Brook Trout Tactics

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

While trout fishing Sunday I was lucky enough to land a brookie. The little 10 incher mauled my number 7 rapala. I was fishing for browns mostly but was wondering if I actually targeted brooks how many I might actually catch. I was fishing a major trout stream without success (very muddy water) until I found a stream feeding it that was clear. I only ventured a little ways up that stream and found browns and the aforementioned brookie. Could anyone advice me on some tactics or lures for brookies? Something tells me throwing rapalas is not the lure of choice for brookies.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Brooks are generally much easier to catch than browns. I don’t flyfish, but have taken many brookies on spinning gear… try to match what they may be feeding on, but I’ve had great success on small spinners and jigs (plastic tails or maribou).

JimW
    SE MN

BigE is correct with going small. However, if you find a larger run or hole in a brook trout stream, by no means abandon larger gear. You might just catch a brookie of a life time!

Brook trout are probably the most aggressive of the three(rainbow brookies and browns! However, probably the most spookie. This mostly in relation to the smaller gin clear waters they inhabit!

Using a stealth approach to fishing brookies is a must. SO, try to always fish against the streams natural flow!

You will find these scrappy fellas hiding in a large variety of hold-outs! They blend well into their envrionment. Often you will walk right by, noticing a darting fish that was just below your next step!

Small rooster tails in the 1/16, are a good start. When throwing lighter spinners, go with lighter line, 2 and 4 pound! Makes for smoother casting while limiting the chance of spook world! Plus, long casts(if possible) are always recommended. I have found, when making long casts into a run or hole, more often than not, the largest(or one of the largest) fish in the hole will smash my bait!!! Give it a try! However, don’t battle a trout(brookie) longer than need be!

These fish need to be treated with respect. They are more delicate. They are, in my opinion painted with the most beautiful scheme of any fresh water fish!! Colors and patterns abound!!!

Let them go after catching them. Remember to dip your hand into the stream before handling trout! This decreases the rub-off of protective coatings! If at all possible, never squeeeeze a trout!!! If it bleeds, it’s on the grill for me!!!

Good luck and enjoy fishing for the most beautiful fresh water fish!!!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Your “little” 10″ Brookie is actually larger than average.

I’ve in the past fished exclusively for brook trout and have had good success using a 1/16 oz. marabou jig with most of the marabou cut off, leave about 3/8″. A good technique for small streams is to sneak (trout are very sensitive to vibration) up on a riprap bend and using a long rod (fly rod?) drop the jig vertically in the flow where it undercuts the riprap.

JimW
    SE MN

Bogsucker,

When are we fishing???

Bogsucker
    SE MN

When I get a Divorce !!! just kidding, but I do not know when.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Thanks for the help, the section I’m going to be fishing is a catch and release section so hopefully there’s more than one brookie in there. Even if it wasn’t a C & R section I don’t think I could ever keep one. They are much to beautiful to sit in a frying pan.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.