Tiller Bimini With Windshield

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

So after freezing again this opener, it reminded me that I’d like to look into a bimini top for my Larson FX1850 tiller. I’d like to use it for early spring and late fall. Not concerned about summer. I love my open layout for the summer. Anyone know of someone that’s had a bimini done or a place that does them where I could have a clear plastic front that would act like a windshield?

I think it would be great for trolling in November on LOTW. Still be able to jig. AND have a sunflower to hold in some heat. Looking for ideas. Not a CanvasCraft fan.

Ripjiggen

Never seen one that has a windshield on a tiller. Only seen the sun tops for a tiller. Where would this clear windshield start at the front of the boat or right in front of you. It is going to be custom that’s for sure. I have a full windshield and had the Bimini up with buddie heater over the weekend and it was a life saver.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I added something like this to my boat…

Attachments:
    1. 1C036617-A24B-468B-8D01-865E2621D96E.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

When you get it figured out let me know.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I got the answer!! full face helmet heated. just like riding your sled LMAO

Ripjiggen

Now you are on to something. What about a motorcycle windshield on a pivot arm on your captain chair.

B-man

I use a paintball mask in my tiller when it’s cold waytogo

But I do remember seeing a full bimini (with a clear front) on a tiller boat before, I think it was on WC a couple years ago

munchy
    NULL

Or bring this picture to your nearest canvas shop and see what they can design for you.

Attachments:
    1. 100_2447.jpeg

Ripjiggen

And now I have seen one. That kind of looks like it might be all or nothing kind of thing not sure where you would stow or store that much plastic. But assuming that would not matter to the OP. I used to think Bimini’s were lame until my current boat came with one. Now I think rain gear is lame.

I am guessing this one was done just to keep the driver dry when driving as it is a Lund after all…. mrgreen

munchy
    NULL

not sure where you would stow or store that much plastic.

Typically you can have a few straps sewn in so you just need to roll the plastics to the top and snap the straps around to hold it up out of the way.

Ripjiggen

I was more talking about all rolled up not in use at all Not sure where you would lay it down in a tiller that is out of the way….not saying it can’t be done just never seen one up close on a tiller.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

My concern was if you’re moving from point A to point B and it’s crappy enough weather to make you want the “windshield” up, would you still even be able to see with all the water on the plastic windows? Being what…4-6 feet maybe from where these windows are would make it even harder to see I think vs. a full windshield on a console boat.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’m thinking of something like this one. I’ve got to find a place that would be able to make it. I’ve got a place that I’m going to call today.

Attachments:
    1. tiller-bimini-with-windshield.jpg

munchy
    NULL

I’m thinking of something like this one. I’ve got to find a place that would be able to make it. I’ve got a place that I’m going to call today.

Do a Google map search for Custom Canvas in the area you’re wanting. Tons of places will do it, just depends on where you’re willing to go. I can personally say Tarps Inc in Savage is good.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

There’s a place here in mound that does custom covers. Permatop. They have been recommended to me by a boat dealer but I’ve never used them so can’t say if they are any good from experience. Gets 5 star Google rating

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Get a 1 man pop up, cut a hole in the back side for the tiller handle and your golden. LOL

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Might have to remove those #TillerLyfe decals… rotflol

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

So I went out to Canvasworks in Cokato this summer. Talked with owner Duane. Awesome dude. He knew exactly what would be good for what I’m looking for and worked it up. Here’s where I’m at so far. I’ve got the top and front done. He’s installed zippers along the sides of the top, so I down the road, if I want, I can add sides to it as well. Here’s photos.

Attachments:
    1. bimini-2.jpg

2. bimini-1.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Very nice. I’m looking for something very similar for my CC. Would you mind sharing the cost? PM me if not comfortable sharing publicly.

I already have a bimini installed.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Very nice. I’m looking for something very similar for my CC. Would you mind sharing the cost? PM me if not comfortable sharing publicly.

It’s not cheap. I can tell you that. And don’t tell my wife, I’m $2300 in to it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Wodziak wrote:</div>

It’s not cheap. I can tell you that. And don’t tell my wife, I’m $2300 in to it.

That is fairly cheap. And yes, you can tell your wife I said so. grin

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Glad to hear you’re happy with Canvasworks. We live near there and have talked to him about a bimini for our boat. Plan on having it done sooner or later. What kind of time frame was this work? I know earlier this summer/spring, his lot was full of boats. Doesn’t seem to be a ton there now.

Fish To Escape

Possible stupid question: how much drag/pressure is on that windshield at speed?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

There are a ton of custom canvas shops near the river. I plan to get my side curtains made by Kuehl’s Canvas in Hudson, WI during the off season. Tried ordering them from a Lund dealer and he said you’re better off going to a custom shop since lead time from Lund was like 12 weeks or something ridiculous.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

His time frame was pretty quick. They had to wait on me. It took about 2 weeks to get completed once I dropped off the boat. I did have to go out after the top was built, so we could decide exactly where I wanted to place it. From there they were able to build the front and the brackets on the front deck.

He said I would not want to drive down the road with the front up, but I would have no problems driving with my 90HP at 32 mph (my max). He said I could definitely go quite a bit faster with no problems.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

at 32 mph (my max

Add in wind.

30 into a 30 is 60… you’ll loose a little on your top end.

I hope you can see through it in inclement weather bud. Nice rig!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

How you going to fish 4 rods out of that? LOL

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.