trout in the jungle

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Wednesday I had the opportunity to fish a section of stream I haven’t fished before. The only hitch is that it was a section through a wooded bottomland. Sometimes I wondered if I was fishing or on an African Safari. I started out throwing a Rapala without much success before switching to a Mepps NO. 1, again no success. Casting was extremely difficult with overhanging branches everywhere as well as trees laying in and out of the water. I switched to a Super Bow Spinner and immediately started catching fish. It seemed that the added weight and the flash of the Super Bow enabled me to catch those fish in the pockets that all the fallen timber presented. It seemed I spent almost as much time flipping my spinner as casting it. I caught around 15 fish ranging in size from around 10 to 15 inches. I would have to say the highlight of the trip though was watching a monster brown pass on my spinner about 5 feet from me. He easily would have went 20 and was perhaps the thickest trout I’ve seen this year. Oh well, I know where he lives! Coming back downstream I tried rapalas with no luck. Has anyone fished conditions like this with jigs or small rubber worms? (I’m fishing a catch and release section,no bait) I’m thinking that flipping jigs or worms might be a more effective technique in these conditions.

fishingty

i have fished a few places like that… and i use mostly panther martins…. but if i am not usen them i am useing worms.. i think that they work the best over anything eles. so i would just try that and see what ur next out come is.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.