U Haul Rental for a hunting trip?

• riverruns
    Inactive

Has anyone ever rented a U haul trailer for a trip out west? We have our own outfitter tents and wood stoves and all the gear we need. Our trailer is not in the best condition though. Has anyone ever rented a trailer and taken it on a trip to Colorado elk hunting? Wondering if this is possible? Thanks.
    Shawn

munchy
    NULL

Yes it is possible. But save your money and go to your local rental center. They will be much cheaper.

mattgroff

My buddy has a 14 ft really nice enclosed he has always talked about renting it cause he does not use it much. Probably would give you a great deal if he is willing to rent. He is in Rosemount mn and the enclosed is mint. Only 3 years old and 14ft long. He took it to Colorado elk hunting and slept in it.

riverruns
    Inactive

Thanks Matt, something I would keep in mind. Problem is Rosemount is 2 hours away from me. I kind of like the idea of renting one from a company like a rental center. I would think they would have some sort of plan to use a backup trailer if something should happen to the rented trailer along the way? I also don’t feel quite a guilty using a rental centers trailer and “using” it. I would hate to borrow someones and something happens to it. Looks like uhaul has a 6×12 for around $29 a day. $300 split between 8 people doesn’t seem too bad?
    Shawn

Bass_attack

We rented one for a North Dakota trip after it was hooked up we asked about the wheel bearing maintenance and the employee had no idea what wheel bearings were. No problems though.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just be very much aware of the “fine print” with U-Haul and other rentals. Ever notice the maximum speed stickers on their trailers? You sign for full responsibility- but have no clue if/how it has been maintained. I had a circus act going with a local rental shop. Tire blew out at about 40 mph. Was a under rated tire to begin with and i had no load in the trailer. They tried to hold me accountable for 100% of the damage

If I remember correctly, I think Cougereye had a very similar situation

riverruns
    Inactive

pppP

Yellowdog, could you explain? Tires?

riverruns
    Inactive

Just be very much aware of the “fine print” with U-Haul and other rentals. Ever notice the maximum speed stickers on their trailers? You sign for full responsibility- but have no clue if/how it has been maintained. I had a circus act going with a local rental shop. Tire blew out at about 40 mph. Was a under rated tire to begin with and i had no load in the trailer. They tried to hold me accountable for 100% of the damage

If I remember correctly, I think Cougereye had a very similar situation

Thanks Randy. I didn’t know this. Good info.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Do yourself a favor and be sure to get the trailer early. Like a week early. Be sure you have every thing you need to change a tire including bottle jack and blocks of wood. Go buy a spare tire and wheel and load it last onto the trailer. Do not rely on U Haul to do anything for you. Be ready to handle things yourself to save your trip. Also the lug nuts will have been tighten with a air wrench, be sure to have a breaker bar with to loosen them.

I travel 1,000’s of miles on the freeways yearly across the country. I see very, very few problems with U Haul trailers. However if something should happen it can take many hours for them to get to you and solve the problem.

Also if you have triple A always know where you are on the freeway. They want mile markers or exit numbers or they won’t help you.

milemark_714

If using Uhaul,make sure every nick,dent and scratch has a quick claim sticker on it,otherwise they will get you for them.

riverruns
    Inactive

From what it sounds like uhaul rental is not going to happen. I’ve never needed or rented an enclosed trailer or any trailer for that fact. I’ll look elsewhere for a trailer. If anyone has suggestions through them out there. Thanks!
    Shawn

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Whats the problem that you aren’t using U-Haul?

riverruns
    Inactive

Whats the problem that you aren’t using U-Haul?

Hmm? Above comments might have helped my decision..

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You won’t find a rental company thats any better. For what it’s worth those U Haul trailers are the best made in my opinion. If you borrow a trailer you wouldn’t leave without a spare and the tools to change a flat tire would you? Only thing I was warning you of is to be prepared. I wouldn’t be afraid of a U Haul.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

I’ve rented eight Uhauls in the past and never had any problems. Might be a little pricey depending on how long of a trip

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Used their big truck plus an enclosed trailer to move last fall, had no problems. Also back in college about 5 years ago, a large group of us went out west to go skiing/snowboarding for spring break. We rented an enclosed trailer from U-Haul to throw all of our gear in to haul out there and back. Worked fine then too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.