Twins 2020

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Glad I have a slow day today at work.

I went back and looked at the box scores last season for games the Twins bullpen blew leads. To qualify the Twins had to have the lead in the game and a BULLPEN pitcher had to be the one to give up the lead. (Bullpen games not included)

11 leads were surrendered during the regular season (many of which were 3-5 runs given up in the last three innings of said games. Admittedly this is less than I thought but there were games where they got bailed out by the hitters as well. (didn’t count those, just noticed them)

Both playoff losses were given up by the bullpen as well.

Now, to be fair, I can acknowledge that all the blame can’t be placed on the bullpen as a lack of run scoring at the back end of games was a problem for this team last season. However, just by looking at the box scores you can see how teams bashed our relief corps compared to our starters after a couple weeks into the season. The crooked numbers after our starters left the games were pretty telling.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Mahto I know you only like subjective data so you can weasel some opinion out of it, but the link below is some factual information that you are unable to twist. Click on some columns and you’ll find the Twins in the top in about all the categories you want to be top 5 in.

Best part, you dont have to bank on a slow day at work to dig through every box score of every game for the season. This is all right here for you. Ya know, factual data and stuff.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2020&month=0&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

FryDog62

“Now, to be fair, I can acknowledge that all the blame can’t be placed on the bullpen…”

True, great starting pitching can and does negate the reliance on a bullpen.

“X about a million!! Pitching wins in the playoffs.”

A dominant Ace will pitch 2-3 times in a playoff/WS series. Imagine if you had 2 legit stoppers? Actually, most teams that win a WS have two dominators. The Twins have two starters that are #3 on teams like that. They will continue to get beat in the playoffs until that changes ~

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mahto I know you only like subjective data so you can weasel some opinion out of it, but the link below is some factual information that you are unable to twist. Click on some columns and you’ll find the Twins in the top in about all the categories you want to be top 5 in.

Best part, you dont have to bank on a slow day at work to dig through every box score of every game for the season. This is all right here for you. Ya know, factual data and stuff.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2020&month=0&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

So I guess BB/9IP, HR/9IP and BABIP doesn’t matter? You pick and choose just as much as me pal. If you take the first three weeks of the season out of it, I bet they are bottom 1/3.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Lol well yes you can pick and choose some peripheral numbers that maybe they weren’t in the top 5 but ERA, FIP, and WAR are much more telling than BB/9 is.

And here’s a link that excluded the first three weeks of the season, just like you asked. Season stats as if the season had started 8/13. You’ll notice one thing right away, that they aren’t in the bottom 1/3. Wont take you long to find them either smirk

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2020&month=1000&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2020-08-13&enddate=2020-12-31

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I get it Tbro. You’re a numbers guy to a fault. I’m a W/L guy to a fault. You can throw all the metrics you want at me but until the bullpen isn’t near the top in losses, your numbers aren’t going to convince me otherwise.

Because in the end, wins and losses are all that matters.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i cant wait for someone to start a 2021 twins thread i tried the vikings thread and that went to $hit faster than the Trumpster to a tanning bed.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

i cant wait for someone to start a 2021 twins thread i tried the vikings thread and that went to $hit faster than the Trumpster to a tanning bed.

I have a feeling the 2021 thread won’t look much different….. jester

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Death, taxes, mahto v tbro…

Can you imagine how boring this thread would be if it werent for mahto and i bickering about the same stupid crap over and over? I think it’d end up being about 12 pages of fatboy this, fatboy that from Dutchy tongue

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>moustachesteve wrote:</div>

Can you imagine how boring this thread would be if it werent for mahto and i bickering about the same stupid crap over and over? I think it’d end up being about 12 pages of fatboy this, fatboy that from Dutchy tongue

Haha yeah, we should organize an IDO outing to the new Twins affiliate in St. Paul next summer, if such a thing is allowed by our overlords rotflol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

HAHAHA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>

Haha yeah, we should organize an IDO outing to the new Twins affiliate in St. Paul next summer, if such a thing is allowed by our overlords rotflol

Werm I’d be up for that for sure! I’m probably going to be at more Saints games than Twins games if they allow fans in. I think it’s pretty cool our AAA team will be right in my backyard.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Assuming the vaccine is readily available by then I’d absolutely be in for an IDO baseball hang out. Not sure what the xBA would be on that as of today haha

Dan
    Southeast MN

It’s never worked out for me to make an unofficial IDO ice fishing day. The good thing about a baseball game get together is I don’t have to prove I’m not that good at fishing jester

Viewing 13 posts - 1,381 through 1,393 (of 1,393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.