Bow hunting longbeards

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Quote:

Correct eye-full…if you can take the birds legs out, they can’t fly! But I would still aim for the heart/lung area for a quicker kill! Hate to see any animals suffer!

That’s what I was thinking, thanks.

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

Say do you use the ghillie suit for deer also? Sounds like bows the way to go 3′ away thats a rush .

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

Say do you use the ghillie suit for deer also? Sounds like bows the way to go 3′ away thats a rush .

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Quote:

I’m putting it together over the winter for spring. So I haven’t tried it for deer but plan to if all goes well for turkeys this spring. All I’m doing is taking one of my older camo long Ts and hot glueing strips of burlap to it. Then I’m going to stick it in the drier to rough the burlap up some. Yes the hot glue is holding very well.
    Since you have a blind if you can use decoys, don’t be afraid to put them with in 10 yds. of your blind. See alot of pros do that with great success. When they get that close you can only hope they don’t hear your heart ing. Good hunting.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Quote:

I’m putting it together over the winter for spring. So I haven’t tried it for deer but plan to if all goes well for turkeys this spring. All I’m doing is taking one of my older camo long Ts and hot glueing strips of burlap to it. Then I’m going to stick it in the drier to rough the burlap up some. Yes the hot glue is holding very well.
    Since you have a blind if you can use decoys, don’t be afraid to put them with in 10 yds. of your blind. See alot of pros do that with great success. When they get that close you can only hope they don’t hear your heart ing. Good hunting.

Tbone
    Stillwater, MN

Bow hunted for turkey for the first time last year. Had a jake at 25 yards facing away from me at my decoy. Shot him right in the vent(intentionally). He ran 10 yards flew 30 yards and expired. What a rush with a bow. I have gotten them with shotgun, but last year wanted to try with a bow. I will say it is hard to draw without a blind and this bird did see me draw, but didn’t spook and I was able to put a good shot on him. If I had a side view I would aim for the wing joint. I used my standard expanding broad heads that I use for deer and it carved a nice hole. Good luck.

Tbone
    Stillwater, MN

Bow hunted for turkey for the first time last year. Had a jake at 25 yards facing away from me at my decoy. Shot him right in the vent(intentionally). He ran 10 yards flew 30 yards and expired. What a rush with a bow. I have gotten them with shotgun, but last year wanted to try with a bow. I will say it is hard to draw without a blind and this bird did see me draw, but didn’t spook and I was able to put a good shot on him. If I had a side view I would aim for the wing joint. I used my standard expanding broad heads that I use for deer and it carved a nice hole. Good luck.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I tried with a bow 2 years ago but had to resort to the 12 gauge on the last day. Last year I took my son for his first ever hunt…this tom came out in the field full strut within 10 yards of him! He did awesome…sat still and never moved! That was a thrill for both of us!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I tried with a bow 2 years ago but had to resort to the 12 gauge on the last day. Last year I took my son for his first ever hunt…this tom came out in the field full strut within 10 yards of him! He did awesome…sat still and never moved! That was a thrill for both of us!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

That’s awesome you guys, thanks for sharing the picture. I bet you are one proud papa . I’m thinking about taking out my nephew this year, maybe even let him try to get one.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

That’s awesome you guys, thanks for sharing the picture. I bet you are one proud papa . I’m thinking about taking out my nephew this year, maybe even let him try to get one.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

They are the future of our sport…whether it’s hunting or fishing, get em out early and make it fun for them. They’ll be hooked for life!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

They are the future of our sport…whether it’s hunting or fishing, get em out early and make it fun for them. They’ll be hooked for life!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Well I wanted to let you guys know I picked up a nice blind, Ameristep Doghouse TSC at the Sportsman’s Guide for $79.95(saved 80-100$). So I guess I won’t be commando the entire season.
    The big reason I got it is to take my nephew, the picture dartman posted really helped my decision out. I’m putting a few conditions on him though, bring his grades up some and do a better job of respecting his mother. Yesterday he came home with a note from his teacher saying how awesome he has done the last couple days, the only one of her students doing their work and listening to her. So to reward him, we went to range and I let him shoot the shotgun for the first time in his life, first the 410 and worked are way up. He did really good and is so excited that he might get to shoot a turkey. Sorry for the long post but wanted to share, I’m a little excited too.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Well I wanted to let you guys know I picked up a nice blind, Ameristep Doghouse TSC at the Sportsman’s Guide for $79.95(saved 80-100$). So I guess I won’t be commando the entire season.
    The big reason I got it is to take my nephew, the picture dartman posted really helped my decision out. I’m putting a few conditions on him though, bring his grades up some and do a better job of respecting his mother. Yesterday he came home with a note from his teacher saying how awesome he has done the last couple days, the only one of her students doing their work and listening to her. So to reward him, we went to range and I let him shoot the shotgun for the first time in his life, first the 410 and worked are way up. He did really good and is so excited that he might get to shoot a turkey. Sorry for the long post but wanted to share, I’m a little excited too.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

That is great eye-full…how old is your nephew? I’ve learned that the best way to keep a kid out of trouble is introduce him/her to the outdoors! My father made sure he took both myself and my brother out when we were kids! Now we are taking our kids…and it’s more thrilling to watch them experience what we did at that young age! One thing I did with my son was to have him bring something along in case he got bored…which was his GameBoy! That’s one reason he sat so still while there was down time in our turkey hunt! But we also did some running and gunning if we didn’t have any action…that helped as well!!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

That is great eye-full…how old is your nephew? I’ve learned that the best way to keep a kid out of trouble is introduce him/her to the outdoors! My father made sure he took both myself and my brother out when we were kids! Now we are taking our kids…and it’s more thrilling to watch them experience what we did at that young age! One thing I did with my son was to have him bring something along in case he got bored…which was his GameBoy! That’s one reason he sat so still while there was down time in our turkey hunt! But we also did some running and gunning if we didn’t have any action…that helped as well!!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks for the tips Dartman, I didn’t think of running and gunning with him but it makes sense. He’ll be 11 on April 25 and thankfully he has two gameboys . He is not an early riser(wouldn’t wake if a band went through)so we may have to work around that. I started to teach him how to use a push button call and he sounds better then my dad lol.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks for the tips Dartman, I didn’t think of running and gunning with him but it makes sense. He’ll be 11 on April 25 and thankfully he has two gameboys . He is not an early riser(wouldn’t wake if a band went through)so we may have to work around that. I started to teach him how to use a push button call and he sounds better then my dad lol.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.