Twins 2020

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

Lets start over, Will the Twins have a good regular season next year?

JoeMX1825
    MN

It’s time for the Twins management to finally step upto the plate and spend $$ on a legit #1 starter and 1-2 top tier bullpen arms. I think we’re all tired of “Waiting for the prospects to mature” argument, we have a window now, it’s time to take our shot…I wouldn’t change much up offensively as we have key starters at all positions.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Well, if they make the playoffs their track record shows they’ll get swept by the Yankees.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

World Series or bust, right? Looking forward to free agency I guess.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You guys are literally insane, it will be the exact same process as always and the same results. The Twins will be in on a few of the bigger name Free Agents, “barely” lose out and sign a few guys off the scrap heap to make it look like they are trying. If this year didn’t teach you they have no intention of doing what it takes to take the next step, no year will. Join me in boycotting all things Twins until there is new ownership, life is much easier and less stressful!

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

We will win 96 games, have a trip to the ALCS and yes… the front office will do their thing and get some pitching here this off season. It’s much easier to convince an ace to sign with a team that won 101 games and clearly needs pitching to push over the top, than to convince an ace to sign and be a piece of a puzzle that gets us to the playoffs. Top stars in any sport want to win, not help build a winner.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

If your intent is to boycott may I suggest not spending time and energy in a thread devoted to the Twins? No ownership? Ok, John Lennon.

tangler
    Inactive

You guys are literally insane, it will be the exact same process as always and the same results. The Twins will be in on a few of the bigger name Free Agents, “barely” lose out and sign a few guys off the scrap heap to make it look like they are trying. If this year didn’t teach you they have no intention of doing what it takes to take the next step, no year will. Join me in boycotting all things Twins until there is no ownership, life is much easier and less stressful!

There’s a middle ground here, I think. I don’t seem to have any problem enjoying good baseball while it’s there to watch, without feeling the need to constantly wring my hands about what ownership or management is up to, second-guessing every move from free agents to when to use the shift jester It’s easy, just stop caring so much about something that you have no control over! Enjoy the good times when they exist, don’t let the down times affect you. Easy-peasy.

FWIW, I don’t disagree with much of what you say, up to the point of the last sentence. It just doesn’t bother me because this is the way it’s always been and I know my opinion doesn’t mean a thing to the Pohlads.

Great season Twins! See ya next year!

(see that was easy.)

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Join me in boycotting all things Twins until there is no ownership, life is much easier and less stressful!

When does your boycott begin? coffee

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I hear ya BigWerm. I laughed at the ‘literally insane’ part. Mostly because it’s true and that’s how I feel being a MN sports fan in general.

FryDog62

Not so sure our squad gets by Cleveland next year even to get to the ALDS… depends on who both teams sign in the off season but the Indians have a good nucleus too.

The Twins HAVE to sign a front-line elite pitcher – and to BigWerm’s point above, we end up second place (or 30th) too often. Unheard of here but we might have to out-bid other larger market teams for a top arm. And maybe if they do that, other free agents will give more serious thought to Minnesota.

Problem is there aren’t a lot of Kershaws or Verlanders available out there… But a Gerritt Cole or Strasburg would gain some attention for sure. …If the Twins will cough up $200m+ and the fans are willing to risk that pitcher stays healthy and is dominating.

Brian B

Wish we would have dumped Buxton in a trade for a pitcher when the opportunity was there. Teams wanted him but the Twins refused to deal him away. Yes he’s an amazing outfielder. Also a mediocre hitter, and can’t stay healthy. Now we’ll be lucky to get a bag of baseballs in trade

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If the Twins will cough up $200m+ and the fans are willing to risk that pitcher stays healthy and is dominating.

I didn’t realize the fans had a say.

blank

Wish we would have dumped Buxton in a trade for a pitcher when the opportunity was there. Teams wanted him but the Twins refused to deal him away. Yes he’s an amazing outfielder. Also a mediocre hitter, and can’t stay healthy. Now we’ll be lucky to get a bag of baseballs in trade

Not only did they not accept those offers, but it was widely viewed as laughable that teams would ask for such a high price. Personally, I agree with you that they should have made that Buxton for Syndergaard trade, if that’s really what the offer was.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Like biggill said in the other thread, another pitching ace or 2 may not even have helped them in this ALDS as the Twins only managed 3 runs the last 2 games.

Frankly it doesn’t matter who the Twins add to their roster, they’ll never get past NY until they find a way to get rid of the “curse”.

When the Twins traded David “Big Papi” Ortiz to the Boston Red Sox, Boston sent the “Curse of the Bambino” back to the Twins in return. eek

Boston went on to win multiple World Series, and the Twins haven’t beaten the Yankees since. frown

blank

Ortiz was released by the Twins and signed with the Red Sox. They tried to trade him but couldn’t reach a deal with anyone so they cut him instead.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Ortiz was released by the Twins and signed with the Red Sox. They tried to trade him but couldn’t reach a deal with anyone so they cut him instead.

Yes, that is correct…the Twins released Ortiz in 2002 and Boston signed him the following season.

“Curse of the Big Papi” doah

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

There’s a middle ground here, I think. I don’t seem to have any problem enjoying good baseball while it’s there to watch, without feeling the need to constantly wring my hands about what ownership or management is up to, second-guessing every move from free agents to when to use the shift jester It’s easy, just stop caring so much about something that you have no control over! Enjoy the good times when they exist, don’t let the down times affect you. Easy-peasy.

FWIW, I don’t disagree with much of what you say, up to the point of the last sentence. It just doesn’t bother me because this is the way it’s always been and I know my opinion doesn’t mean a thing to the Pohlads.

Great season Twins! See ya next year!

(see that was easy.)

I do relate to this philosophy. I enjoy the entertainment aspects of professional sports which is good because it’s an entertainment industry. Once the season is over I just move on. If one happens to be a fan of the sport of baseball the World Series is yet to come and it doesn’t get any better so it’s worth tuning in (even if different teams are in it).

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Join me in boycotting all things Twins until there is no ownership, life is much easier and less stressful!

When does your boycott begin? coffee

It started when I didn’t renew my season tickets in about 2010, and has only increased since then to this year when I didn’t attend a single game for the first time since about 1985.

If your intent is to boycott may I suggest not spending time and energy in a thread devoted to the Twins? No ownership? Ok, John Lennon.

Thought it was pretty clear, but I’ll spell it out boycott all things Pohlad. Last I checked they weren’t banking money off an IDO thread. And I fixed the typo, to NEW Ownership. Those billionaire trust fund babies sure have a lot of pocket protectors out there, and while I’ll never understand why, I will continue to roast the owners any chance I get. Billions of tax payers money goes to pad their pockets and they don’t even give you the courtesy of attempting to do what it takes to win. Insane.

Fowldreams55398

I don’t see this team doing anything next year. Pitching is still a problem and will continue to be a problem. We need new ownership that actually cares about the team and not just part of their portfolio.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Small market teams CAN compete and win in MLB (look at the Royals a few years ago) but they have to take advantage of their short windows of optimal cheap contract prospects and mid-priced talent a few years before arbitration and FA send them to the big market teams…

The Twins have just started opening that window and need to make a run in the next 1-2 years…I expected the Yanks to take care of us (not in a 3 game sweep though) but you need to pay your dues and sometimes getting your arse kicked is a benefit…They definitely got me excited for Baseball again..

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Thought it was pretty clear, but I’ll spell it out boycott all things Pohlad. Last I checked they weren’t banking money off an IDO thread. And I fixed the typo, to NEW Ownership.

My bad

Small market teams CAN compete and win in MLB (look at the Royals a few years ago) but they have to take advantage of their short windows of optimal cheap contract prospects and mid-priced talent a few years before arbitration and FA send them to the big market teams…

Yep

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>
    If the Twins will cough up $200m+ and the fans are willing to risk that pitcher stays healthy and is dominating.

I didn’t realize the fans had a say.

If the fans stop coming there wont be enough cabbage to even pay to sign Ricky Nolasco (he’s available thru FA again this year, maybe we should sign him quickly)

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If the fans stop coming there wont be enough cabbage to even pay to sign Ricky Nolasco (he’s available thru FA again this year, maybe we should sign him quickly)

Didn’t stop them from paying Joe.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Those of you that continue to promote getting rid of Buxton don’t pay attention to the details. First, he’s one of the best value players in baseball. His WAR is something above 3 and they pay him less than $2m. They also have him locked up for another couple years on a very favorable contract.

The Twins winning percentage with him in the lineup is substantially higher than without. He effects the game and how other teams gameplan for the Twins. His improvement in 2019 shows he can be a core contributor to this team for years.

The Twins absolutely need more pitching – I think Falvine will go get it but not at the expense of Buxton. They would be better off to trade prospects who have upside but aren’t proven.

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

Didn’t stop them from paying Joe.

But he was “one of us…”
    flame

The point is – they need to put another $23m into elite pitching or expect nothing more than advancing to the playoffs occasionally and losing in the first round..

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Matt brings up some very good points re: Buxton’s value. Also, it wasn’t Buxton for Syndergaard straight up; that’s where the proposed deal started, not the entirety of it.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Well with some of your takes before and during the season Werm I could tell you hadnt watched much baseball recently. It all makes sense now.

Anyway, agreed with above that the pitching does not need, or absolutely should not, come at the expense of Buxton. I’m not expecting Pohlad dump any more cash into the team, obviously, but Falvine have done an excellent job in setting up the future for the team. Assuming they dont have to push Pohlad to get back to where their payroll was this year, I think they’ll have the space to do what they need to do with the pitching rotation. Do I actually think it will happen? No, probably not. But I’m not an asshole and I actually want to see my hometown team do well lol

Cole, Ryu, possibly Strasberg, Wheeler, Odo, Bumgarner, and Pineda are at the top of the list. Doesnt seem to be a ton of trade candidates out there.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Boy Werm, you and frydog have it all figured out. Guess we should lock this down because there’s nothing left to discuss. Hell, there’s no reason to watch. For someone who’s boycotting the twins you sure seem interested.

Must be nice standing atop that pedestal telling all us wackos how dumb we are. Most of us are all new to this. How long have the Pohlads owned the team again? 10 years? 20? 35? What? That can’t be right. We’re only now just realizing that they have a history of not spending money. Well, there’s no way in hell a team that does that can ever be competitive, let alone win a WS. That can’t be a good business model.

What? The twins won a WS? TWICE??? By teams owned by the Pohlads? Must be fake news to generate ticket and merchandise sales. Can anyone confirm this nonsense?

I guess that’s it. I guess I’ll head over to the wild thread where there’s a team that spends some money and does nothing but win championships. Just like the Vikings.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Like biggill said in the other thread, another pitching ace or 2 may not even have helped them in this ALDS as the Twins only managed 3 runs the last 2 games.

Frankly it doesn’t matter who the Twins add to their roster, they’ll never get past NY until they find a way to get rid of the “curse”.

When the Twins traded David “Big Papi” Ortiz to the Boston Red Sox, Boston sent the “Curse of the Bambino” back to the Twins in return. eek

Boston went on to win multiple World Series, and the Twins haven’t beaten the Yankees since. frown

Curse.

Also defined as, “HAVEN’T HAD A PITCHER WHO COULD WIN A BIG GAME SINCE JACK MORRIS”.

Curse…..What a joke. Get a real pitching staff and watch how many postseason games you win.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 1,393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.