TUCR Bullwhip

• chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Thinking about getting a TUCR bullwhip.I would like to hear the good and the bad on it.I am sure it will be mostly good,but you never know.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Its my go to rod in my ice arsonal love mine need to catch a few fish on the rod for it to break in the rod tip will get softer call it a short break in period noodle tip with awesome backbone panfishing dream rod

Tim Watson

What length bullwhip did you get?

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I think the thing for me that separates the Bullwhip from your average noodle rod is the length of noodle section of the rod. It’s shorter, and that’s important for a number of reasons.

For years, I’ve been ordering custom noodle rods from a number of sources with anywhere from 1 – 3″es chopped off the tip. Personally, I prefer overall length of my panfish ice rods a touch shorter, such that when fishing outside, your body can shield the wind from making that rod continually quiver and mask bite detection. The Bullwhip’s slightly shorter noodle section aids in that effort as well and is not as prone to continually dancing in blustery conditions. Additionally, with the surge in tungsten and other “heavy” jigs over the past few years, these rods simply handle heavier panfish jigs much better. Instead of bottoming out your avg. noodle rod, for most tungsten and larger jig sizes I fish, this rod flexes only slightly under load, allowing me to detect your avg. strike, as well as “up-hits” while still having control of the jig itself. To me, the trade-off between control and bite-detection helps explain rod weight/stiffness for a number of species.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of applications for noodle rods still. Light biting crappies, micro-jigs, fishing inside a shelter….just a few of the reasons that design will always be around. As for the Bullwhip, I think it has evolved as a tool to aid our more mobile and fast fishing (heavy jigs drop quickly) approach on ice for the better.

Joel

Brennon Nielson

hey joel if I was to pick out one TUCR to target specifically Perch only. what would your recommendation be?

tedroost
    Devils Lake

The quick tip is my favorite perch rod and like using my precision for my jigging raps and rippin raps. For my 1/8 oz and smaller bait buckshots, tinglers, tumblrs, and slenders, and sometimes a #2 jiggin rap QT all the way. I think it is both a great feel and sight rod for the light bites. It does work for 1/4 oz lures as well but I just prefer the precision for that. That seems to be the theme I hear most often for bait weights and what rod to use and I agree.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I talked to John at tucr and he thought the bullwhip was the rod for me.I am thinking about a 32 incher maybe 36.

barrelslime
    Illinois

I have 36 in BW and it is my favorite rod.
    I have to go to my noodle for finicky gills and light biting crappie

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Not sure if I want a split grip or a full handle. Any thoughts on that.By the way thanks for any input guys.When I start an addiction I like to start it out right.

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

Chuck purely a matter of preference there I have 5 tucr’s now and there all splits I personally feel there a good fit for pistol gripping and finessing but again personal preference. grin

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

I just stopped into TUCRs tonight and ordered a Bullwhip. I went in going to order the noodle but was talked into the Bullwhip. Seems to be more versatile. I ordered the 28″ split grip cork handle with a few custom colors. Had a great experience and really look forward to using it this year.

Jeff Schomaker

I really want a TUCR but I have NOOOO clue where I would even begin. Around home we only have big gills and crappies but we are also planning several trips to NE SD for perch and eyes so idk what I want/need…. Haha

tucrs
    NW Metro

Jeff call or email anyone of our staff.

They can help you.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

hey joel if I was to pick out one TUCR to target specifically Perch only. what would your recommendation be?

@brennon – Everyone else beat me to it! The precision in as long a length makes sense for where you’re fishing (outside, in a shelter, etc.). Great rod that’ll do alot of things really well, and handle a variety of baits in the sizes you’ll be fishing for perch.

Joel

Brandon Sibert
    Tomah, WI

John and staff,

My Bullwhip and Precision Noodle showed up today, and these things are beautiful! Today also marks my 5 year anniversary of beating cancer, so being able to open these rods up today was AWESOME. thanks for putting out such an awesome product!

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

SO if I have a precision noodle from TUCR and looking for a rod for heavier applications of small spoons, rippin raps, darters, etc… for either panfish or walleye should I get bullwhip or precision?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Ordered a TUCR Bullwhip 30″ Split Grip today. What reel would you guys recommend to pair it with?

Going to go with the Tica Cetus ss500 unless I hear otherwise…

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Okuma Ceymar C10. Very tough durable reel along with great price point.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I can second Calvin’s suggestion! Great reel, I’m up to 3 of them now.

Dan Baker

I have a Sienna on my Bullwhip, but I would prefer the President.

Justin Radel

I give Clavin’s suggestion a third I own several and absolutely love them

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up going with the Okuma Ceymur C10 over the Tica Cetus, in large part because it was almost $20 cheaper and reviews from you guys plus other research was just as good, if not better.

Jason Guthmiller

I am the only one with a negative comment on the bullwhip so far. I have 3 rods I love for panfish that I used for the last six years and I bought a bullwhip late last season and haven’t been able to bring myself to pick up any of them since. Paired up with a ceyemar c10 the only other rod I use for panfish is a tucr pn when I need to go to really small jigs. I’ll have almost the whole fleet of tucr when the next shipment comes in. Can’t go wrong with tucr.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.