Young’s Check Report

• slaktrak

I’ve taken a couple recent trips to Young’s Check and haven’t really caught anything worth taking home for the skillet. I saw countless small crappie being caught and kept by those who like to eat small fish. I saw one 10 lb channel caught but the kid got broke off when he tried to jerk it out of the water. Anybody else been down there?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I was told about a month ago that check was on fire, but haven’t really heard anything lately. I haven’t even been out there myself in quite a while. Usually I’m out there a lot more. Maybe hit it one of these days.

Welcome to IDO…tell your friends!

hankthecrank
    Broken Bow, NE

I hope you don’t mind me asking but where is Young’s check?

walleye4
    On the Water

South of Cozad!

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

Ive been hitting the checks from maxwell to johnson a lot this year. Cant remember exactly when but right around the white bass spawn thats about all we were catching everywhere were white bass and it was good. They were mostly right over the gates in the swirl right up against it close to the top. After the spawn everything just died and for what seems like at least a month now theyve had the water blowing through the canal up until last week. Should get easier at all the checks now that the current isnt as strong and the shad are getting bigger and moving up into them. If any of you are looking for pan sized channel cats though i can say that everytime ive fished sutherlands inlet this last month ive seen people pulling them out of the water within a few minutes of eachother. I couldnt even keep them off the wiper jigs. Might check that out if your desperate for some sort of action

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

Also at the double check south of brady ive seen some remains lately of some bank-side gutted wiper here and there. My guess is they’re getting them off the bottom on worms or minnows a little ways down from the gate.

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

Thanks for the reports! The family and I will be down at Jouhnson the weekend of the 24th. Hopefully we can get some whites for the NEFGA tourney. Also would love to get the kids on some wiper action.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.