Time for a new bow.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Been waiting on the 24 release from all the big dogs in the game. Mathews is the only one not out.
    Any one buying something new ? I’m hoping some one local will trade in last year’s vtm for a new hoyt and I’ll be able to jump on it. I really like both the 31 and 34. And I like to save a few bucks with last year’s model.

isu22andy

Archery talk classifieds has great deals on used bows . Save couple hundred dollars by a year or two old one !

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Archery talk classifieds has great deals on used bows . Save couple hundred dollars by a year or two old one !

That’s my goal. Find some one with last year’s vtm. I’ll have to look there.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

If you can’t find a used Hoyt VTM, Archery Country in Rogers has a few new ones left for sale. I did try the new Hoyt RX8 out today when I was there. It was so smooth in the draw cycle and the back wall was nice and solid. it was very quiet when shooting it too. I plan to buy one in the spring (need to do a family room floor replacement first). Just picked up the Mathew Image. This will be my new dedicated turkey bow. My current Mathew VXR28 is my deer bow but will become my backup bow once I get the Hoyt RX8. Also looking at either a 33-inch Mathew phase 4 or seeing what the new Mathews will be like. this would be set up as a 3D bow.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That phase 4 is a a great bow. That hoyt alpha looks awesome as well. I watched hoyt videos all night. Just dreaming

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you can’t find a used Hoyt VTM, Archery Country in Rogers has a few new ones left for sale. I did try the new Hoyt RX8 out today when I was there. It was so smooth in the draw cycle and the back wall was nice and solid. it was very quiet when shooting it too. I plan to buy one in the spring (need to do a family room floor replacement first). Just picked up the Mathew Image. This will be my new dedicated turkey bow. My current Mathew VXR28 is my deer bow but will become my backup bow once I get the Hoyt RX8. Also looking at either a 33-inch Mathew phase 4 or seeing what the new Mathews will be like. this would be set up as a 3D bow.

Props on embracing the IDO motto, “If Some is good, more is better!” But I am curious why you want a different bow for deer, turkey and 3D shooting?

Ben K.

No new bow for me this year – will be rolling with my 2yo RX7 for a while. I’m thinking my winter “investment” will be trying out some new arrows. Currently shooting FMJs. Love the weight but want to try out Axis because they don’t bend.

Justin riegel

I need a new bow as well for next year. I was going to go up to the archery shop and try out an Elite as Archery Talk has some good deals on those.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>monticatgeek wrote:</div>

Props on embracing the IDO motto, “If Some is good, more is better!” But I am curious why you want a different bow for deer, turkey and 3D shooting?

I want the different bows, so I don’t have to re sight and retune every time I change set ups. My VXR is set up at 60 lbs. I shoot 400 spine Black Eagle X impacts with 100 grain heads through it. these weigh 357 grains total and are moving out of the bow at 292 FPS. I set the Image up at 50lbs and out of this I am shooting a 400 spine Black Eagle Carnivore arrow with an 85-grain head. this arrow weights 347 Grains and is moving at 257 FPS. tried a 500 spine X Impact with it first but the bow didn’t like it, so I upped to a 400 spine. As for a 3D bow, I am looking at using the Black Eagle PS23 arrows, but I haven’t run numbers yet to get a total arrow weight and don’t know speed yet for based on the arrow build but it will be set up at 60 lbs draw weight when I do get it. As for the RX8 I will just use the same arrows I use with the VXR28 as long as the speed stay up there and they tune correctly, if not I will run numbers and try to come up with the best arrow build to get the most speed and best performance out of it.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I’m partial to Mathews. I think their new bow comes out on the 14th.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

I’m partial to Mathews. I think their new bow comes out on the 14th.

Yes, it is on the 14th. Mathews has dropped like three teasers tonight. the name of the new bow for this year is the “Lift” but that is about all they will show you other then one of their pro staff members hunting elk and sheep with the new bow, but they don’t give a clear picture of the bow in these clips.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

If Mathews comes out with a solid new cam I may send my Phase 4 down the road, but we will see. I am pretty picky on ATA and letoff so all the stars need to line up for me to buy another one.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If Mathews comes out with a solid new cam I may send my Phase 4 down the road, but we will see. I am pretty picky on ATA and letoff so all the stars need to line up for me to buy another one.

We will know tomorrow. How do you like that phase 4 ? I shot my buddies a few times and I really liked it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Watching videos online the new hoyt alpha x 33 looks like 1 I will be trying at the bow shop.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>

We will know tomorrow. How do you like that phase 4 ? I shot my buddies a few times and I really liked it.

I like it a lot. I have the 29″ ATA version, and honestly I shot my V3 27 a little better, but this bow is in a great sweet spot for shootability and size. I have a 26″ DL though so me shooting a 27″-29″ ATA bow is about the same as someone with a 29″+ DL shooting the longer 32″-ish ATA bows.

CaptainMusky

I know a lot of guys are switching to crossbows now that it is legal in MN. Are you more of a purist and resisting that temptation? I have the same bow I bought out of HS so I am of no help, but it still shoots about as good as anything out there and fast as heck. Proline Point Blank carbon. Its heavy but shoots very nice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have no interest in shooting a cross bow. I enjoy bow hunting for the challenge. It’s still challenging to x bow hunt but takes alot out of the hunt.
    I enjoy shooting bow. I shoot a few arrows every day off the deck. And it’s a hobby my kid has picked up. I have 0 desire to give him a cross bow. X bows just are not my thing. I didn’t even go that route after I got my permit when I tore my rotator.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Bearcat sent you a PM with a lead for a possible new bow.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thank you I appreciate it

CaptainMusky

I figured that BC I think a lot of long time bowhunters are just like you.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Well Mathews dropped the Lift this morning. If it draws as smoothly as the Phase 4/V3 series bow I will have one on order in short time. Tough to argue with 8 fps more IBO, and that MO Bottomland looks really slick.

Though I should say, my local archery shop just started carrying Hoyt and I shot the RX8 yesterday….and I’ll be darned if I didn’t think about switching to the dark side for a bit.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well Mathews dropped the Lift this morning. If it draws as smoothly as the Phase 4/V3 series bow I will have one on order in short time. Tough to argue with 8 fps more IBO, and that MO Bottomland looks really slick.

Though I should say, my local archery shop just started carrying Hoyt and I shot the RX8 yesterday….and I’ll be darned if I didn’t think about switching to the dark side for a bit.

I’m getting off work soon and going to go shoot the new lift. And re shoot the vtm. And try to not buy one of them. I’ll return with the out come

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Still have time this season to stick one with it too!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Shot the lift, and I’m sold. Looks like it will be cutting into my “IDO-Special” 1-ton daily driver/plow truck fund.

Although just an FYI, Mathews dealers generally don’t get sellable inventory on release day, just a few demo bows for patrons to shoot, then you can place an order.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Shot the lift, and I’m sold. Looks like it will be cutting into my “IDO-Special” 1-ton daily driver/plow truck fund.

Although just an FYI, Mathews dealers generally don’t get sellable inventory on release day, just a few demo bows for patrons to shoot, then you can place an order.

Have you shot a v3x? Is it a decent improvement over that?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>

Have you shot a v3x? Is it a decent improvement over that?

I’ve owned a V3 27, V3X 28, and now the Phase 4 29. I’d say this Lift is a bigger jump over the Phase 4 than the Phase 4 was over the V3/V3X series. The newer (faster) cam, better OE strings/cables, and lighter/straighter riser are more noticeable upgrades IMO. So yes, I’d say for sure shoot one if you’re interested.

At the end of the day, I get a REALLY good deal on Mathews bows through my work, and I figure I probably won’t be with this company forever, so I may as well have some fun with getting a new bow every year or two and am able to pass along a good deal on my used bows to someone else.

That said, once my Lift comes in, I’ll be able to give someone a screaming deal on a Phase 4… toast

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Im looking at getting back into Bowhunting. Anybody in here shoot a left handed bow they are looking to upgrade?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Gotta love when the FW just accepts it at this point.

Me: Shot that new Mathews today

Her: Well, did you order it yet? toast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Gotta love when the FW just accepts it at this point.

Me: Shot that new Mathews today

Her: Well, did you order it yet? toast

That’s how they are supposed to be.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.