TV memories

• Lynn Seiler

I need a new TV so I log on and shop. I find a endless number of options available at my door with two day free shipping. That got me thinking about TV sets in the past. Several memories make me chuckle.

Try holding a mirror so Dad can see the test pattern and make adjustments at the back of the set. An eight year old can learn some new words very quickly.

Dad was a diy guy so on occasion he would throw a dozen tubes in a shoebox and head to the drugstore where he set up at the tube tester to find the bad tubes. Often took several trips.

We had a set when many in the extended family didn’t. Many family gatherings were at our house and often more than a dozen people were glued to a 16” RCA.

We’ve come a long way!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Assume the Fox viewing position! rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Married-with-Children.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I remember only one TV in particular. Once the folks got a new one it moved to the basement for kids and video games. On the top right corner, in just the right spot, it needed to be hit once to turn on, once for sound, and once more for color. It was an art.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I remember the tube testers. Sometimes my dad would just take the tubes out one-by-one and blow the dust out of the socket and put them back in. Voila, it works!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Let the TV warm up…. jester jester jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I remember sitting in my grandparent’s living room one day, grandpa was in his usual place in the oversized, avocado-green recliner, that nobody else had ever sat in. Even once. To have the full picture, you have to understand that grandpa was a giant man of pure Bohemian ancestry (don’t call him a Czech!), enormous strength, and a short fuse. He had both the gift for language and the essentially fatalistic world view of a people who have spent the past thousand years or so waiting for bad things to happen and then colorfully complaining about them when they did.

Grandpa was the grain elevator manager in town and as such he was better known than the mayor and held considerably more sway.

So there I was, sitting there reading Fins & Feathers and grandpa was watching the Twins game and they were trying to cling to a 3-2 lead in the 7th and there were 2 men on as the starting pitcher was replaced.

Suddenly, the ol’ RCA went “WHAP!” and a blue flash lit up the room. I looked up just in time to see a puff of smoke rise in a mini-mushroom cloud from the back of the RCA as the picture collapsed into a white dot and disappeared, leaving only the black screen.

“Grandpa, what happened?” I asked.

“How the hell should I know?” he replied. “The only thing I can tell you for sure is it’s going to take more than a gawddamned screwdriver to fix it.”

Then he yelled, “Helen! Call the priest and the appliance store. We need the last rites and new damned RCA and we need them both delivered NOW.”

I swear a half-hour did not pass before two men in coveralls appeared in their official van, entered the house, and reverently removed the dearly departed. They then emerged from the van with a brand new RCA console model and quickly positioned it and switched it on. All without making eye contact or speaking.

“Dammnit!” grandpa roared, making both Appliance Men jump. “You fellas took your sweet-ass time. The blessed game is over for chrissake!”

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We had a giant color console TV in the living room and a black & white in the basement. For the console TV my Dad would occasionally have us stand outside and signal which direction the antenna was pointing so he could adjust the control box for the motorized antenna when it got out of adjustment. That was important because every channel required you to point the antenna in a specific direction. N s e w
    The b&w tv with rabbit ears wrapped in tinfoil got about 4 stations but only 2 or 3 well. One of which was UHF.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I remember being the remote for the better part of my youth, “Ok switch it over to 11…now back to 4…or 7 if it comes in better” (which were the same channel, CBS). Eventually, and thankfully, upgraded to a TV WITH a remote which was quite the convenience, and asset to possess. And that old TV I got to put in my room, and used a cane to change channels from bed. rotflol rotflol

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Remember when TVs were a piece of furniture?
    Sorry wrong picture came up.

Attachments:
    1. w.jpg

buck-slayer

I remember getting our first color TV in mid 60’s. Watching Roger from Barton TV adjust it as my brother and I lay on the couch and watch. We were really excited.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

As a very young child I remember only getting 3 channels–2,7,and 9. All out of Iowa because I live in the very SW corner of Wisconsin. I don’t remember when we got Madison stations–3,15, and 27. Then channel 21 showed up, then Fox 47.

Somethings really don’t change much–
    still only watch about 8 channels.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Let the TV warm up….

X2 At least 5 minutes, longer if it was older!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Replacing the antenna flame

Every time there was wind damage, I was the monkey to climb the tower. Then to re-calibrate the dam control for the motor. Channels never lined up with the old marks, so had to redo every channel

Tubes – bad memories there. Can only compare it to fixing windows XP after every update install

Racine telecable – our first cable network had A&B channels. Had to switch which band you were on then change channel.

Grew up as the human remote. When we got our first VCR, we already had cable. VCR had a corded remote, but still had to get up for the A/B switch.

Life was so rough back then

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Suddenly, the ol’ RCA went “WHAP!” and a blue flash lit up the room. I looked up just in time to see a puff of smoke rise in a mini-mushroom cloud from the back of the RCA as the picture collapsed into a white dot and disappeared, leaving only the black screen.

“Grandpa, what happened?” I asked.

“How the hell should I know?” he replied. “The only thing I can tell you for sure is it’s going to take more than a gawddamned screwdriver to fix it.”

What an awesome story!! rotflol rotflol rotflol

big_g
    Isle, MN

I remember being the remote for the better part of my youth, “Ok switch it over to 11…now back to 4…or 7 if it comes in better” (which were the same channel, CBS). rotflol rotflol

Yes, I remember 4 was CBS out of the big city and 7 was CBS out of Alexandria. I remmber going from a huge 19″ TV to the monster 26″ !!! Later, in the early 80’s, We added the 14′ Satellite dish in the front yard, we could communicate with aliens with that thing !

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

, We added the 14′ Satellite dish in the front yard, we could communicate with aliens

We just got rid of the satellite dish a few years ago. No way in hell I’m yanking out the 4’x 4’x 4’ concrete brick in the ground. I’m using as a flag pole base.

queenswake
    NULL

Our only TV was in the living room. 13 inch color TV that we had to hit on the top in order to work. What I liked about analog TV, however, is that you could always get a picture, even if it might not be clear. With digital antenna, it’s all or nothing. Thankfully I’ve finally found an antenna that works well.

The main thing I wax nostalgic for is free Twins games on any TV in the state. Grrrrr… do not get me started.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

The remote that made sounds like a leaky tire and never worked.

dennis smith

Remember the countdown and then the tv stations would shut down for the night.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    I remember being the remote for the better part of my youth, “Ok switch it over to 11…now back to 4…or 7 if it comes in better” (which were the same channel, CBS). rotflol rotflol

Yes, I remember 4 was CBS out of the big city and 7 was CBS out of Alexandria. I remmber going from a huge 19″ TV to the monster 26″ !!! Later, in the early 80’s, We added the 14′ Satellite dish in the front yard, we could communicate with aliens with that thing !

Remember the dial you turned to change the satellite dish angle?

My grandpa’s satellite dish got the Spice channel……I was in junior high. Nuff said.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Standing in the doorway with my dad on the roof tuning in the antenna.
    One winter a storm below down the tower down we had to turn the antenna
    so we could get the vikings game in. I was like in 5th grade.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Had an old B & W Zenith with a knob to change the channel. Had to move it 1/2 way off the station to get reception. When I would wrestle around with my brother it would knock the channel changer off the 1/2 way mark and the Old man would say “take it outside boys” when we didn’t he would stand up and reach for his belt buckle.
    Then we would take off!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

My grandpa had the first color TV in town. I remember walking into his front room, and there was Grandpa watching “Rocky and Bullwnkle”. Apparently it was the only program that was in color and he just bought a color TV so that’s what he was going to watch.

I used to be pretty good at fixing TV’s. The old analog color TV’s had a panel in the back that had a about 15 controls on it that you would use to set up “convergence”. All the controls interacted, were scratchy, and would frequently fail. An absolute pain to deal with.

I also remember degaussing the screen with an electric drill. Ah yes, the good old days.

SR

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Remember the dial you turned to change the satellite dish angle?

My grandpa’s satellite dish got the Spice channel……I was in junior high. Nuff said.

How about F4 channel 24…. jester

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Put it on ch 3 to play games. Intellivision, sega, etc.

navtiller
    chippewa falls

Growing up in Milwaukee at 10PM just before the news started, an announcement and with anaccompaning rolling banner across the top of the screen “It’s ten o’clock in Milwaukee, do you know where your children are”. How times have changed. roll

disco bobber

I kind of had my own 19 inch in the basement as a male coming of age during the era of “jiggle shows” in the late 70’s and early 80’s. I don’t think I need to say anything more.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My TV memories from my youth were simple:

Mom: “Turn off that TV and get outside!”

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.