barricaded subject, and there was really no shooting for the final hour or so. Their training on barricaded subject was to hold up until a plan can be formulated and executed.

-they did not know if there were or were not kids in the room

-hand sanitizer guy was not holding a weapon, obviously medical or some other official that was providing another form of support, so who cares what he was doing while standing there. Also since 2020, using a hand sanitizing station has been ingrained into most people and they literally do it out of habit without thining whenever they see one.

Take your frustrations out on the nut job who did this, not the police who were doing a job 99.9% of Americans (and quickly becoming less and less)could never do.

TH

In 1981, the Supreme Court ruled that police have no duty to protect individuals, even though it says, “to protect and serve” on the cars. Maybe their cars don’t say it anymore after this ruling. This will get all jumbled up in court and only the attorneys will win. This is just as heart breaking to me too. Munchy brings up excellent points. None of us will really know what happened since we weren’t there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Reef W

heir radios did not work in the building, using the phone and texting were their only options

So what? There were police in the hallway 3 minutes after shooter entered classroom. They knew what they were supposed to do. Check the attached doc from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement and section 2.2 is pretty clear:

“First responders to the active shooter scene will usually be required to place themselves in harm’s way and display uncommon acts of courage to save the innocent. First responders must understand and accept the role of “Protector” and be prepared to meet violence with controlled aggression”

“Immediate, decisive action by school-based officers can have a dramatic impact on reducing casualties. Active shooter training for law enforcement is designed to improve the response capabilities of the police.”

“The first responder using effective tactics coupled with situational awareness can isolate, distract, and neutralize the actor(s), while mitigating the loss of innocent life.”

“In the event of an active school attack, school-based law enforcement officers should do the best they can to fill the gap until other first responders can arrive. That will probably mean adopting a solo response to the threat.”

they thought they had a barricaded subject, not an active shooter,

BS, there is video of them sitting in the hallways with shots being fired.

they did not know if there were or were not kids in the room

Well, it’s a school so probably err on the side of there being kids in the room.

hand sanitizer guy was not holding a weapon,

eh, I’ll give him a pass for good hygiene. I’d prefer to point out the guy with a punisher logo as his phone background doing jack poop since it’s a great illustration of how they view themselves and what they really are.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Keep in mind here, that had police rushed in their guns blazing and additional people had been killed by either police gun fire or by the shooter himself people and parents would be questioning that as well.

BS. If we are to the point that we shouldn’t expect police officers, particularly ones in riot gear with AR’s, to go in and try and stop a school shooting, we should just disband the police altogether and revert to the Wild West. What is the point of having police if they sit on their hands while little kids are being shot? I support the police and have many officers in my friends and family, and they are just as appalled by the lack of action in Uvalde as most. There is no excusing the police’s inaction there. None. And I don’t think anyone in their right mind is persecuting police who try and stop a school shooter. The coward cops that refused to go in are, rightfully imo, the ones being persecuted in public opinion, and hopefully fired and/or prosecuted.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    Keep in mind here, that had police rushed in their guns blazing and additional people had been killed by either police gun fire or by the shooter himself people and parents would be questioning that as well.

BS. If we are to the point that we shouldn’t expect police officers, particularly ones in riot gear with AR’s, to go in and try and stop a school shooting, we should just disband the police altogether and revert to the Wild West. What is the point of having police if they sit on their hands while little kids are being shot? I support the police and have many officers in my friends and family, and they are just as appalled by the lack of action in Uvalde as most. There is no excusing the police’s inaction there. None. And I don’t think anyone in their right mind is persecuting police who try and stop a school shooter. The coward cops that refused to go in are, rightfully imo, the ones being persecuted in public opinion, and hopefully fired and/or prosecuted.

Could not agree more! Well said Werm.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

Like I said. I don’t agree with how they handled the situation. All I was saying if they would have went in right away with guns blazing and people were injured or killed there would be people ( Including some on here ) who also would have been questioning their actions. I hope your friends and family who are in Law enforcement never have to be in a situation where they have to decide what action to take in a situation like this. You can bet if they do, there will be some questioning what ever action they decide on and make. Hopefully a jury doesn’t find them guilty of some wrong doing that cost them their jobs and possibly jail time. As far as “disband the police altogether and revert to the Wild West” although I’m not a fan of disbanding the policy I feel a little more of the wild wild west would do a lot towards solving the problem. To may soft people these days who count on the policy to protect and keep them safe, when what is needed is more people who protect themselves and other around them !!!

Dan
    Southeast MN

I agree also. I 10000000% back the blue and respect the hell out of what they do. But whether you’re big-city SWAT or small-town rural, you know the worst case of what your job could entail, you know what you signed up for, and there were failures.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

All I was saying if they would have went in right away with guns blazing and people were injured or killed there would be people ( Including some on here ) who also would have been questioning their actions.

Again I’m saying that is BS. I have never seen anyone criticized for trying to stop a school shooting. And people who have attempted and died in their attempt are, rightfully, lauded as heroes. You are trying to conflate other police shooting issues with school shootings or active shooters. Don’t. They are not the same.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I don’t watch the news, and don’t know what happened, but whether the police go in and shoot the guy or whether they sit outside, they’re going to be criticized over it.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I truly believe its not a gun problem but a mental heath problem. Guns have been available for things like this to happen for a Long time.

There is definitely a mental health problem. Whether it’s being talked about more now, or used/claimed more often, or a byproduct of certain environments or medications, I don’t have the answers to. One of the problems here is that some specific politicians will be tough guys about accepting absolutely no measures of gun control/reform and also offer zero support for any form of mental health. One might call it the party of “no.”

Second…other countries have mental health problems, other countries have violent video games or music, or all the other excuses people use for reasons for violence. Yet here in the U.S. innocent people, unfortunately including WAY TOO MANY CHILDREN, are getting shot up at a higher rate than other 1st-world countries.

Even though I used all caps for part of that, I wasn’t yelling at you fishthumper. And I’m all about the right to bear arms. I just think there are things that need to be done so kids stop getting killed, and there are some meaningful things that could have an impact that would not even affect the vast majority of gun-owning Americans.

Aboxy17

Can’t help but think this has some correlation with the bystander effect. Story after story comes out such as the woman getting beat on the New York subway. People stand there and video tape it while a woman is getting beat in broad daylight but do nothing to help or intervene.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think I’ll just let the investigation sort it out before I make judgement. None of us were there and there is a lot of information floating around out there being reported that we don’t know is true or false.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think I’ll just let the investigation sort it out before I make judgement. None of us were there and there is a lot of information floating around out there being reported that we don’t know is true or false.

Try google before hitting send on your posts. 77 page report was released yesterday, and attached below. It found:

-Responders failed to prioritize saving the lives of innocent victims over their own safety.
    -376 responders from various agencies were on scene the day of the massacre
    -Uvalde school police chief failed to assume his “responsibility of incident command”
    -The committee said law enforcement failed to quickly confront the suspect, having retreated to safety after taking gunfire and waited for backup.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/07/us/uvalde-report-full-document/

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Try google before hitting send on your posts. 77 page report was released yesterday, and attached below.

That’s not good enough yet for me. Most notably because it was compliled by politicians and it also has a CNN logo attached to it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Again I’m saying that is BS. I have never seen anyone criticized for trying to stop a school shooting. And people who have attempted and died in their attempt are, rightfully, lauded as heroes. You are trying to conflate other police shooting issues with school shootings or active shooters. Don’t. They are not the same.

Bigworm – Somehow I think you are missing my point. So you are saying if the first police officers to arrive on the scene rushed into that school with a AR and confronted the shooter and in a exchange of Gunfire ended up Killing the shooter, while at the same time having some of his rounds pass through the wall of a locked classroom and ended up hitting and killing several young students. That that officer would not receive any criticism from anyone and would not have to worry about any legal consequences? and would be Lauded as a hero by everyone including the families of the dead students? If you really believe this then I’m saying that is BS.

Yet once again I think were both trying to debate something that we are probably 95% in agreement on. I think we both agree that this situation could of and should of been handled differently. I think we both agree that any and all police officers that arrived on the scene should have entered the school right away and did whatever was necessary to stop the shooter from harming or killing anymore people in that school. If fact the only thing I think we may agree on is the outcome for the police had they done so and anyone other than the shooter ended up injured or dead as a result of those actions.

R Petersen

i If we sat on the floor in front of a T V set for years as a infant everyday ? Watched all the violent CARTOONS played endlessly into the infants brain. It learns how to use violent force as a solution to problems.

We have millions of infants now Of age. That have been BULLIED in schools, daycares, neighborhoods and family bullying. All of it is accepted as normal life.

Well it is PAY BACK time from those mistreated infants and young adults.

School bullying is not a serious problem ?????? Keep lying to yourself.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s not good enough yet for me. Most notably because it was compliled by politicians and it also has a CNN logo attached to it.

Well you will be waiting a while then, it was a congressional investigation (hence signed by politicians) and that was the full report hosted on CNN’s website but you can find the exact same report on your news/logo of choice.

Bigworm – Somehow I think you are missing my point.

No, I understand what you are saying and am calling BS on it. It’s never happened before, and you creating a false narrative hypothetical to be “right” doesn’t change the fact that you are not.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think we both agree that any and all police officers that arrived on the scene should have entered the school right away and did whatever was necessary to stop the shooter from harming or killing anymore people in that school.

That is it, that’s the post. You don’t have to add on anything else or make up some hypothetical scenario that has never happened.

Jimmy Jones

That video speaks volumes. At least of the so-called officers at the scene in that hallway. The video was not compiled by politicians. The video was not altered. What I saw was a bunch of chicken schnit officers FAILING those children. CHILDREN. Stick your kids in there and decide that the officers did the right thing. I call coward. On all of them. Nothing prevented them from quarantining that room since the idiot inside could not see what they were doing, and then plink that a-hole from outside. Listening to those kids screaming and that pricks shots ring out is downright disturbing and if anyone thinks that allowing more time for those kids to live in that hell was necassary needs some serious ass kicking so they can hope someone comes and helps save their feces.
    While that video has forced all of those parents and loved ones to step inside that horror, it also speaks the truth about what those friggin entitleds did. Cowards, every one of them and they all should sit in cells for many years for pandering their duties. The real shitty part of all of this is the stain that those pricks has left on all the good officers out there that take their jobs and their oaths to heart. I have a few law enforcement friends and not one of them said that what took place would have washed with them and that they would have done things entirely different from the get go. They all said if no one is calling the shots then someone has to step up and do what needs to be done. I’m glad all those a-hole cowards live in Texas.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Uvalde’ is closed to new replies.