Two Harbors

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I just returned from almost a week of time at the cabin in Two Harbors and managed to fish every day but one. The fishing could have been better but honestly the colors up there right now were a balm for the fishing ego. I took this picture on Monday morning and by this morning before we left for home the lane into the woods behind the feeder in the picture’s center was a carpet of color and all non-pine trees were fired up. The woods in may areas there were at 100% color when we left today and the first forty miles on the Interstate coming home were stunning. I think that the colors were the best I have seen in many years. By the time we got to Sandstone the colors began to get more and more green.

No bear in the yard this trip and darned few deer. We had a beautiful gray fox in three nights and one night we had a skunk that was absolutely stunning in his pelt colors. Needless to say I enjoyed watching him from the window and breathed a slight sigh as he wandered down the drive and crossed the road. We had frost heavy enough to make the road ditches look snowed on three mornings and the fireplace saw some action this trip.

There were some anglers jigging for trout on humps out from the breakwater a half mile and they seemed to have fish on more regular than the trollers. Not a Salmon seen. The 4 we brought home were between 3 and 6 pounds….just right for the table or the smoker and most likely will get done as the latter.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1207.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Great post Tom. Were you fishing from the breakwater or in a boat?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I did both.

Saturday and Sunday we fished the boat before my buddy came down sick and had to leave Monday morning. Tuesday and Weds I hit the wall once each morning and again each afternoon.

With the season extended this fall one should think that they’s fire up and start hitting better. Its unreal how many fish are getting marked. Not just single fish either….I am talking very large schools of fish stacking up along the bottom. We saw bait balls down deep that were maybe 100 feet long and 20 feet from top to bottom and every one of them had several huge arches either atop or under or right in the ball.

The whole area was full of fish out as far as three miles but as I mentioned, a few jiggers were getting some fish but for us pulling lines it was tough. We did lead line and balls to cover the whole water column and the lead got the fish in the boat. 6 colors out was the magic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.