UTV & Skid House trailer

• Brad Dostal

Curious if anyone has experience with trailering a UTV and skid house? I have a Polaris Ranger and just bought a 6’ x 12’ aluminum skid house and want to trailer them to different lakes. I am thinking maybe a tilt trailer would be best? If anyone has experience with a setup similar to mine let me know what type of trailer you use. Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve been thinking about the same thing. I’m thinking a large tilt bed with a winch. Have brackets welded to the back of the skid house and winch it up backwards. Then the UTV. Time to unload just hook up and drag the skid house off the trailer. Take some measurements. When you tilt the trailer to load the skid house lock the hydraulics so the bed won’t tilt down until the UTV is loaded. The key is making sure the trailer comes down when it’s loaded. Have to watch the balance point the first few times until you figure it out. Then make a mark on the trailer so you know when to stop. Or….if you have a big enough UTV you might be able to lower the bed, lock it and drive right on over the end of the trailer. That would be the best situation.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

What is total length? I would think you want the UTV on front of trailer if you are using an aluminum skid house. You would need the tongue weight for trailer towing.
    I have thought about the same thing but you need a looooong trailer. I was thinking of a 6×10 house with my Honda Pioneer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Unless he can back (push) the skid house off the trailer how would he get it off?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I know that is an issue. I have towed a trailer with not enough tongue weight and believe me it is not fun.

Brad Dostal

I am looking at the H&H Speedloader MX trailer plan would be to drive it on and back it off with it attached to the Ranger. Another member on here posted a picture Dec of 2019 with this exact setup and I have messaged him to see how well it works.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thats why I said he needed to measure everything out. My tilt trailer I had a few years ago had a 7′ deck in front of the 20′ tilt. If he had something along those lines the UTV would be over the tandem axels I think. Alot would depend on if the 12′ measurement included the skids or if it’s just the house.

Coletrain27

Your gonna need at least a 22’ trailer to fit both them. I have a 20’ trailer and can get 2 rangers on it. But with a 12’ shack and ranger your gonna need at least 22’

If you had a ramp utility trailer you could winch the shack on backwards when done and pull the shack off with the ranger when you want to use it. You would need to mount a winch in the front of the trailer

Brad Dostal

Yeah I am thinking 24’ is what I want. I do have a 22’ equipment hauler that I am going to try but I just don’t think that will be ideal.

Coletrain27

Pj makes nice utility trailers but I think there max in that type is 22’

Here is my 20’ that we haul our side by sides with

Attachments:
    1. 4A2D2E28-7CE3-4F48-88EE-5A7BCE6E9BE0.jpeg

?????

I think Beberg outdoors in the Twin cities has a video of them and their setup like you want.

Jason

I have been doing it for a few years. I have an 8.5′ x 24′ aluminum deckover. I drive my Defender and fish house up as one and back it off as one. Easy on easy off. Hardest part is strapping everthing down. My house is 84″ x 150″ which I built to fit my trailer setup. I had an 8.5′ x 22′ PJ deckover tilt prior and that worked as well. You will need a minimum of a 22′ trailer for a 10′ house.
    I would suggest a deckover trailer to give you plenty of width. The equipment style trailers only give you around 80-81″ in-between the fenders which would tight with tracks or a 6′ wide house.
    The setup is tall when loaded and nose heavy with the sxs up front but if you got a big enough truck you wont have any problems. My tounge weight is 1600lbs. On a shorter trailer you might need to un-hitch the tounge and slide the fish house forward some to make it all fit. A cab sxs is twice the weight of the fish house so you are going to want the sxs in the front of the trailer.

Attachments:
    1. 20210114_135519.jpg

Bob D

Here is a video loading a 8 x 14 aluma lite with a UTV.

Jason

Yep, if you look closely at the video you will notice the problem with a V house and a center skid. Even though they had the trailer backed up to a snow bank to lesson the approach angle the center skid makes contact first and got hung up. V fronts are fine but you got to design the skids correctly to make the trailer setup work right.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

OK, so does he just stick the UTV in reverse and back the whole thing off the trailer? After watching that I’m more convinced then ever that 8′ would be the largest I would ever get.

Jason

OK, so does he just stick the UTV in reverse and back the whole thing off the trailer?

Yes I would assume so. Please note that trailer/fishouse setup would never work if he didn’t have a snowbank or a hill to back up to so it can be level. FYI – One guy can pretty easily slide a house around once its on the trailer especially on an aluminum bed.
    Whatever trailer you use having side guides comes in handy while your backing it off since you can’t see around the house very well and the back might shift on you.

Brad Dostal

I think the PJ trailer that Coletrain27 posted would be a good option I just need a 24’ and after talking to my local dealer today they only make a 22’. The dealer would mount a winch on the deck with the PJ winch plate which would be handy to pull the skid house on. If they had a 24’ I think I would try one of them. I did price out a steel tilt and it was about twice the price.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Brad, check with Midsota Trailer. They custom built me a trailer and did a great job. It will be a wee bit more than a PJ but they are a Minnesota company so it was worth it for me.

1-877-356-2407

Brad Dostal

Thanks Dutch. I have heard of them but didn’t know they did customs. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Ed Lashyro
    NULL

Look at H &
    H Speedloader. Electric over hydraulic.I just ordered a 24′

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.