Milwaukee river salmon

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Just a quick report on the weekend. Went and fished the Milwaukee river as the fall salmon run is in full swing. Made an intelligent move going on Thurs morning so we could fish Thurs and Fri and avoid the weekend crowd. My nephew Adam Paque and I fished the Milwaukee river near Whitefish bay. My first drift I hooked and landed a 30 lb silver Chinook fresh out of the lake. What a hawg!! The chinooks, a few browns and steelhead were more than plentiful below the rock structure/dam we fished. There were times you would be waiting to net a fish and you could have netted a couple other fish that were just swimming by. Because there where so many fish in this area it didnt take any skill to foul hook as many as you wanted to. I taught my nephew how to be patient and just feel for bites as the yarn/Mister Twister Exude eggs we were using drifted in the current. You cant just set the hook everytime you feel your line move or have a bump. We legally hooked at least 2 dozen Chinooks in the two afternoons of fishing. Most were over 20 lbs. I did see a few nice steelheads caught by others also. I had my digital camera in the car but due to rain/snow mix I didnt take it out. I really regret it now as I could’ve shot some great pics. I also had a report from a friend of mine who took 4 muskies from 38 to 43 inches on Sat on the Pike lake chain. All on suckers in water deeper than 20 ft. The weather is supposed to take another major cold turn this week so it may be the end of the fall smallmouth fishing on the bay. Good luck and be safe.
    Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Great report Chris. It’s good to here something on other Wisconsin rivers. I have never tried that salmon fishing but I used to go for browns and steelhead. Yep I think you must have done right by going on a Thursday. I here some friends talk of going and it’s about shoulder to shoulder on the weekends. Keep letting us know the scoop.The smallies are about done up there huh.Oh well I guess winter is coming isn’t it. Do you go out after splake. Might have to get up that way with my otter sled. Steve

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nice report Chris! I’ll have to hitch a ride when you go through next year, sounds like a blast!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.