Opening Weekend Report

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

So how did everone do this opener? Our group hunted private land in Swift County. On the drive to the land, we counted a couple hundred birds in the ditches and fields. We went out at about ten on Saturday. First we hunted corn which only produced a couple of birds. From 11-2 we hunted grass and ended up with 19 birds for 10 guys. Due to poor shooting and planning, we probably let 200 roosters get away. Saturday produced a lot fewer birds. We hunted all new fields and ended up with 10 birds for 7 guys. We only hunted for 3 hours because the heat was wearing on the dogs and the hunters. All of the roosters that we harvested were mature birds with great color and long tail feathers.

There are Wildlife Management Areas adjacent to all the property we hunted, so there are plenty of opportunities for public hunting.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i skipped the duck hunting, in fear of it being as retched as last weekend. i’m glad i did. we hunted around roch and saw tons of birds. many many more then last year. ended up getting 4 before the rain on saturday and 2 more for the little while we hunted sunday. we must have seen 50+ hens in the two days. i think some of them must have been juvie roosters that we couldn’t distinguish yet.

as soon as all that corn gets out, it should be a dynamite year

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i skipped the duck hunting, in fear of it being as retched as last weekend. i’m glad i did. we hunted around roch and saw tons of birds. many many more then last year. ended up getting 4 before the rain on saturday and 2 more for the little while we hunted sunday. we must have seen 50+ hens in the two days. i think some of them must have been juvie roosters that we couldn’t distinguish yet.

as soon as all that corn gets out, it should be a dynamite year

has
    Hudson, WI

We were out in western Mn this weekend, in the Morris area. Due to rain and wind we stoped hunting Saturday from 11-4pm then started back-up and ended getting our 8 roosters for the day. Sunday was worse due to the standing corn and warm weather, only ended up shooting 2. Once the corn is down as well as the opening day hunters look for many good days to come. No lost birds, thanks to one hell of a fine lab. She is the real deal, couldn’t imagine hunting without here, thanks Maddie(my lab).

has
    Hudson, WI

We were out in western Mn this weekend, in the Morris area. Due to rain and wind we stoped hunting Saturday from 11-4pm then started back-up and ended getting our 8 roosters for the day. Sunday was worse due to the standing corn and warm weather, only ended up shooting 2. Once the corn is down as well as the opening day hunters look for many good days to come. No lost birds, thanks to one hell of a fine lab. She is the real deal, couldn’t imagine hunting without here, thanks Maddie(my lab).

chappy
    Hastings, MN

We hunted lamberton/Walnut Grove area. Saw alot of birds. 6 guy’s just on Sunday and got 4 but should have gotten a limit! Was’nt my shooting. Friends dog screwed up on burst of birds with about 5 roosters in it! Damn dog! If she was mine she’d still be yelping cuz of the shocker collar! My Choc. did a hell of a job also! She may not be retired after this year is over after all. She was so close to some of those birds she could see them moving around her and she was’nt sure which one to go after! Absolute blast watching it!!!You go Sammy Girl!!!!!!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

We hunted lamberton/Walnut Grove area. Saw alot of birds. 6 guy’s just on Sunday and got 4 but should have gotten a limit! Was’nt my shooting. Friends dog screwed up on burst of birds with about 5 roosters in it! Damn dog! If she was mine she’d still be yelping cuz of the shocker collar! My Choc. did a hell of a job also! She may not be retired after this year is over after all. She was so close to some of those birds she could see them moving around her and she was’nt sure which one to go after! Absolute blast watching it!!!You go Sammy Girl!!!!!!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

We hunted in Lac Qui Parle county for opener. 5 of us had 17 for the weekend and should have filled. The usual excuses: missed shots, a couple of lost birds, wayward dog, etc. The Gamefinder I bought from Cabela’s could not pick up a downed bird in thigh high grass at 50 degrees F. May trade it in for a FL-18.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

We hunted in Lac Qui Parle county for opener. 5 of us had 17 for the weekend and should have filled. The usual excuses: missed shots, a couple of lost birds, wayward dog, etc. The Gamefinder I bought from Cabela’s could not pick up a downed bird in thigh high grass at 50 degrees F. May trade it in for a FL-18.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I just got a scanner so here are a few pictures of our opening weekend in Minnesota.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I just got a scanner so here are a few pictures of our opening weekend in Minnesota.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.