Unhooking Winch Strap without Laying down on the bow

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

I was going to post this in the Lund forum, but the 1775 Impact can’t be the only boat where this is an issue (read: minor inconvenience).

I’ve launched thousands of times, no problem but it’s not yet optimal. I’d like to find a way to unhook the front strap without laying down on the bow and reaching all the way down. The problem is, the bow carpet can be wet (rain or morning dew) and then my shirt ends up all wet for at least an hour until it dries out. Woe is me.

It seems like my front eyelet is so far down, I’m 6’2″ with long-ish arms and I’m not sure how smaller people could actually reach the damn thing without getting out of the boat.

Drotto latch is an option, however I’ve considered it for 3 years now and have decided that this issue is not a $350 issue. It’s maybe a $40 inconvenience at best, in my eyes.

Anybody ever find a solution for this? I’ll update this thread when I figure out exactly what I want to do with it, in the meantime suggestions are welcome.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The problem is, the bow carpet can be wet (rain or morning dew) and then my shirt ends up all wet for at least an hour until it dries out. Woe is me.

It seems like my front eyelet is so far down, I’m 6’2″ with long-ish arms and I’m not sure how smaller people could actually reach the damn thing without getting out of the boat.

I’ve often wondered this too. I’m also 6’2″ with long arms, but I have a bass boat so the sides are much lower than your Lund. Additionally, I don’t have carpet so my shirt isn’t going to get wet. I could definitely see the problem you are having. Hope you find a reasonable solution.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Is this when loading or unloading? or Both ? I normally just back as close as possible to the dock. When loading I drive onto the trailer and power load till eye hits roller. If the boat will stay there without the motor staying in gear I just step out onto the dock and hook winch and winch tight. Sometimes depend on the landing angle I’ll need to leave the boat in gear to keep the eye close to the roller. Same process but I have to jump back into the boat and turn the motor off after winching. If no Dock at landing I do the same but usually end up getting my feet wet.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Yeah, I can barely reach that clip, but I can. My wife can’t nor can some of my fishing buddies which is why I’m always in the boat at launch. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. This exercise is more just for fun/ boredom. Since I’m comfy and not job seeking right now I need something to think about after all the chores are done at night.

My first thought is actually just deleting the “clip” mechanism on the hook and using a gaff to slide the hook on and off the eyelet. Obvious downsides to this but we’ll see.

Ripjiggen

If you are with someone why are they not unhooking before you go the last 5 ft.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll assume you have a roller trailer? Never have this issue with bunks.

-J.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yeah, I can barely reach that clip, but I can. My wife can’t nor can some of my fishing buddies which is why I’m always in the boat at launch. W

Maybe your wife and fishing buddies are just smart and say they can’t reach, so its you who ends up wet rather than them. jester

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’ll assume you have a roller trailer? Never have this issue with bunks.

-J.

yes, I have a roller trailer. The issue would be the same with bunks, with the solution being different (unhook before backing in).

If you are with someone why are they not unhooking before you go the last 5 ft.

You’re saying have someone else unhook before backing the last 5 feet? The reason I would not do this is simple- some of the launches I use are very steep and as soon as you unhook the boat is rolling.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Never have this issue with bunks.

I have a bunk trailer. I still have to reach over and unhook it before unloading when I’m by myself. Unhooking it before I back in to unload may result in the boat floating away before I can climb in…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Is this when loading or unloading? or Both ? I normally just back as close as possible to the dock. When loading I drive onto the trailer and power load till eye hits roller. If the boat will stay there without the motor staying in gear I just step out onto the dock and hook winch and winch tight. Sometimes depend on the landing angle I’ll need to leave the boat in gear to keep the eye close to the roller. Same process but I have to jump back into the boat and turn the motor off after winching. If no Dock at landing I do the same but usually end up getting my feet wet.

Same thing. But I’ll crawl from my tire to my rear bumper. No wet feet, shirt, pants and I fish solo often or with some one who can’t help

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Well, I have a Drotto and trailer steps. If you don’t want to invest in a Drotto, bring a few more shirts or a tarp/plastic to lay down on.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

As a owner of a 2021 1775 Impact with a roller trailer, the Drotto is the only way to go. Gone are the days of having to sit by fat belly on the front deck to unhook when fishing by myself also loading by myself is soooo easy. Just drive up and wait for the click and I am done, people look on in amassment as I am backed in and out in less then 30 seconds. Think I paid $260 for mine at the sports show. Save up……

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

The Drotto is perfect for your situation. You won’t regret it.

buschman
    Pool 2

I own a 17.5 lund angler and am lucky to not have loose rollers. I made it so my front center roller does not roll. Its great for holding the boat while I hop in and back off the trailer. Same for when I am loading. I can drive up and bump tight to the wench without it rolling back on me.

I put my trailer into the water where it needs to be then unhook and jump in the boat. I do have to push the boat off or use the motor to get it moving off the trailer. I prefer this.

Ripjiggen

^^^This is what I was getting at before.

Reef W

I don’t even understand the problem when launching and why you have to unhook it from in the boat. If you’re with someone else have them unhook it. If you’re by yourself hook a rope to the eye, undo the strap, and push it off.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<Same thing. But I’ll crawl from my tire to my rear bumper. No wet feet, shirt, pants and I fish solo often or with some one who can’t help

I have done the running board to the top of the rear tire to the bumper to the trailer waltz many times as well. It seems like about 50% of the time I end up falling off somewhere along the process. Either getting to the winch or getting back to dry land.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My buddies new boat has the Drotto. It sure makes loading and loading quick. Now roller trailers are just as fast as bunk trailer. I know my next boat will have one for sure.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I don’t even understand the problem when launching and why you have to unhook it from in the boat. If you’re with someone else have them unhook it. If you’re by yourself hook a rope to the eye, undo the strap, and push it off.

X2. I have never leaned over the bow to unhook. Never!

-J.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

Is this a Lund thing? I don’t have any issue reaching the eyelet on my boat from the bow.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>

X2. I have never leaned over the bow to unhook. Never!

-J.

Make that 3 of us.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

With the ulterra and graphs in the front of my Warrior, it’s a chore to reach from in the boat. But I just step on to the steps, then down to the hitch where there’s a platform to stand and unhook the eyelet.

Ideally, I have my wife with and I unhook everything and sit in the boat and she backs me in.

Couple of options…
    1. Install steps
    2. Install drotto
    3. Keep a 3×3 piece of tarp in the front part of the boat and lay on that.
    4. Back in close enough to the dock so you can step on to the dock.
    5. Deal with it!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Sounds like the drotto thing is a must with rollers? I hated my last roller trailer for this very reason. New boat has bunks and so will any other boat in the future. I remember the struggle loading fishing by myself with a roller.
    Also to not hold up others at the launches, I just wear rubber boots when water is cold.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I got a drotto this year for my Alumacraft Trophy. It works well for unloading the boat. No more leaning over to unhook the latch. I totally suck at loading it with the drotto. Most time I have a buddy backing my truck in and they either get the trailer cock eyed or to shallow/deep. I’m alot quicker if I just winch it on the trailer.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Drotto latch is an option, however I’ve considered it for 3 years now and have decided that this issue is not a $350 issue. It’s maybe a $40 inconvenience at best, in my eyes.

Don’t sell yourself short, you are worth the $350. Tell your wife it is a safety issue.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I have a 1675 impact with a roller trailer and launch by myself a lot.
    What I do is lower the tailgate and roll up the tonneau cover on the truck prior to backing down the ramp. I then can use the truck tire to get in the truck bed without getting my feet wet. I unhook the safety chain and let out some strap while sitting on the tailgate. I use the spare tire on the trailer as a step into the boat. I then power load to get slack take the strap off. It is down about 20 inches below the TM decking. I don’t recall getting wet to do this.
    I do the reverse to load.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I have a Drotto as well but putting that aside…

I have a long rope tied to the front cleat of my boat.
    I back the boat down to the waters edge,unhook it, Tie the other end of the rope onto the dock giving it enough slack for the boat to slide off the trailer when I back the rest of the way in. Once the boat is off the trailer and floating, it will remain next to the dock since it’s already tied up. Snug up the slack so it’s out of everybody else’s way while you park the vehicle and trailer. (If your by yourself)
    This is of course when your launching. Loading for me is when it’s all about the Drotto. Others have better suggestions for loading.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>
    Never have this issue with bunks.

I have a bunk trailer. I still have to reach over and unhook it before unloading when I’m by myself. Unhooking it before I back in to unload may result in the boat floating away before I can climb in…

^then you’re backing in too far. Back in just the right amount that the boat will barely stay on the bunks and only drift off as you get in and move your weight towards the back. If that’s not feasible a slight bump in reverse will do it.

shefland
    Walker

my opinion on the drotto, when you are with someone great, by yourself, still climbing in and out in the water with no dock, plus mine broke. I have a bunk with steps and where knee high boots

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.