Lakeville

Brings a whole new meaning to “How Big Is Your Tiller” I read 60+

Follmar
    Seattle Washington

Sounds like a loaded question to me!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Loaded with ponies! I admit it… I have a soft spot for big tiller boats. Mid-40’s in a yar-craft storm is a hoot. I can’t imagine 60… but I’d take up an offer for a ride in an instant.

Chad

That would for surely do 60. It may push 65. I’ve hit 52.5 with my 620T with a 150 Yammie. It cruises at 50 with 2 people and loaded.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Once again I feel inadequate!!!

superdave
    NE IA

Get rid of that console and that thing would be really sweet!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Big tillers may be cool. But I will never go back to a tiller.

evileye
    Milan Il

Quote:

Windshields are for sissy’s

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I got a 75 on my new Mirrocraft 1750.

It’ll do 38mph with me, my gear, 30 gal’s of gas and a full livewell.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Kirt, was this at a PWT event? Who’s boat is it?

That looks like Glenn Keller sitting in the drivers seat? Did he take his FLW winnings and buy a big Lund?

Sully

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

David Anderson has been running a 225 Merc Tiller on his 2090 Warrior all summer. I don’t know the top speed, but maybe someone in the know will chime in.

Remember, bigger is always better.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I saw a what must have been a 20’+ Lund tiller w/ a 250hp on it coming out of Vermilion this spring. It also had pedestal seats side by side (one on each side of the boat). I think you could have comfortably fished 8 people out of it.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Yeah, get that consol out of there. Isn’t that half the reasoning behind a tiller,,,,,,backtrolling and MORE ROOM!!

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

Dave can do about 55 mph with his Warrior with a 225 Opti Max. I’ve got a Yar Craft 2095 BT with a 150 Suzuki and I can hit close to 50.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Windshields are for sissy’s

That does look pretty stupid having a tiller with a console. This guy must like having lots of junk in his boat.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Dan,

My tourney partner Mike has a new Warrior 2090 tiller on order that will have a 200hp Suzuki 4 stroke hanging on the back of it!!! He has said that he hopes to get around 52-54 mph with it!! I’m looking forward to the big 4 stroke and the improvement in gas usage!!!!!!!!!

Chad

Lund – you need the windshield. You ever wonder why they give you a new rain suit when you purchase one…..

Just kidding Lund makes a very nice boat. Just prefer the dryness/Ride/layout of a Ranger. I would give storage to Lund….dunno what else – ahh don’t have to wipe the water spots off as much.

I would think that you would hit 50+ with a 200 Suzuki. I believe the Lund 2010 with the 175 cruises at 55 and most Ranger 620T hit at least 50 with the right prop. I’m running the 21p Salterwater with a 150 getting 50 – 52 GPS. At wide open throttle, you don’t gain all that much for gas mileage.

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Got to love those big tillers!!!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

This is obviously a modification but as many of you know Lund made a Gary Roach signature model that were big tillers with a console. They only made them a few years. On a brisk January morning a console sounds good to this tiller guy.

Sully

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Lund made a Gary Roach signature model that were big tillers with a console. They only made them a few years.

I thought one of the advantages to a tiller is not to have a console. I guess Lund figured that out after a few years, they probably didn’t sell many.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

Quote:

Quote:

This is obviously a modification but as many of you know Lund made a Gary Roach signature model that were big tillers with a console. They only made them a few years. On a brisk January morning a console sounds good to this tiller guy.

Sully

Actually I believe the boat in question is a Pro V LE side console model, I don’t believe there is any modification at all, save for the steering wheel not being there and a grab handle where the steering wheel would be.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Actually I believe the boat in question is a Pro V LE side console model, I don’t believe there is any modification at all, save for the steering wheel not being there and a grab handle where the steering wheel would be.

That’s exactly what I see. Steve Bissett has been doing this before they introduced the 2010.

How do you get around the Cost Guard rating when it doesn’t come off the factory floor with a tiller rating? That is what I can’t figure out.

Is it true boats over 20′ fall into a different category and don’t really have a max horsepower rating for the hull?

Sully

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

From what I know they don’t differentiate from console steering or tiller steering on the coast guard tag, but I could be wrong on that.

Also, I do believe the boat can be rated for anything as long as it is over 20 feet, but there still is a plate from the factory saying what the horsepower is. For instance, the boat I have is a Yar Craft 2095 BT which was rated for 150 when I got it. Since then, the 2095 BT has been re-rated for 175 and they haven’t done a thing different to the boat besides but a new tag on it.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

The coastguard tag HP rating is derived from the boats ability to remain afloat (level floatation) when swamped. Its actually a weight issue, not a hp issue.

This may need to be change in the future if the large weight disparity between 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors doesn’t change.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

According to this ,here is the simple way the coast guard determines the HP rating for boats under 20 feet. There are many other factors involved like transom height. They can also do speed testing to determine HP ratings.

Remote steering
    (2 x L x W) – 90

Tiller steering
    (.8 x L x W) – 25

So if you have a 19 ft boat with an 8 ft transom, the max horsepower rounded up:

Remote steering = (2 * 19 * 8) -90 = 214 = 215

Tiller steering = (.8 * 19 * 8) – 25 = 96.6 = 100

Then the boat maker may take a number less than that, so in this case the remote steering would be a 200hp and the tiller would be a 90.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I once knew a guy who put Indy 400 Polaris stickers, on his Indy 650… Maybe the opposite here ???

big g

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

You don’t suppose length and width have anything to do with bouyancy do you?

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

I once knew a guy who put Indy 400 Polaris stickers, on his Indy 650… Maybe the opposite here ???

big g

Do I know who this person might be?

Josh

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

You don’t suppose length and width have anything to do with bouyancy do you?

I’m sure it does, but then why would the HP rating be different between remote steer and tiller? So buoyancy is only part of the equation. I’m sure safe maneuverability/handling also plays a part. I’m guessing that is built into equation.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.