Toyota Tacoma?

• buschman
    Pool 2

Good morning happy people!

I have to get out of my old pickup and looking for something. Does anyone have experience with these Tacoma’s? I am putting on a lot more miles these days and do not mind getting into a smaller truck. However I will still be pulling a 17.5 aluminum boat around. Not terribly far but will be pulling it often.

I am just looking at pros/cons to a truck like this one here. I am targeting a 2019-2022 model with a V6 if I go this route.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Check out a ridgeline to compare as well. Cant go wrong with a tacoma though.

ekruger01

Tacomas are great, should do everything your gonna ask of it. My 4runner used to get high 14’s pulling my 16.5 foot alumacraft.

picklerick
    Central WI

I pulled a Lowe FS165 with a 90hp Merc with an ’06 Tacoma for years. You should be good.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I had an 08 that I occasionally pulled an 18′ glass boat with and had no problems. I believe it had a 6500lb towing capacity

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

You’ll be fine with that V6 Tacoma. I used to have a ’96 T100, towed a 18.5′ glass boat for 2 years and then a 17.5′ sylvan aluminum for 10 years. No problems besides the gas mileage lol.

CaptainMusky

Yeah gas mileage isnt a concern when towing for sure because it takes a beating for sure, but we should all expect that. I towed my 19 foot boat back from Canada and set the cruise at 74 mph, rpms at 1800 and got 14 mpg. I passed a few porsches too. But, I have a 2022 Sierra with a 6.2 LOL

CBMN
    North Metro

Joe, No first hand experience with the Taco but my dad has a similar Nissan Frontier and I think you will be fine with power for your local trips and even your fall trips up North… Gas mileage while pulling will not be that great with that rig towing or not as the taco and Frontier have never really gotten great gas mileage.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve never heard of a Tacoma owner who had any intention of doing anything buy buying another one. Sure never met one who was going back to GM or Ford to get better quality.

Toyota, it seems to me, has a long history of having this conversation with owners:

Toyota: We have built the most reliable pickup/SUV on the planet. Enjoy.

Customers: It’s awesome. But we wish it got better gas mileage, maybe?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’ve never heard of a Tacoma owner who had any intention of doing anything buy buying another one. Sure never met one who was going back to GM or Ford to get better quality.

Toyota, it seems to me, has a long history of having this conversation with owners:

Customers: It’s awesome. But we wish it got better gas mileage, maybe?

You can add

Customer: I wish it had more gadgets and do-dads

Toyota: we have built the most reliable pickup/SUV on the planet. Enjoy.

Some enjoy and some regret waytogo

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Cons have been explained already. Like everyone said they are as reliable as they come.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Tacomas are a good truck but the damn seat is lower than some others.It seems like your sitting on the cab floor.

jwellsy

I’ve been hearing good things about the gas mileage & towing of new eco engine in the Tundra’s.

FinnyDinDin

Man this site is frustrating. Anytime it makes you prove you aren’t a robot your post gets deleted. We’ll try this again.

FinnyDinDin

You can add

Customer: I wish it had more gadgets and do-dads

Toyota: we have built the most reliable pickup/SUV on the planet. Enjoy.

Some enjoy and some regret waytogo
    [/quote]

Very true for a lot of years but have you been in their new tundras? Toyota really upped their game with bells and whistles with their last revamp. I just got a 2023 tundra and it has tons of dodads and gadgets and is honestly way more than I need. It also has a huge screen.

Buschman you really can’t go wrong with Toyota trucks. I just got rid of an 03 Tacoma and 07 tundra and got a new tundra. Those two trucks took a beating due to my outdoor hobbies and never had anything other than basic regular maintenance throughout 100’s of thousands of miles. I plan to get a Tacoma within the next few years and keep the tundra. Probably run those two for 15-20 years and repeat.

My buddy has a Tacoma v6 that is about 5 years old. He tows an 18 foot aluminum boat all over the place with no issue. A Tacoma might struggle with an 18+ glass boat but your boat will be fine.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Drove my 1999 SR5 till I bought my 2010 TRD off Road which I drove till I bought my 2019 TRD Pro.
    Pulls my heavy 1675 Impact with a full weeks camping load and 3 people just fine.
    A few downshifts to 5th on the long uphill drags to Voyageurs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve been hearing good things about the gas mileage & towing of new eco engine in the Tundra’s.

Yes but those are having a lot of kinks so far. But that’s suspected on a new motor.
    I wish I could find a older taco but man they are not cheap. Would make for a great ice rig

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Very true for a lot of years but have you been in their new tundras? Toyota really upped their game with bells and whistles with their last revamp. I just got a 2023 tundra and it has tons of dodads and gadgets and is honestly way more than I need. It also has a huge screen.

Buschman you really can’t go wrong with Toyota trucks. I just got rid of an 03 Tacoma and 07 tundra and got a new tundra. Those two trucks took a beating due to my outdoor hobbies and never had anything other than basic regular maintenance throughout 100’s of thousands of miles. I plan to get a Tacoma within the next few years and keep the tundra. Probably run those two for 15-20 years and repeat.

My buddy has a Tacoma v6 that is about 5 years old. He tows an 18 foot aluminum boat all over the place with no issue. A Tacoma might struggle with an 18+ glass boat but your boat will be fine.

Yes I actually bought my 21 tundra ahead of schedule because the new motors were taking over. I wanted the tried and true V8. My truck is boring there is no doubt and I believe you when you say the new models are much nicer inside

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes I actually bought my 21 tundra ahead of schedule because the new motors were taking over. I wanted the tried and true V8. My truck is boring there is no doubt and I believe you when you say the new models are much nicer inside
    [/quote]

Boring is good. Personally I don’t like bells and whistles. Give me rubber floors and power windows and locks and I’m golden. The other things are what end up being issues down the road. Cloth seats with heavy duty seat covers in opinion is better then leather. I like work truck models basically. Saves you 25k as well.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Some friends and I have weighed several of the boats we have owned over the years and fully rigged there is very little difference in the weight of glass and aluminum boats now. 20 years ago the glass boats were definitely heavier but not so much now.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Yes but those are having a lot of kinks so far. But that’s suspected on a new motor.

I was going to pull the trigger on a new Tundra soon because of the dependability until I heard of the new turbo engine. I’ll wait a little to see what happens.

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jwellsy wrote:</div>

The hybrid v6 or the standard v6 turbo?

What kinks are you hearing of?

I was leery about buying their v6 turbo. Would have bought a v8 if they offered one. I did a bunch of searching before buying mine and could not find any info on them having issues with their new motor. I bought the truck from a salesman I trust. I have a very good friend that is a salesman (not Toyota) and former mechanic and is very in tune with the motors on the all the makes and models and how they perform. Neither of them were aware of any problems. I rolled the dice and figured I’d just sell and buy something else if I I start hearing about problems so I am interested to know what you are hearing.

I don’t consider the gas mileage very good on their v6 turbo. They tow just fine. Can hardly tell my 18 foot glass boat is back there.

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>

Some friends and I have weighed several of the boats we have owned over the years and fully rigged there is very little difference in the weight of glass and aluminum boats now. 20 years ago the glass boats were definitely heavier but not so much now.

I have never weighed any or looked up the specs but I have towed lots of glass and aluminum boats in the 17-20 foot range and the glass sure feel a hell of a lot heavier than aluminum.

tim hurley

Glass is the way to go esp. if you are on big water a lot. Kinda wish I had bought a Tacoma now too.

CaptainMusky

THere were some early issues with the new turbo engine, but I believe they have all been addressed already. It was related to the turbo wastegate causing the motor to go into limp mode or flashing lights and they determined it was the supplier didnt build them to spec. I just cant get over them sounding like a golf cart.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

the glass sure feel a hell of a lot heavier than aluminum.

That’s because it is. The specs indicate that it is.

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>
    the glass sure feel a hell of a lot heavier than aluminum.

That’s because it is. The specs indicate that it is.

Tell that to Pat.

FinnyDinDin

THere were some early issues with the new turbo engine, but I believe they have all been addressed already. It was related to the turbo wastegate causing the motor to go into limp mode or flashing lights and they determined it was the supplier didnt build them to spec. I just cant get over them sounding like a golf cart.

Go to know. Mine was built this summer so should be good to go.

Bearcat if you are aware of any known issues let us know.

They definitely don’t sound like a big mean truck but so far, I am very happy with the performance.

10klakes

I think the biggest complaint of older Tacoma’s is being sluggish, seat so close to the floor, and smallest crew cab of all the mid size trucks. Maybe the new turbo engines fixed the sluggishness. They are sure reliable and hold their value though.

John Timm

I never heard complaints about Tacoma’s being sluggish? For sure not the tundra as the older models had 381 hp!? Maybe a 4 cylinder Tacoma?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.