Trailer wiring

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

Looking for some advice I have a number of trailers that live outside year-round I take the necessary precautions like parking on wood blocks so the tires are okay but my biggest problem is wiring. Anybody know of a good high quality set of trailer wires? Seems like the sun just absolutely destroys whatever Menards or tractor supply brand of trailer wires I have. I’m only getting one year out of wires before they start to crumble and fall apart.

Any advice is welcome

brandyman
    West central MN

Put plastic loom or conduit over the wires. Electrical tape every 1.5′ and on ends.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I use extension cords. Each light has a dedicated ground that way too.

MX1825

I use extension cords. Each light has a dedicated ground that way too.

Good idea.
    Companies also make encased 4 wire.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Encased wire is the way to go. I was replacing boat trailer wiring every couple of years. Have not replaced in 5 since going with encased wire on all my trailers.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If the trailer has a channel-steel frame and the wires don’t already run inside the box/channel, that’s the first thing to do is fish the wire inside the channel so it’s protected. Any place the wire passes through the frame, you must install protective grommets or the wire insulation will get damaged by constant vibration.

If the trailers are not box channel construction, then your options are to either add conduit or to go to wire that has a tougher shield.

I have used extension cords once at the request of a friend who found this method on the internet. They are tough, but I found installation to be slow because splicing in marker lights and plugs is a slower process than what I’m used to with bare wires. I didn’t get to see how long the extension cords lasted as he sold the boat 3-4 years later.

However you do it, run wires where they receive minimal sun exposure, use waterproof heat-shrink marine splices/connectors, and use wire loom wherever the wire comes out and is exposed and you’re wire will last a lot longer.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I also have resorted to wiring with an extension cord. A 50′ should do a 12′ trailer easily. Some have been over 10 years as of now… waytogo

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Thanks everyone. I had considered encased 4 wire but I have an extension cord in the “never use it” pile that I’ll use for this sled trailer.

The sun exposure at the plug is almost certainly my downfall. That’s typically where I find the damage. Looks like I’ll have to buy some wire loom to block out UV damage there as well. Thankfully my boat is the best one, never having had an issue going on 6 years now. I assume lund is using some higher quality wire with a better UV package in the vinyl

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.