10-20-06 canal report

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I headed back out to the canal again on Friday before I had to go to work, thought I better get out there while the weather was still nice. The day didn’t start out all that well-we managed to bury the 4×4 a little bit, wasn’t sure we’d get out. The water is really down in this particular section of the canal, as you can see by the water marks in the pictures, so the ramp was real tricky. Where you regularly unload, you couldn’t very well because as soon as you got the boat in the water, there was a gravel ridge the boat wouldn’t float over. So I went off to one side, and found out it was REAL soft. I rolled the Crestliner off the trailer, and punched it in 4w low, and popped out, so that relieved me. Once we got out there, we started catching fish fairly quickly. A lot of the fish were only 1′ to 5′ down in the water column.

My Dad and I caught about 45 crappies together, I had probably 30 of them. I tried and tried to get Dad to do what I was doing, but he was content trying some different stuff. He was still catching fish though, so that was good. He managed to catch the first fish of the day, and as you can see, it was a real nice one.

My first fish of the day I’m sure wasn’t a crappie. It thumped the jig and stayed down, but then just spit it out after a short while. Really wish I coulda seen that. Dad did well on minnows, but I caught most all of mine on jigs. Once we found the color they wanted, we were in the game. And I’ve never seen this before: a lot of the crappie I caught were right below the surface of the water. If you couldn’t see your jig, then you were fishing too deep. I would just run my jig from side to side real slow, and watch them just come up and tackle it. It sure was a blast doing that. And a lot of the fish I caught doing that were nice ones too. A lot of our fish yesterday were in the 11-12″ range. Mostly on tube jigs, but a few on a roadrunner too. A guy and his son were fishing nearby from the shore and did pretty well dragging in crappie too. We ended the day trolling for about an hour or so, and tried to cover some shallow water up near the shore and get the outside line right on the dropoff. We had a fish on a white shad rap down about 14′ I’d say, but my Dad lost it. My Dad isn’t really what you might call an advanced angler, so it was kinda funny….he pulls the rod out of the holder and RIPS the rod toward the front of the boat about 3 or 4 times. I’m sure he just ripped that SR right out of the fish’ mouth. I told him not to act like he was Bill Dance on TV or something!

As usual, all our fish went back. Hope to make it out again this next week. I just hope the water level comes up a little bit!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Great report Brian! Sounds like a great way to spend some time with your dad!!
    How are these areas you are fishing for wind protection? It looks to me like a great place to be on windy days.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks Ben! Ya, I like to take him out when we have time…he has a real good time. This was the most fish he’d caught in a while, so that was cool. You should see him on Elwood when we get into the wipers…he doesn’t know WHAT to do!

I’ll tell ya, about a week and a half ago when I was out there 2 or 3 days, it was gusting to 40mph both days, with a constant wind of 30mph+. This is a place where there’s always calm water somewhere, and depending on the direction of the wind, it can be a large area of calm water too. The only problem is, some of the best fish-catching areas are always right in the path of the biggest wind. But that’s all right….this Crestliner I got came with a 74lb MinnKota, so I was hovering with that thing and still catching them. It was just more work than I was planning on putting into it! But ya, the canal can be great for windy days, because there isn’t enough open water to really cause larger waves, and you can always go hide and have a chance at catching fish.

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

its not the wind you have to worry about in that first pic, id be more careful of falling bridge jumpers landing in your boat

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Actually, there was more flying gravel this last weekend than I’ve ever seen over there, so I was staying tucked away so I didn’t get hit with any of that crap. I’m surprised I don’t see more activity around that area. You’d think more people would be there.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Went back out yesterday afternoon and fished a little more in the canal with my friend Glenn and Craig, a guy who works with him. I ended up catching only about 20 this time, and the the two of them caught probably 10 between them, so I’d say we caught about 30 all together. Some real nice ones again, but some real dinks this time around too. The techniques were about the same as the previous report above, but the water has really come up, about 2, 2 1/2’or so, and the current was really coming down the canal. The water temp dropped to 47, so the crappie have pulled out of the coves and the shallow stuff, and have moved off into some deeper areas. I could tell this immediately with the locations of where I was catching them. As long as your fishing real slow and find the color they want, you can catch them.

getmeoutdoors
    South central Nebraska

fishhunter – I assume you were at PC on the canal. Do you think the water is up at Gallagher enough to get a boat in? The last I checked (about 3 weeks ago) 2 foot of water more in that lake and I could maybe get the boat in the water. Let me know if you have heard anything about Gallagher. Thanks, Jeff

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hey Jeff,
    If the water is up at PC, then the water is up at Gallagher, as they are on the same check. With the water as high as it was on Tuesday, you would have absolutely no problem getting in at Gallagher. If it’s low like it was last Friday, I would say put in at PC and just drive up to Gallagher. Takes a while longer, but if that’s your destination, it can be done. Anymore, I have no idea what Central is doing with the water….so I hope it’s still up like it was on Tues so you can get in! Let me know how it turns out for ya….

walleye4
    On the Water

Hope it stays up for this weekend! No current would be a bonus! Hope a limit comes quick like last time so I can go troll up some eyes too.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ya man, I really don’t know what to expect day-to-day right now in the canal. I was really kinda surprised to see that much current this time of year. I was hopeful that maybe they were bringing water down to put into Elwood……but I severely doubt that’ll happen again in the next 4-6 months, at least.

walleye4
    On the Water

I guess it really won’t matter cause my brother wants to pull the boat with his MACK truck!

Here is the scenario:

Leave home – 6:30am
    on water – 7:45am
    first fish – 7:50am
    My Limit – 9:30am
    brothers limit – 10:30am
    load boat – 10:40am
    move to Johnson’s and unload – 11:00am
    1st walleye 11:10am
    2 limits of eyes – 1:30pm
    load up for home – 1:40pm
    put fish on ice – 2:15pm
    watch the Huskers kick OSU’s rear – 2:30
    clean fish – 5:00pm
    PRIME RIB SUPPER – 7:00pm

What do you think guys, sound like a good plan!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I hope everything goes as planned for you!!!! That will rock!!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Well well well, look at Mr Optimistic over here!
    The way things have been going over there, it could actually happen! Crappie were slower the other day, but I know you’ll find a way to get em going. I’m anxious to see how you do on Johnson. My boat hasn’t been on that lake in a couple months.

walleye4
    On the Water

Well, things didn’t go quite as planned.

On Saturday, the fishing was pretty decent as we got on fish right away. My brother kinda struggled at 1st cause he has never really crappie fished before. In fact, his first fish was 2 fish as he got a double. We mainly fished crappie all day and ended up bringing home 31 between the 2 of us. Caught a ton of fish but most were on the small side. Did have another crappie that went over 14″ on this trip. We did try some spoons around some bait that had fish all around the school. I had a 6# carp and a drum just smoke my spoon. Couldn’t believe that they were hanging around a school of shad but it was sure nice to feel them hit that Spoon though.

Went back on Sunday for a few hours and only ended up with 8 keepers and probably around 40 fish caught. My nephew met us over there and joined us for a couple hours. Was alot of boats and most of the good spots had already been hit.

I think I am done with the crappie til we get some ice. Might go try the walleye yet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.