treble hook question

• kevinh1570
    New Richmond, Wi

When trolling with big rapalas and a fish inhales the crank what is the best thing to do? Cut the treble and leave it in the fish? Or damage the fish trying to get it out? Just wondering what evryone does?

Thanks kevin! Good to be back!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Kevin, there is no one solution for every scenario. I have a long wire cutter that works great for thinner trebs (under 1/0). Sometimes you can go through the gill plate and squeeze the barb down or cut the hook. Unfortunately, sometimes you just know its a fatal situation. i don’t like to keep big walleyes…but sometimes one of those big pigs has to become part of your bag limit and that’s how it goes

kevinh1570
    New Richmond, Wi

So it is ok to just cut the ring if possible and leave the treble in them? Thanks for the advice!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Personally I wouldn’t think of throwing it back with a treble hook, big one at that. Big fish make good nuggets, and heard the cheeks are good(really need the emoticon).
    Wouldn’t want it to end up in a bald eagle, hawk, otter, seagull, etc.

kevinh1570
    New Richmond, Wi

Good point, but what if u can’t keep the fish??

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

K1570, your point is very understandable. Like being in the abyss of Mille Lacs trolling cranks and getting into an old sow w’eye….I think it is just WRONG to see a fish like this wasted. I’ll keep it. (and I have) and if I get stopped, I just hope the CO has the understanding of the situation and will cut me some slack. (but I’ll say, I’d never want more than one of those or I doubt any CO will cut one slack)
    Now, maybe someone else will chime in, but I have on some cranks used went to a smaller (and Red) treble hook. They’re easier to cut if needed, but I feel they’re also easier to get out with less of a fatal insult to the fish. I also this they are a little harder for the fish to spit. I have also pinched down barbs on cranks to avoid a situation like where slot limits are, so they are easier to remove.
    Good luck. Hope this is some insight you may find useful… )

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Another vote for barbless hooks. It is so much easier to release fish unharmed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.