Unidentified Fish Behavior

• Tim S.

Hi guys,
    I was fishing for pike/musky yesterday in a local resevoir. It was evening and there were several groups of unidentified fish splashing, occasionally jumping, and swimming just under the surface. I could see dark long silhouettes with 5 or so silhouettes in each group.

I live in Northwest Pennsylvania and the water temperature was 51oF. The water depth was anywhere from 10-20 feet. I was fishing a bay off of the main reservoir with a creek running into it. The silhouettes were way to long to be bass or any other panfish species. I doubt they were carp as the silhouettes seemed too long/slender, however it was hard to see them from shore. They were out towards the middle of the bay, 50 or so yards from shore. They did not appear to be feeding but rather slowly swimmingly in groups.

What kind of fish were they? Could they be musky or pike spawning? Do pike or musky behave like this? I could not get them to bite however they were just out of my casting range. I did catch a 20 some inch musky in the area.

LabDaddy1

I know that pike spawn earlier in colder water than muskie, in I want to say mid 40’s to 50° F water. But I don’t think they would be doing it in that deep of water…. could be wrong tho. Could they be gar?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Totally carp behavior.

LabDaddy1

I mean, yeah, it’s total carp behavior. But he says they were long and slender which isn’t a typical carp shape. Only thing I can think of is a common mistake due to perspective. Everything looks skinnier and longer when seen from a distance and low to the water. Refraction. And it does describe common carp behavior this time of year…

Deuces

Have you fellas seen carp/suckers/any bottom feeders swimming subsurface in the middle of bays over deeper water?

I have not personally.

Almost sounds like bigger bait fish getting pushed around by predator fish underneath?

Those reservoirs hold trout don’t they? That warm creek water could be hanging onto the surface of the bay with the bugs and everything else it’s dumping in.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Do you have gar your area? You should of seen their beaks though.

Damn auto correct.

Tim S.

They could of been carp but I really dont think so. I’ve seen lots of carp and these were not the right color or shape, and they were over deepish water.

I’ve not seen gar in person to be able to identify them but these did seem to fit that description however I didnt notice any beak and aren’t they fairly rare?

They definitely were not trout, these were way to long and did not act at all like trout.

I doubt they were any type of baitfish as most were 20-40 inches.

They honestly looked like muskie or pike but I’ve never heard of them doing that on surface like that.

Adam Steffes

I have observed carp casually eating crud off the surface of a lake in 30 feet of water, dorsal fins breaking the surface like the jaws movie. I was 10 feet from them in the boat and they didn’t have a care in the world. If you had some bread or marshmallows and some #6 hooks you could have floated a little bait to em and went for a ride! They are fun to sightfish and catch on the surface like that. I have caught them on the same lake with traditional carp methods…also fun but more difficult once the weeds grow up a bit.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not sure where your located but I wouldn’t call gar rare. Rare for an angler to hook one maybe. I’ve seen them in schools feeding on shad and river minnows. I’ve seen them break surface but I can’t say I’ve ever seen one jump into the air.

ThunderLund78

Definitely seen Muskies swim in small groups while spawning, usually one large female with one or two smaller males accompanying her. Usually in 18″-24″ of water. I’ve never personally seen them break the surface but judging by the scars on their bodies, there’s definitely some occasional rough-play while courting.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Deepish water but in close proximity to shore so my first guess would also be carp. Amazing what a little light refraction can do to the profile of something under water.

My second guess would be pike. I’ve seen them cruising near spawning grounds like you mentioned but the group thing seems a little off for pike.

On local lakes in Mpls I’ve seen muskies cruising off shorelines with their snouts out of the water in spring time but it’s always a single fish. There is a reason they do this but I can’t remember why.

ThunderLund78

I think I read that when they stick their head out and swim slowly it’s some type of post-feeding behavior – helps them swallow larger prey.

Not to get off-topic.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.