Ultimate COLD Weather RAIN GEAR

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

??

Looking for rain gear with the insulation of ice fishing suits.

Presently I layer over ice suits.

Needs to be durable.
    Like’ rubber performance.

Recommendations

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Are you worried about the water proofing or the durability of normal high end ice fishing gear? Ice force, ice armor, ect? Does HH make anything? I would imagine you have checked.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Have you checked out any forums for tuna/commercial fisherman guys, if there are any?

Safe to say we all fish the same weather as you, but not necessarily the species nor the length of time that you put in a boat. Also safe to say you’re on another level of boat time than most here.

Quick Google got me Grundgens outerwear, worn by some tuna guys on TV, but that could just be fancy sponsorship.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Looks like Cabelas in PDC carries it

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It can only get so cold before rain gear is a moot point. How insulated does it have to be to cover that range? One of my rain suits is over-sized. There is no weather where rain exists I cant handle with the appropriate layers under that suit.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It can only get so cold before rain gear is a moot point.

And to that, here’s my application.

Pretend it’s 33°
    Blowing 40mph
    Constant rain, sometimes up to an inch an hour.
    Your sitting in a lawn chair, out in the open; occasionally getting out of the chair to grab a beer… For up to 24 hours

This is the activity level of me sturgeon fishing and why I want good insulation as well as rain gear.

Grundgens looks like they fit the bill, but I am presently researching more about them.

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

What Mike said. Try HellyHanson Impertec II. Rubbery, stretchy, inexpensive. I’ve seen them online for $66 each. Sometimes FF has them but don’t count on it. Some bearand moose guides in Alaska insist clients use them , strechy and don’t tear easily. My son has a set and just layers up as needed. Only drawback is no front zipper

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    It can only get so cold before rain gear is a moot point.

And to that, here’s my application.

Pretend it’s 33°
    Blowing 40mph
    Constant rain, sometimes up to an inch an hour.
    Your sitting in a lawn chair, out in the open; occasionally getting out of the chair to grab a beer… For up to 24 hours

This is the activity level of me sturgeon fishing and why I want good insulation as well as rain gear.

I didnt think there was rain gear that is super insulated. They make snow gear that is supposed to be waterproof. I still say buy a good Goretex suit 2 sizes big if you have to and wear winter gear underneath. I dont know. That’s crazy weather you wouldnt catch me in.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Grundgens looks like they fit the bill, but I am presently researching more about them.

x2 or Heli Hansen equivalent.

These aren’t like pvc, that’s essentially what they are. They will 100% block wind and water unlike Gore Tex type membranes.

They will also keep all moisture in. Normally this is a bad thing but maybe not so in this application. At those temps and a more stationary activity, this should be a non-issue.

Quick Google got me Grundgens outerwear, worn by some tuna guys on TV, but that could just be fancy sponsorship.

Not fancy sponsorship, this is the real deal. Did an Alaska trip late this summer. The guys who spend a lot of time on boats are using their own money to buy the orange Grundgens and a couple had an equivalent yellow HH.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

PVC. Makes total sense now.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I recently got a great deal on a used Mustang Survival suit. Insulated, waterproof and has a built in PFD. They are very spendy if buying them new though.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I currently have HH PVC and love them. Wanted to replace the coat this year and it’s a new material… Kind of a blend between PVC and fabric…I cussed and walked out. Fabrics, neoprenes, just don’t last and perform like PVC in low activity conditions. PVC also absorbs and retains the cold so kind of a double edged sword.

I’ll have to spend some time at HH and Grundgens website and will also investigate what simmms has to offer.
    Make some calls to each and see which suit best fits my needs then compare brands.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

My first post on here, just for you FBRM. Many seasons in AK sitting in weather you are talking about and will be out on Croix and Miss until ice up just lIke you, only comfortable ;-). You drove by me at the narrows a few weeks ago, I drive a V8 Duckworth jet with an enclosure. Anyway I USE to think commercial HH or Grundens with good layers under was the best, and it’s very close. But I purchased a Stormr Strykr last fall and used till ice up, deer hunting in wet sloppy sleet in WI, then in AK in summer and couldn’t be happier. My coworkers in AK usually change into a new dry jacket mid day, not me. There’s a reason duck hunters wear thick neoprene waders. Now imagine that on your upper body with pockets, rubber cuffs to seal out water, and a zipper you’ll expect on a $400 Patagonia rafting dry bag. If you are out sat night swing by and try on my 3xl.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

FYI. Of course for less $ you can get commercial HH upper and lowers AND insulated Extra tuff boots and wear sweat pants/fleece underneath. As far as Simms, I also have the insulated Bulkley jacket with Primaloft and it’s great. BUT, largest size is 2xl and not much room for extra layer for bigger guys.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Ahhh. Thanks Pete. Nice rig, I thought u were someone else that day… If you wondered why I took my time going by.

So I’m easily recognizable… Dangit.

I’ll be on water Saturday until the slutty ______ costumes come out )

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve got the Frabil Snosuit. It is the last version they made before they came up with the new design. It is warm, very durable, and has been pretty dry so far. I’ve heard as they get more worn, they may not be as water proof as when they were new. I had a seam come loose in the crotch of the bibs the first winter I had them. They do get heavy when they are real wet. They are comfortable as hell.

Grawler

Look at duck hunting gear. Cold, wet, and flexibility are cornerstones of good duck gear. Ive got Sitka stuff and layered with a filson sweater or any merino wool sweater u wont get cold or wet.

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

33 deg and 40 MPH winds……and fishing???? come on whistling whistling

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Ended up with weather boss parka from grundgens. Will be pushing 40mph tonight and potential for rain. I think it’ll get it’s first trial.

First impressions are… Wow durable!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Glad you found something! Good luck and report back! Hopefully that it out performed your expectations!

tswoboda

33 deg and 40 MPH winds……and fishing???? come on whistling whistling

40 mph GUSTS, not sustained. Big difference there.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I’m a little confused. Topic heading says RAIN GEAR in bold. But you bought a jacket that’s not waterproof……. ;-) I’m sure you’ll love it if it snows more than rains.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m a little confused. Topic heading says RAIN GEAR in bold. But you bought a jacket that’s not waterproof……. ;-) I’m sure you’ll love it if it snows more than rains.

Says 100% waterproof. Time will tell. Many things say “waterproof”. I hope that term means more to grundgens then most manufacturers… But time will tell. It’s only money

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>woody-1961 wrote:</div>
    33 deg and 40 MPH winds……and fishing???? come on ” /> ” />

40 mph GUSTS, not sustained. Big difference there.

Lol. What’s your point? Think I said “pushing 40”. Doubt I see anyone else on the water
    Think I don’t know the difference?

tswoboda

My post wasn’t directed at you, fbrm. Settle down.

Looks like that jacket has a 10,000 waterproof rating. For comparison Gore Tex is 30,000 and most ice fishing suits are around 5,000.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Definitely didn’t know the difference of waterproof ratings!

I just figured big number… Must be good lol. My eagerness and ignorance might have gotten me once again

Guess it takes a lot of pesos to make a buck too. blush

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

It says right in product description “please note, this is not 100% waterproof”. Drunk shopping again? ;-)

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Guess it takes a lot of pesos to make a buck too.  :blush:

Nope,, Just a doe and an other buck with the right stuff. doah

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.