Bow hunting longbeards

• jmj83
    Rochester,MN

Long time turkey hunter, first time with bow. Any tips?? shot placement?? I’ve heard where the wing meets the body, and the head.????????

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Get guilletine broadheads and give it a shot! thats what i plan on doing this spring! it’s supposed to take the turkeys head right off this way you shouldn’t wreck any meat! Guilletine

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Get guilletine broadheads and give it a shot! thats what i plan on doing this spring! it’s supposed to take the turkeys head right off this way you shouldn’t wreck any meat! Guilletine

waterfowler99
    Midwest

i seriously doubt hunting a turkey your hunting for “meat” i ve always just aimed for the center, what ever angle ther at, youll kill em

waterfowler99
    Midwest

i seriously doubt hunting a turkey your hunting for “meat” i ve always just aimed for the center, what ever angle ther at, youll kill em

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

My tips would be to save the 36 bucks for those broadheads. Shot placement is right infront of the wings and the only place to shoot them. You don’t waste meat up there since the breasts are lower.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

My tips would be to save the 36 bucks for those broadheads. Shot placement is right infront of the wings and the only place to shoot them. You don’t waste meat up there since the breasts are lower.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

correct if you don’t want a good clean kill at the head its pointless to use the big bulky broad heads. but the would you go for a regular broad head or a field tip for that. th only problom i have heard with bow hunting them is that if you don’t hit them right they will fly away and are next to impossibal to find and get another shot within bow range… i am undecided i just thought the quilletine was a cool looking invention but i also don’t feel like paying that money for a broad head the would get used once a year?

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

correct if you don’t want a good clean kill at the head its pointless to use the big bulky broad heads. but the would you go for a regular broad head or a field tip for that. th only problom i have heard with bow hunting them is that if you don’t hit them right they will fly away and are next to impossibal to find and get another shot within bow range… i am undecided i just thought the quilletine was a cool looking invention but i also don’t feel like paying that money for a broad head the would get used once a year?

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

You use your regular broadheads. I have never had them run off on me since when you shoot them just infront of the wings you get a heart and lung shot.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

You use your regular broadheads. I have never had them run off on me since when you shoot them just infront of the wings you get a heart and lung shot.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

yeah, i look forward to it this year i shot one with a gun a couple years ago but thats the only turkey i have gotten i tried with a bow last year but didn’t get any within range… So i want give it a shot this year again.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

yeah, i look forward to it this year i shot one with a gun a couple years ago but thats the only turkey i have gotten i tried with a bow last year but didn’t get any within range… So i want give it a shot this year again.

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

thanks for the info

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

thanks for the info

nater3
    Webster City, IA

I also am going to try bowhunting turkeys this year. I think I will just try my slick trick heads.
    Nate

nater3
    Webster City, IA

I also am going to try bowhunting turkeys this year. I think I will just try my slick trick heads.
    Nate

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

NEVER BOW HUNTED FOR THEM BUT HAVE SHOT QUITE A FEW AND USE THIS TRICK AND IT HAS WORKED EVERYTIME I NEEDED IT, PLACE YOUR JAKE DECOY WITHIN YOUR SHOOTING RANGE AND SHOOTING ALLEY BUT FACE IT TOWARDS YOU, WHEN A TOM COMES IN TO BOOT THAT JAKE OUT HE WILL STRUT FACE TO FACE WITH THAT DECOY WHICH GIVES YOU SOME ROOM TO DRAW MOVE OR WHAT EVER BECAUSE HE IS FACEING THE JAKE DECOY AND CANNOT SEE YOUR MOVEMENTS, PLUS I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS IS A GOOD SHOT FOR A BOW (NOT SURE IF THAT’S TRUE OR NOT)

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

NEVER BOW HUNTED FOR THEM BUT HAVE SHOT QUITE A FEW AND USE THIS TRICK AND IT HAS WORKED EVERYTIME I NEEDED IT, PLACE YOUR JAKE DECOY WITHIN YOUR SHOOTING RANGE AND SHOOTING ALLEY BUT FACE IT TOWARDS YOU, WHEN A TOM COMES IN TO BOOT THAT JAKE OUT HE WILL STRUT FACE TO FACE WITH THAT DECOY WHICH GIVES YOU SOME ROOM TO DRAW MOVE OR WHAT EVER BECAUSE HE IS FACEING THE JAKE DECOY AND CANNOT SEE YOUR MOVEMENTS, PLUS I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS IS A GOOD SHOT FOR A BOW (NOT SURE IF THAT’S TRUE OR NOT)

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Turkey Shot Placement Pics

Also heard of hitting them in the drum sticks. It’s an absolute blast, be patient and have fun. Will you be using a blind or not?

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Turkey Shot Placement Pics

Also heard of hitting them in the drum sticks. It’s an absolute blast, be patient and have fun. Will you be using a blind or not?

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Correct eye-full…if you can take the birds legs out, they can’t fly! But I would still aim for the heart/lung area for a quicker kill! Hate to see any animals suffer!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Correct eye-full…if you can take the birds legs out, they can’t fly! But I would still aim for the heart/lung area for a quicker kill! Hate to see any animals suffer!

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

Ow Yeah i plan on using my matrix 360 double Bull blind

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

Ow Yeah i plan on using my matrix 360 double Bull blind

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

eye-full thanks for the pics much appreciated

jmj83
    Rochester,MN

eye-full thanks for the pics much appreciated

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Have fun in your DB Cadillac, great looking blind. I’m going commando in a home made ghille suit. This will be my second year bow hunting them and going with out a blind and yes last year I did get to draw back on two (although a blind would be nicer). Had a Tom with a broomstick come in 3 yds. off my left hand. I could feel him spitting and drumming, no blind so couldn’t draw back and he seen something he didn’t like and booked. Later experimented with darker fletching and a jerry rigged ghille hat that broke up my the outline of my shoulders and head and haven’t had any more spooking on me so far. It is a blast with a bow, only way to go Imho.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Have fun in your DB Cadillac, great looking blind. I’m going commando in a home made ghille suit. This will be my second year bow hunting them and going with out a blind and yes last year I did get to draw back on two (although a blind would be nicer). Had a Tom with a broomstick come in 3 yds. off my left hand. I could feel him spitting and drumming, no blind so couldn’t draw back and he seen something he didn’t like and booked. Later experimented with darker fletching and a jerry rigged ghille hat that broke up my the outline of my shoulders and head and haven’t had any more spooking on me so far. It is a blast with a bow, only way to go Imho.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Quote:

That’s what I was thinking, thanks.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.