Trolling raps

• mattgroff

Plain and simple. What are your favorite raps for trolling walleyes.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Firetiger flickers on the river, perch shadlings on lakes.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Which ever one they are hitting on that day/night. Shad raps, husky’s, jointed, regular #13’s, late in the fall I like #18s. I don’t have too many of the newer rapala styles but I do have alot of different brands that I use pulling leadcore or trolling boards or straight behind the boat. Some days, rapala’s work, some days its a reefrunner, some days its a flicker shad. Crankbaits catch alot of fish…erman

clawman
    Spokane Wa

Not to hijack your thread. If I am trolling a Rap first choice is a #5 Purlpedescent.

mattgroff

Nope its all good. Kinda fun to see what everyone likes.
    Mine is a sr5 and a cabelas reef runner rainbow shiner.
    But the hooks on the cabelas suck ass so I replace them.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Not to hijack your thread. If I am trolling a Rap first choice is a #5 Purlpedescent.

You and I may not agree on boats, but I do find it extremely hard to argue with your choice of lures. This ones a winner! waytogo

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

flicker shads, shad raps, jointed shad raps, all sizes of floating minnow baits in multiple brands, hot n tots, deep thundersticks, rip shads, flicker minnows, and I’m sure a few I’m forgetting. They all have their day. Same with color patterns, they all have their day and I have and run most colors, but blues, black/silver, black gold, and firetiger patterns probably get run the most.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

This is an easy on for me. Megabass Z Crank Balsa.
    Expensive and hard to find, but I have caught more fish on these than any other lure I’ve used, PERIOD. They are a thing of beauty as well. Hand crafted in Japan. Try one. You won’t be sorry.

You troll this one for walleyes? This totally looks like a bass crank. Very interesting. How deep does it run? What color do you like to use?

fishdale

Firetiger flickers on the river

+1 with the blue color coming in a close second.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Flicker shads or smash shads. Think I own about 10 reds to any other color crank.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wharf Rat wrote:</div>
    This is an easy on for me. Megabass Z Crank Balsa.
    Expensive and hard to find, but I have caught more fish on these than any other lure I’ve used, PERIOD. They are a thing of beauty as well. Hand crafted in Japan. Try one. You won’t be sorry.

You troll this one for walleyes? This totally looks like a bass crank. Very interesting. How deep does it run? What color do you like to use?

Sorry, I missed the walleye part of the question. It is a bass lure but I’ve caught walleye with them as well. Crappies and pike hammer them as well. Even caught my first muskie on one! The red crawfish color works well for me, and the ones with chartreuse also work well.
    They dive around 6-8 feet at 2 MPH trolling.
    When casting into weed beds you can float them over the top and jerk them so they dive 1-3 feet, pausing to let them resurface and repeating. Very effective for bass with this technique.

mojogunter

Surprised no one has mentioned deep tail dancers. Very good on LOTW in purpledesent low light. Perch smash shad during day. River I like flicker shads.

Live Target Perch or Salmo Hornets. There are to many to mention, I even have a whole box of flicker shads and smash shads as well. My go to colors are Blue Tiger, Purpledescent, or Rusty Monkey. Perch and Firetiger work well too.

AnotherFisherman

Reviving an old thread.

I am ready for some summer trolling. What are your favorites?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My input is mainly related to the river where I spend ~95% of my time.

For brand and body style, I’ve switched more and more to flicker shads. They seem to come more tuned now than earlier years with quite a few productive colors. Along with flicker shads I will throw on glass shad raps, plain shad raps, and jointed shad raps. I have some hot-n-tots that occasionally hit the water but I’ve never been overly confident in them.

For colors, firetiger is far and away the first choice in my boat (if I haven’t been out in recent days and found some pattern). I will also use purpledescent and purple hot streak, and blue chrome as my “bright” patterns. When the flow is lower and water on the river clears a bit, I run more natural patterns like shad, silver, gold, original perch, etc.

Deleted

#7 Jointed flicker shads – purple – hot pink- perch

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Reviving an old thread.

I am ready for some summer trolling. What are your favorites?

No need to wait til summer. There is some fantastic crankbaits action right now. Grab your favorite crank, slow down to less than a mile per hour and troll away.

catmando
    wis

On the Stcroix one rod always has a 5 shad rap copper crawdad. its a killerrrrrr.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.