Today's project

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

How are the lumberjacks doing ??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How are the lumberjacks doing ??

We’re all doing great! On the road to Lake of the woods to see if we can get on a walleye bite. We ended up with just short of 7000 board feet of rough lumber!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

WOAH !!!
    Great Job !!!
    Good Luck on LOTW !!!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

WTG James! waytogo Good luck on LOTW you lucky dogs!!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Does he have a planer too?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

WTG James! waytogo Good luck on LOTW you lucky dogs!!!

Pretty decent first half day. Caught fish in 19-21′ on the lake on jigging raps, jig and plastic, jig and minnow. No big fish. Lots of eaters. Nummy!

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201018_005813656.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

You JUST HAD to rub it in with the fried fish pictures didn’t ya. Man that looks yummy.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

James,
    I gotta ask, where did your FIL get all that white pine in Esko??? That is (was) one heckofa pile of logs!!
    I was sitting in the stands at Esko stadium Thursday afternoon about the time you would have been finishing up the last couple hours of your day. The snow flurries were not welcome for Senior day at the field shock
    Glad LOTW is treating you guys right!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I gotta ask, where did your FIL get all that white pine in Esko??? That is (was) one heckofa pile of logs!!

His property is loaded with mature white. His family has owned the property since 1907 so it has never been commercially logged.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

That’s awesome you are able to reclaim all that downed wood from last years storm. I was lucky to not lose any of my big white/red pines, just a half dozen big poppies.
    Those are now cut/split/stacked for fire pit wood for the next few years! grin
    Go Eskomos, SISU!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You JUST HAD to rub it in with the fried fish pictures didn’t ya. Man that looks yummy.

That was a good meal!

On Sunday the forecast was for strong winds out of the west so we scrapped the idea to fish around Pine Island as we did on Saturday. We launched out of Warroad and planned to target some rocky areas to see if we could find some nicer fish and properly thank PJ and Konner for their help with the sawmill.

Water temps in the river at Warroad were 37 degrees when we launched early am on Sunday. Main lake temps were 45. Winds were stiff out of the west and temps were well below freezing making for a very cold stint out on the lake.

We did scrounge up some fish including this fatty that was up in the rocks hunting eelpout. Over the years I’ve caught big pike, muskie, lake trout and now walleye that have put eelpout on the menu!

We pulled the plug mid afternoon once the winds started to pick up and the boat was icing up significantly making keeping our footing pretty difficult in the rough conditions.

Thanks for all the help PJ and Konner!

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201018_164026617.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Last pic from me on this thread… here’s a pic of PJ with a first for my boat from the south shore open water. I’ve caught countless big crappie on LOTW up in the islands but never this far south. It was a welcome surprise that was a nice compliment to the giganto rockbass I caught a few minutes later. doah I guess when the shiners run ALL the predator species take advantage!

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201017_191318646.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thats a nice fish. applause

Deuces

We did scrounge up some fish including this fatty that was up in the rocks hunting eelpout.

All the overs on leech I cut up couple weeks ago also had pout in their stomaches. Interesting.

Cool pic.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Good work! That’s a heck of a job! If you ever need a hand with stuff like that, let us know! I’m sure a couple of us would be interested in lending a hand!

buschman
    Pool 2

James, no photos of the legend himself ?? Guess I would rather see Herb next to a big elk than running a wood mill.. If you end up with too many logs up there let me know. I know how to turn them into dust also. haha.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.