Upper Red – Rescue in Progress

• mojogunter

I figured that would have been last Friday, so a little longer than I thought it would be.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d have to assume the rescue crew has no interest in saving any equipment today….

-J.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They never do. I would not expect them to either. Save lives is what they are supposed to do.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So is that equipment just “public property” then if its left out there?

Asking for a friend.

tswoboda

Looks like the rescue is simply walking across a bridge at JR’s

And since it’s URL they’ll be able to get back out there in like 2 days to get any gear left behind.

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1669667979533.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

the resorts up there should all go in on a couple airboats so they can do their own rescues. seems silly to require local rescue services to go thru this song and dance year after year just so those resorts can make a couple bucks

Ripjiggen

You beat me to it TSW but a little miss leading headline to say the least. They are walking over a bridge. Don’t think the coast guard is sending helicopters by any means. Obviously with open water they are getting people off in that corner so some idiot doesn’t wander in and night and fall in.

Gitchi Gummi

Per Beltrami County Sheriff’s office:

The Beltrami County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by Kelliher Fire and Rescue, Red Lake Nation Fire, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Minnesota State Patrol, Blackduck Ambulance, Lake of the Woods Sheriff’s Office and local resorts. A number of apparatus were deployed including airboats, water rescue boats, ATVs, drones and a temporary bridge.

You’re right. The coast guard wasn’t sending helicopters in but there were certainly a significant number of resources sent to deal with this very avoidable event.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

the resorts up there should all go in on a couple airboats so they can do their own rescues. seems silly to require local rescue services to go thru this song and dance year after year just so those resorts can make a couple bucks

I like that idea! Especially since they don’t wait for it to be fully locked up.

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

I like that idea! Especially since they don’t wait for it to be fully locked up.

X2

Ripjiggen

Per Beltrami County Sheriff’s office:

The Beltrami County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by Kelliher Fire and Rescue, Red Lake Nation Fire, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Minnesota State Patrol, Blackduck Ambulance, Lake of the Woods Sheriff’s Office and local resorts. A number of apparatus were deployed including airboats, water rescue boats, ATVs, drones and a temporary bridge.

You’re right. The coast guard wasn’t sending helicopters in but there were certainly a significant number of resources sent to deal with this very avoidable event.

Yes because people called 911 instead of the resort they went out of. By the time they arrived the resort already had a bridge in place and getting the people off.

People would go out reguardless on 5-7 inches of ice. The resorts do their best to monitor conditions. Which according to the DNR site is safe for a snowmobile. They were not allowing any vehicles out of the private access.

Been out there before n February when a crack opens up. There was 2 ft of ice. It happens on large bodies of water.

Gitchi Gummi

Yes because people called 911 instead of the resort they went out of. By the time they arrived the resort already had a bridge in place and getting the people off.

People would go out reguardless on 5-7 inches of ice. The resorts do their best to monitor conditions. Which according to the DNR site is safe for a snowmobile. They were not allowing any vehicles out of the private access.

Been out there before n February when a crack opens up. There was 2 ft of ice. It happens on large bodies of water.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you definitely down played the amount of resources this little ordeal consumed. How do you know the resorts didn’t call 911 and only the people on the ice did? Regardless of who called 911, this happens almost every year and it seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Also, I’ve never seen a 60ft crack open up in February other than on Great Lakes. Have you?

Ripjiggen

Check out there Facebook. They state a couple anglers called 911. At that point they can’t say awe hell call the resort dummy. They are in Beltrami county what else are they doing.

It really isn’t that big of deal. A crack opened up they put out a bridge. People walked over it with their gear. Everyone got off safe and nobody died.

Not 60 but 3-5 ft is big enough that I can’t drive my truck over it. Been on Winnipeg early March with 4 ft of ice and have seen 20 ft cracks. Didn’t call 911. Used my brain and went around the crack.

Bearcat is probably still out there camping. jester

Evan Bates

Heard through sources the IDO pickup was up there in a resort lot.

Gitchi Gummi

Check out there Facebook. They state a couple anglers called 911. At that point they can’t say awe hell call the resort dummy. They are in Beltrami county what else are they doing.

It really isn’t that big of deal. A crack opened up they put out a bridge. People walked over it with their gear. Everyone got off safe and nobody died.

Not 60 but 3-5 ft is big enough that I can’t drive my truck over it. Been on Winnipeg early March with 4 ft of ice and have seen 20 ft cracks. Didn’t call 911. Used my brain and went around the crack.

Bearcat is probably still out there camping. jester

It’s the nature of the beast when you let thousands of people out on early ice on a huge lake. You really expect not one person, of the thousands that are out there, to not call 911 when they start drifting away? It’s what the resorts sign up for and should expect when they let people out this early on that lake. Sure it doesn’t phase some of you and you’d just “use your brain and go around the crack”, but someone is going to call 911 out of the thousands that are out there. All I’m saying is the local emergency resources shouldn’t have to deal with this crap every year.

Ripjiggen

Drifting away. rotflol

Hopefully it didn’t ruin their game of cribbage they were playing at the firehouse.

Well the local authorities shouldn’t have to deal with all the spin outs tomorrow when it snows either, but they will.

Ripjiggen

Heard through sources the IDO pickup was up there in a resort lot.

Just saw there truck in the background on the news.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Spoiler alert for the location of this Sunday’s episode.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The selfish side of me wishes they would shut that lake down again for 5 or so years……sigh

munchy
    NULL

They talked about this on the radio this morning. Upped the number on the ice to over 200 and blamed it on global warming…

Sensationalism much? coffee

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Bearcat is safe, he was out of West Winds, he sent me a video of him cruzing around on a 4 wheeler, which is crazy in its self. lol

Gitchi Gummi

plenty of ice out there. I just pulled my wheelhouse out to center bar with my 1/2 ton

CaptainMusky

So if the IDO crew was out there should make for an interesting episode coming up.

Ripjiggen

I guess if walking over a bridge is interesting. This is one of the more fabricated “Rescues” I have heard about.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

So if the IDO crew was out there should make for an interesting episode coming up.

Just looking at the photos from the IDO FB page, sure don’t look like they are fishing Red for this week’s show… coffee

-J.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I heard this on the national CBS radio news at 5:00 pm.

From the article posted above:
    Outfitters on Upper Red Lake say shifting winds Monday afternoon quickly made for dangerous conditions.
    Picture is from the weather history from the Waskish Muni weather station. Not much of a wind shift. SE to SSE. Yes that would put more stress on the ice but going out with a southerly wind on early ice when the entire lake is not iced up is stupid. It’s the outfitters/resorts faults. Money grab. Not many non-private accesses on the south shore. Dumb Sh!ts.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2022-11-29-at-11.27.57-AM.png

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.