WI trout

• bassthumb
    Madison, WI

Went trout fishing for first time in WI this year on Sat. 3/8 on Black Earth. Went for about 3 hours. It was cold and windy, and the snow really started to blow and come down around the time that I quit at 11. I ended up with 4 browns and 1 rainbow. Nicest was a 16.5″ brown, and others were between 11″ and 15″. Guy with me also caught 2 browns and a rainbow between 9 and 15″. Cold day but nice to be on open water again. All fish caught on small crankbaits.

bassthumb
    Madison, WI

Have been out to Black Earth 2 more times. 3/17 the bite was tough, but did manage three trout for the evening. Nicest was a fat 18″ brown. Other two were around 14″ and 12″. All were caught on small crankbaits at the head of deeper pools. On the evening of 3/23, caught 5 browns. Largest was a nice 16″, and others ran from 11″ to 15″. These were caught on small jigs and plastics. I had started fishing with the small jigs last year with success, and it seems to be working again this year. The trout haven’t been real active yet, but have seen a few rises the last time out. Hopefully will get out again tonight.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.