Plastics for trout

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Usually early trout season finds me tossing rapalas and rebel wee crawfish. This season I plan on using more soft plastic baits. I’ve had some success before with real small twister tails with a jig head. Have any of you had success with larger plastics? I’m planning on using some crawfish imitations, possibly some superdoos, and the new 4 inch bungee from Berkley.

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

I fish the main branch of the root river quite a lot. Usually from the confluence down. I have used a small jig and a wide assortment of plastics. I prefer brite green, white, black,and some yellows. About 3 to 4 inches long is where I have my best luck. After xmas this year I was fishing for saugers by Whalan and caught two browns approx. 18″ and 21″. They just slammed those jigs. I’ve tried some longer plastics but no trout on those. I don’t usually fish the trout streams anymore in eary spring so I can’t really say how the jigs will work. But the trout should hit them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Didn’t Berkley just come out with a new line of smaller baits designed just for trout and impregnated with scent? I’ll dig around and see if I can’t find a pic or two but when I walked by them in the aisle at Fleetfarm I went…”oh…, should catch trout on those!”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Left to right…”grub, worm, craw, & tube.”

All models are in that 3″ range I believe and should be perfect for your intended application. If you give them a try, let us all know if they work and how well.

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

I fish the whitewater area most of the time..The season is open on certain streaches now..catch and release only…It opens on april 1st,,on all streams for catch and release ony…untill april 13th that is the opener on all steams for catch and eat or whatever you like….Certain steams have different regs…so be sure and know where you are and the regs on that part of the stream.

SWANY……..<*}}}}}}}.{

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

As far as plastics for trout I haven’t really tried them…but with my successes this last year on ringers and super do’s I’m going to give it a shot!…I think if the ringers happen to be to long …I’ll just cut them down till i find the size they want?

I mostly have been fishing the last few years with a 7 1/2 foot fly rod my bro gave me…I put on a super ultra light spinning reel and 4 pound test and then use like 6 ft of his 2 # florocarbon as a leader…I ‘ve been throwing 1/64 th oz..hair type bugs he ties for me…..caught my biggest trout on that set up a nice 22 in brown…no bait!!1…sometimes i tip it with a waxie.

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

James and the rest of you behind the scenes EFN”ERS………Thankyou …Thankyou…Thankyou….Another spot to post my passion of fishing….for years i was a trout geek only……Now a spot to give and learn ….Cudos to all of you!!!!!.

SWANY……..<*}}}}}}}.{

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

James, the crawfish imitation looks like the Riverside Crawbug I’m going to try. I’ve tried the Berkley Micro Crawler last year and have caught trout on it, but many more chubs. Hopefully a bigger worm will still attract trout but not the chubs. Heck, if a 16 inch Brown will smash a size 11 Rapala you wouldn’t think a bigger worm would deter him.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve caught trout on crawlers that could have been confused with garter snakes! I doubt adding an inch or two would eliminate your chances of catching trout. Actually, my experience with trout has been bigger baits means fewer fish… but that was made up in the quality. Those big browns don’t get huge eating gnats ya’ know…LOL

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

Yes you guys are right about bigger baits and less fish…but the ones that do hit are “quality” fish. And sometimes I have thrown the bigger raps to get away from the smaller ones…only to trigger them more…..Throgh the years i’ve found to find the bigger ones thugh you have to go where they are……usually not in the mainstream with the “others”…they stake out there own “little territotrys….and protect them dearly!!!1

yellowlab

I have had fairly good success drifing very small jigs (1/64th) with a small plastic twister tail under a bobber. This is especially effective in very cold clear water conditions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.