Transom Repair In MN

• TMF89

I have a 02′ Lund Fisherman that’s looking like it might need a new transom. Just wondering who you guys have used and would recommend, and roughly what the costs involved were. I’m from the Cities, so somewhere relatively close to the metro would be preferred. Thanks for the help.

walley wanna be

Call these guys!

Home

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Anchor Marine
    Shipwreck in Princeton
    Check with Georges in Bethel.

Be sure they order a new composite transom from Lund. That should handle the issue forever.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I went the anchor marine route….Can’t say that I left there feeling all warm and fuzzy. Every time I talked to them the price went up. Apparently that’s cause I have a Crestliner and the cap was welded on the transom (Not sure why that wasn’t noticed when I got the original estimate). The quality of work seems good I just wish the estimate would have been more accurate. Also, I made an extra trip from the South Metro up to there when they said the boat would be done, and it was not. I don’t want to bash them cause the quality seems good and we’ve all had projects go bad.

In hindsight I took it to them instead of doing it myself cause I figured the pros would be able to give me an upfront estimate and I’d know what I was getting into, but that didn’t happen. If I ever have to do it again…I’ll do it myself.

drewbop
    Duluth

So how does one know when it’s time to replace the transom? I feel like mine may be getting close. I have a 1989 16′ Alumacraft and when I tilt the outboard down onto the transom saver on the trailer I can see the transom flex a little…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So how does one know when it’s time to replace the transom? I feel like mine may be getting close. I have a 1989 16′ Alumacraft and when I tilt the outboard down onto the transom saver on the trailer I can see the transom flex a little…

Good indicator.
    Also tip it down and stand on the lower unit and bounce a little bit. Carefull, not to much especially if you are a big guy. If it flexes start thinking about fixing or getting a different boat.

TMF89

So here’s what has me concerned. I’ve heard that the water/wood/hull/paint can cause strange chemical reactions, and I’m wondering if this is part of that. It’s about 2-3″ across, and has sort of a powdery chalky feel, but almost waxy where it meets the paint. I don’t have any room to get behind my boat in the garage and check for motor flex, but I’ll try to pull it out and do that in the next day or two. Thanks guys.

Attachments:
    1. 20180705_173654.jpg

The Pessimist

A friend had to have his transom replaced a few years back. Shipwreck gave him the best quote. The work was done promptly and he is very satisfied with the results.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.