Today's project

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We’ve got about one hundred 8 to 12-ft sections of white pine and a portable sawmill at the father-in-law’s today.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201015_133819089.jpg

munchy
    NULL

Awesome! What are we building?!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Awesome! What are we building?!

Right now there are no plans to build anything. This is my father-in-law’s response to having to go to the lumber yard to buy some 2x6s this summer. He’s owned his own sawmill in the past so hasn’t bought lumber in years. He was offended by the prices so he’s vowed to have lumber on hand to make sure that never happens again.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

We’ve got about one hundred 8 to 12-ft sections of white pine and a portable sawmill at the father-in-law’s today.

James,
    Good thing your FIL has a fine upstanding SIL to carry, stack and sticker. grin You will be ready for a break by days end. Keep your fingers away from that blade.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James,
    Good thing your FIL has a fine upstanding SIL to carry, stack and sticker. grin You will be ready for a break by days end. Keep your fingers away from that blade.

Son-in-law brought help too. PJ said he wanted to go fishing this weekend. Told him we had some chores to do first.

Attachments:
    1. 16027700850797501549169494837047.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I’d volunteer to help just for the smell alone.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I like that picture and the setting. Love the piny woods. Looks like up north.

munchy
    NULL

So you’re saying you want to sniff James? shock

rotflol

munchy
    NULL

He was offended by the prices

Oh I hear ya on that! I built a 600sqft deck with all 2x12s this summer. Just the treated lumber was around $5k. You don’t even want to ask about the PVC decking and aluminum railing. doah

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

So you’re saying you want to sniff James? shock

rotflol

LMAO! rotflol rotflol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

We are just finished up a big renovation of our lower level and I can attest to the insane price of wood currently. We bought our lumber just before the prices skyrocketed.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

We always had a shed on the farm full of home sawn lumber…..unfortunately we had to use oak as the pigs would destroy anything else…had to drill every hole it was so hard.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

So what is the stronger smell? The fresh cut pine or James fish hands.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I like that picture and the setting. Love the piny woods. Looks like up north.

Just south of Duluth. Beautiful area for sure!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s the fruits of our labor.

A couple hundred 8-10 foot 2 x 4. About the same number of 10 – 12 foot 2 x 6 and 2 x 8. And a bunch of 1×6 I didn’t care to count. We got about 60% of the pile done today. The plan is to finish the rest off mid afternoon then thank PJ for his help by going fishing for the weekend.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201015_223139738.jpg

Eric G
    Eagle River,WI

you mean you have a life besides fishing? gasp at the thought whistling

Musky Ed

Had a Woodmizer for about 6 years when I first retired. Did alot of woodworking at the time, and wanted it for some part time income also. The income part went right out the window right away, was doable, but I enjoyed being retired too much. It was fun though, and rewarding, but the amount of friends that would show up and expect me to give them free wood and or free sawing got old fast. When sawing up wood, they were nowhere to be found to help, but once wood was all sawn and stickered, they conveniently not only had time to stop over and want free wood, but they always seemed to want the wood in the middle of a stack. Sold that saw after about 6 years, but still miss it at times. It was a very rewarding pass time.

Iowaboy1

Beautiful !!
    For the life of me I couldn’t spot the bottle of Scotch??
    For medicinal purpose of course after a labor intensive day.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Beautiful !!
    For the life of me I couldn’t spot the bottle of Scotch??
    For medicinal purpose of course after a labor intensive day.

I saved the adult beverages for once we got the saw turned off and the cleanup done. I do plan to spend some time relaxing around the fireplace tonight with a glass of monkey shoulder on ice.

Iowaboy1

Thanks for the memories that were brought back
    James,my grandfather ran a sawmill that cut every board and fence post
    Around the area many years ago.
    We cut wood with a buzzsaw with a 40 inch blade for years, nothing like that sound on a calm cold winter day.
    Hope you can pass that on to your younger generation.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I saved the adult beverages for once we got the saw turned off and the cleanup done. I do plan to spend some time relaxing around the fireplace tonight with a glass of monkey shoulder on ice.

Certainly that defines “drinking responsibly”… applause

Since this thread was “lumberjack” related, thought I could relate…sort of?

A somewhat fat old man (me) unloaded a pick up truck full of firewood and toted it up a flight of stairs and stacked it outside the door of my homestead nest.

I know the comparison is small, almost laughable but the older one becomes the more you find what was once no big deal can become a miracle. yay

I don’t know what a glass of “monkey shoulder” is, but now that I’m safe inside…the fire will be lit as the IPA is consumed like a “real” lumberjack. lol

Attachments:
    1. 20171124_173643.jpg

2. 20201015_182919.jpg

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Not to hi jack the thread here… But the “green box” next to the stack of firewood… do you still use that? It seems to be out and handy.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

James, I’m envisioning a lot of waste. Does that just become firewood?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Not to hi jack the thread here… But the “green box” next to the stack of firewood… do you still use that? It seems to be out and handy.

Yes, that’s what us old fat men still use. laugh

Sharp eye of you to notice that though, if you’d like to have it it’s all yours…free of cost. Seriously, PM me if interested.

It’s not functional anymore best I know, would be display/mancave collectible.

I’m posting another pic since that isn’t available in a PM.

Sorry James for this sideshow, resume the lumberjack updates now that this is out of the way.

Attachments:
    1. 20201015_201233.jpg

Snap

Looks like a lot of old-fashioned work when work use to be fun.

James, have you ever tried to do an all-in cost analysis to see what those board feet cost to produce? I know it’s probably not all about the money but i’m curious if it makes sense economics-wise.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, I’m envisioning a lot of waste. Does that just become firewood?

Campfire wood and sauna wood. And yes, there’s a LOT of waste.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Looks like a lot of old-fashioned work when work use to be fun.

James, have you ever tried to do an all-in cost analysis to see what those board feet cost to produce? I know it’s probably not all about the money but i’m curious if it makes sense economics-wise.

I haven’t but my FIL figured it out yesterday and he came to $1.60 for each 8′ – 2X4, including costs for the sawyer. This does not count his or my labor. Since I essentially work for an extra strip of bacon at breakfast I’d say I’m cheap.

We’ve become very efficient dropping, limbing and sectioning a big white pine. We can do two trees per day, including cleanup. Each tree yields 3-4 good saw logs with the rest used to heat the house. The FILs property experienced a severe blow down event last year in November and we’ve been hard at cleanup ever since.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That fresh cut pine smell is awesome. We refer to it as lumberjack cologne. Love it!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.