To Diesel or not to Diesel?

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I had a 05 duramax drove new off the lot in 05, sold it in 2011 with 188k and bought a Eco-Boost, drove that for 3 years sold at 88k and bought 08 duramax fully deleted with 91k on it 3 years ago and now I am about to hit 200k. I just did a wheel bearing and rear brakes on the duramax. Other than fuel filters and oil changes thats the only thing I have had to do (knock on wood) so far. I am thinking about going to a new F350 6.7 diesel, just for the Ford Cab, the duramax has never let me down.
    I have really liked my 08 duramax the mileage is great loaded or unloaded. Power is there when you need it. Why do I run a diesel….I put a lot of miles on almost 30k a year and I don’t know if I can trust gassers past 100k, diesel no problem. In fact unless something changes in the future I plan on running this 08 for a long time.

Attachments:
    1. plastidip1.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Woody nailed it.

Nick – I know a few people with the Dodge eco diesel and they love em. Great mileage. Pull mid size trailers ok.

How many miles do they have on there Eco Diesel’s? I started looking at them tell I looked at reviews online about major motor problems around 70k. Hopefully they have figured out there issues by now.

They trade in at 100k with no issues.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Got home today and noticed a nice bolt in a tire wissing air, pretty common for construction sites but maybe a sign….

Again, great info here I’m gonna think about. I do like having the “enclosed” aspect of the Tahoe. Fits my EVO1 perfect for winter, never take it out actually knowing all the ice stuff is ready and secure. Maybe a 6.0 in a suburban, maybe the right deal on a diesel, not sure.

wallster
    Austin, MN

I have an 05 Duramax. 230,000, still going strong. I don’t think I can go back to a gas vehicle. I love having power to pull and pass day dreamers on the roads. Simple maintenance goes a long way with the diesels. I know of a 02 duramax with 138,000 miles for sale. Its in great shape too. If your pulling as much as you are, you want diesel.
    Wallster ><((((>

CaptainMusky

Maybe a 6.0 in a suburban, maybe the right deal on a diesel, not sure.

IDK if youre going to find that. I don’t think they’ve offered a 6.0 in a few years.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>
    Maybe a 6.0 in a suburban, maybe the right deal on a diesel, not sure.

IDK if youre going to find that. I don’t think they’ve offered a 6.0 in a few years.

Just read they ended in ’13ish? Either way I don’t have the spirit to buy a new vehicle, mainly on principle. Havent accrued enough equity in my lifetime in the truck category, and refuse to have what should be a mortgage payment for a vehicle. Boat maybe, but not truck devil

It’ll be used, $20-30k range. Doing some simple math, which could be wrong but at 20k miles per year the 6.0 will cost $70 more in gas a month to the 5.3 That’s easily managed but at this point I just take miles for Uncle Sam. Diesel may be spendier but at that point it might be justified with the writeoff potential for the biz. Will have to call the accountant tomorrow, see how that works.

How a gas truck with 100k miles can still fetch well over $20k is beyond me. Maddening.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well I know that you are not looking for new but (I believe that in following suit with the other big 2) Chevy/GMC are comming out with a diesel in the 1500 series truck. They already have one, a 4 cyl, in the Colorado.

What is not known is wether it will be a 4, 6 or an 8cyl. Late in 2018 to be labeled as a 2019 as a 1500 series Silverado. SO in 2020 I may be trading down my Dirty Max 2012 if it is going to have a 6 or an 8 in it. I don’t think I would be interested in a 4 cyl deisel in a 1/2 ton truck.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Saw a duramax with a stack in the back the other day. The rear window was completely plastered with soot. Don’t know how that could be good. I pondered getting a diesel but went with another 5.3 chevy.

I find it funny when I see all these young kids driving around in jacked up diesels that don’t tow a damn thing. Must be the cool factor.

CaptainMusky

I find it funny when I see all these young kids driving around in jacked up diesels that don’t tow a damn thing. Must be the cool factor.

Yeah, the kids like to “roll the coal” with the older diesels. The big pipes coming up through the bed of the truck a today’s version of the card in the bicycle spokes.
    The thing with diesels is you can get some big power out of the older ones without too much effort. The newer ones you are hamstrung by all the EPA crap.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

IMO you don’t do enough miles to justify the expense of a diesel. I have a Dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins. The motor has been flawless. The rest of the truck? It’s a Dodge. For me it works. I drive 60,000 to 70,000 miles a year and often pull a large trailer with the whole set-up (truck, trailer,equipment) weighing up to 20,000 pounds.
    Buy yourself something like a Suburban to be able to haul the family and your work trailer. Very few guys really need the power of a diesel. Be sure to get a bigger gas motor and you will be good to go. Remember, these high mileage trucks aren’t made to pull big loads daily. They are made to get good enough mileage to allow guys to buy a truck to haul a few things a few times a year.

Todays vehicles are just getting broke in at 100,000 miles, don’t let that number scare you if the truck has been maintained. Get out into the outer areas and buy a truck with higher highway miles.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Found gmc has a 6.2 in their Yukon xl

brentbullets

You will like driving that, I love driving my wife’s but I don’t pull with it, for that I have a 13 duramax.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Yukon/Tahoe/suburban one of the most common vehicles to hit 200k miles. good v8s in them.

CaptainMusky

I had a 2007 Yukon Denali which has the 6.2 liter. That engine pulled my boat and snowmobile trailer like it wasn’t even there.
    I wouldn’t necessarily consider it a “heavy duty” engine however like the 6.0.
    It is an absolute riot to drive though.

Aaron Kalberer

Those 6.2s are no joke, my step dad has one and it pulls like there is no tomorrow! Very smooth and quiet ride. It is also paired with an 8 speed trans that improves the mileage a bit as well.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I differ on the Ford 6.0. You can actually find a decent low mileage truck for a great price because people are scared of owning them. As long as you do your homework and know what you are getting into with a 6.0 you can have a great truck without breaking the bank. You will need to get a monitor on it so you can monitor the trucks vitals closely. If you spend the money to get it deleted and set up to pull you will be fine.

If you buy one with an already clogged oil cooler or blown EGR cooler you will pay the price. If you READ and do your homework you wont end up getting a POS. I have had mine for 3 years and I love the truck. Plenty of power and the price was right.

Front ends on big trucks seem to go out more often. If you like to do things your self it will not cost that much.

Oil changes are $120 if I do them myself using Rotella T6 full synthetic. Easier to change than my wife’s Yukon. I don’t run mine more than 6k on the Oil changes due to the high pressure oil system tending to shear the oil.

Good luck!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I get a kick out of the kids that put on the 10 or 12″ exhaust tip. It does no good and looks like a pair of trick nuts from where I’m sitting. 4 or 5″ cat back exhaust is a nice upgrade for the 6.0 but a tip is not not cat back 4 or 5″ exhaust )

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Read all post with interest but didn’t see a single post on Tundra’s.
    Whats the word with them? I know the 5.7 doesn’t get that great of gas mileage but it can pass on the highway with ease while pulling good size fiberglass rigs.
    Brother has a tundra with a diesel engine and he loves it. He’s only owned it for about 1-1/2yrs though so no history there yet.

Musky Ed

I had been a diehard Chevy truck user for over 35 years. Also had 3 Chevy Duraxaxes (2004, 2006,2009) during those years for pulling my 5th wheels that I had then. Fantastic trucks, Diesels. After getting a larger 20′ boat with a kicker, and towing it with my last chevy, 2014 5.3 gasser, I had had enough of doing that. Yes they are rated to tow it, but it was not a pleasant towing experience. Was thinking of going back to a diesel, but decided to look at the new Ford 3.5 ECO, as I had herd that they had really increased the power, and torque for 2017. They also came with a 10 speed tranny. Am I glad I did. The towing power is unbelievable. Does not have to be reved up to tow, and very seldom downshifts. Sometimes I swear that I am towing with a diesel. Better fuel millage non towing than the Chevy got( Freeway chevy 20mpg, Ford 21-22mpg), Towing with the Ford, 1/2-1mpg better than the Chevy. The low end towing power is hard to believe till you experience it, also the Ford is much quieter than any of my Chevy’s have ever been. You owe it to yourself to try one, as you really can have a gas truck that tows almost as well as a diesel, and for quite a bit less money. In fact when I bought my Ford, I got a better deal than the GMC dealer offered me for a new comparable GMC. I never thought I would say this, but GM has a lot of catching up to do with their gas trucks.

404 ERROR
    MN

I never thought I would say this, but GM has a lot of catching up to do with their gas trucks.

I have the same feeling. I have always been a Chevy fan as all of my previous vehicles were great. When I was looking for a new truck, my requirement was gas, crew cab and 6.5′ box. At the time, Chevy did not offer them in 1/2 ton trucks, so Ford I went. Picked up an 11′ 5.0 F-150 Crew 6.5′ box and I was hooked. Pulls everything I put behind it with ease while being quieter and offering a much smoother ride. However, if I was actually in need of a diesel, it would be a Chevy…Yeah, they stuff a Cummins engine in a Dodge, but it’s still a Dodge…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have a F-350 with the 6.0 Power Stroke also. It has 377,000 miles on it. I bought it with 28,000 miles on it. It doesn’t have the power of my 7.3 Power Stroke but it does OK.

My 3 diesels have 178,000, 377,000 & 380,000 miles on them. All running and all doing the job I bought them for.

David Blais

Get the denali with the 6.2. Now that’s a hell of a motor!

John Timm

One thing about the Chevy 6.2 is that your supposed to run premium gas in it. Not cheap…..

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

One thing about the Chevy 6.2 is that your supposed to run premium gas in it. Not cheap…..

That’s really good to know waytogo

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Concering the nessisity to run premium gas, jest verify it .
    I’m just thinking out loud here,

John Timm

Friend of mines son just traded his 6.2 for a diesel. Said the engine would “tick” without premium gas, and mileage will also suffer.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

“If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine
    (VIN Code J), use premium
    unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM
    specification D4814 with a posted
    octane rating of 91 or higher.
    Regular unleaded gasoline rated at
    87 octane or higher can be used,
    but acceleration and fuel economy
    will be reduced, and an audible
    knocking noise may be heard. If this
    occurs, use a gasoline rated at
    91 octane or higher as soon as
    possible. Otherwise, the engine
    could be damaged.”

Apparently this was GM wording.

Think diesel has been ruled out. Simply don’t have the weight towing that would justify the cost. Really feel solid on decision. A 6.0 seems to be the ticket, but alot of the 6.2s in the Denali are floating around too. Don’t like the layout of the Denali but who knows. My bank has some special financing popping off in a week so gonna keep looking for now then pull the trigger when ready.

Thanks again. Certainly anymore info much appreciated!! bow

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you wait until after Irma there will be a bunch more vehicles on the market. Between Harvey & Irma might be 700,000 or more available. Instead of crushing the water logged vehicles the insurance companies will allow the slim balls of the world to buy them and sell them on the unsuspecting public. God bless the American entrepreneurs!! smirk

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.